chapter twenty four: "can i kiss you?"

[carmen leigh]

"ashton keeps a spare key to the back door underneath a loose pathing slab." i explain, slipping my fingers underneath the stone. i gently pry the slab up out of the ground and grab the small, silver key from underneath.

"that's a pretty cool hiding spot." luke's eyes follow me as i make my way to the back entrance.

the door leads into the storeroom, which is piled high with boxed upon boxes of candy. it's any child's dream. i lead luke through the back room and into the front of the store.

the familiar sight of the brightly colored walls was some sort of a comfort. the stressful events of the night so far seemed to dull.

"it's weird being in here after dark..."

"everything is weird after sunset."

i let out a small hum of agreement as i flick the lights on. the room feels oddly empty without the sound of nova and ashton arguing, or the relentless shouting of middle schoolers. though at the same time, being alone with luke feels... nice.

"you want ice cream?" i ask, moving to stand behind the serving counter.

"fuck yeah."

i smile slightly at his eager response. picking up a scoop, i gesture to the flavors, "pick your poison, lucas."

he takes a moment to look over the vast array of different types before deciding. "i think i'll have vanilla, please."

"bleh," i stick my tongue out of the side of my mouth, pulling a silly face, "so boring."

"it's not boring," he defends, taking the cup from my hand when i offer it over.

i go to grab the scoop again so i can serve myself, but luke's hand stops me before i get the chance.

"let me."

the fuck is he up to...

slightly confused, i move back from the counter so luke can get close enough to reach. he hands me the ice cream without even asking what i'd like.

my nose scrunches up in confusion when i realize what he gave me. "caramel?"

he turns to me with a sheepish expression, "uh, yeah... it's what you ordered that time we went out with louis. if you don't like it, i can just switch it out-"

"no," i cut him off, smiling softly, "it's my favorite."

i find it hard to believe that he remembered such a small detail... does he really care that much?

my mind flicks back to the restaurant. he knew i was uncomfortable the entire time, he tried his best to comfort me... he really does pay attention to the small things. matt never did anything like that.

matt never bought me flowers, he never remembered my favorite things, he never noticed when i was getting anxious. he never cared. luke is different. luke is special.

i think i could get used to having him around.

i drop to the floor, sitting with my back against the inside of the counter. luke does the same opposite me, leaning against the wall instead.

"it wasn't supposed to go like this," luke sighs, "i had everything planned out. louis, calum, and michael helped me organize it all. tonight was supposed to be perfect, but i guess it's ruined."

"what? no!" i exclaim, "it's not ruined. i think this is great. sure, the old couple at the restaurant was a bit of a slip up, but it felt great to call them out on their bullshit. and honestly, dinner dates are overrated anyway. we don't need a fancy restaurant to have a nice time."