chapter ten: "make daddy proud."

[carmen leigh]

"i don't know, luke. i have work, and i didn't really get a lot of sleep..."

"please, carmen. he won't calm down... he's so upset and it would mean the world to him."

"i don't even know where you live, luke. it could be on the opposite side of town..."

"i'll message you the address. if it's too far, we can always come to you. we ne- no. he needs you."

"okay, fine. i'll see you soon."

"thank you... thank you so much, cammie."

cammie.

the name i constantly have to tell ashton not to call me. the name that's repulsed me ever since him.

i usually hate it when people call me that, but for some weird reason, when it comes to luke, i'm okay with it. it feels... normal. less like he's making fun of me. it's... sweet. like sugar.

a few minutes later, i get a message from luke confirming the address. luckily, it isn't far from where ashton, nova, and i live, so i won't have to go far.

"hey, ash?" i call out to the kitchen, where ashton currently stands by the stove, attempting to make pancakes. "luke needs me to help with louis, do you mind driving me over in a minute?"

he pauses in his cooking, turning around to face me. one of his hands is resting on his hip, and the other is pointing a pancake batter-covered spatula at me. "you better not get up to any funny business, young lady. i am NOT having another pregnancy scare. you know what happened with nova was far from fun."

i nod grimly, the memories rushing back to me.

a couple years ago, nova missed her period. not by a couple of days, or even weeks. by an entire month. the entire house went into chaos. ashton was booking appointments, nova was trying to think of the last person she got 'intimate' with, and i was just thinking of potential baby names.

in the end, she wasn't pregnant. apparently it was related to anaemia or something.

but the panic was still there.

"i know, i know. it's just to calm his son down. according to luke, he's been crying for me."

"i'll drive you, but you owe me chipotle." ashton bargains, still pointing the spatula threateningly at me.

"fine," i sigh, "but not now, later. we have to get there as soon as possible."

[time skip to after the car journey, because no one wants a dialogue of ashton and carmen singing along to 2000s pop music.]

"remember, if he tries anything, stab him in the dick."

"i'm not doing that. i don't have a kife."

"yes you do, check your backpack."

with a concerned glance towards my friend, i unzip my bag. sure enough, next to my wallet, there's a small kitchen knife with a bandaid wrapped around the handle.

a hello kitty bandaid to be precise.

"are you kidding me, ash?"

"nope," he emphasises the 'p', "i'm not taking any risks. this was a collaborative effort between me and nova, by the way. so don't go getting mad at just me."

dear god, i need new friends. preferably ones that don't have access to not-so-lethal weapons.

and cute bandaids.