chapter twenty five: "no regrets."

[luke hemmings]

"louis, why aren't you in bed?"

"uncle callie said you were out with mommy and i got sad because i want to be out with mommy too but then he said you had to be alone because it's important so i got scared and then i couldn't sleep so callie taught me how to play overwatch and then mikey came over and gave me skittles and happy juice so now i'm really hyper and i have so much energy, daddy!"

he bounces on the spot, grinning like a maniac. louis' hair is a mess, sticking out in every direction. his eyes are wide and skittish, never staying fixed on one spot for more than a few seconds. behind him, calum and michael stand, avoiding eye contact with me.

"what do you mean by happy juice, lou?" i ask, sincerely hoping they didn't give the four year old alcohol.

"koolaid, daddy!" he exclaims, clapping his hands together, "they gave me the blue one, the green one, the purple one and the red one! the purple on was icky, so callie poured it down the sink."

i sigh in relief. he's on a sugar high, but at least he isn't drunk.

calum and michael are irresponsible, but at least not enough to give a four year old an alcohol addiction.

"seriously, guys?"

"he was bored, okay?" calum defends, "he was crying for his mommy and daddy, there was no way he would've stopped unless we bribed him."

"you bribe him with new toys, not koolaid." i deadpan.

michael smiles sheepishly, "it seemed like a good idea at the time..."

"you guys will be awful parents."

"daddy? uncle callie said that you went out with mommy and said that you and mommy were getting married soon and said that i would get to go to the wedding and wear fancy clothes and said that s-she could take me to school and said that you love her and said that she loves me."

"callie and mikey are no longer allowed to babysit you."

"what?"

"awh, come on."

"you can't do that to us."

"that's just rude. after everything i've done for you."

rolling my eyes, i gently lift louis into my arms. "i'm taking him to get ready for bed, you two have some explaining to do when i get back."

michael and calum meet each other's eyes and gulp in fear.

"we're fucked, cal."

"it was nice knowing you, bud."

they both gave mock salutes, causing louis to giggle loudly. "daddy i don't wanna sleep! i wanna go see mommy and play minecraft with mikey!"

oh boy, i think to myself, this is gonna be a long night...

-

[carmen leigh]

"can i kiss you... please?"

his nose presses gently against mine, our eyes locked onto each other. i subconsciously poke my tongue out, wetting my lips slightly. luke's eyes flick down to track my movements.

"yes."

at my confirmation, he brings a hand up to cup my chin. he carefully pulls my face forwards, angling it to meet his. i gasp slightly as luke's lips press into mine.