chapter four: "girlfriend?"

- third person pov -

"you know, louis wouldn't stop crying for you last night."

cam's eyes widened in surprise. she knew the kid liked her, but not that much.

"you're joking, right?"

luke shook his head, keeping his eyes focused on the playset louis was climbing on. "nope. i had to pinky promise that he could see you today, before he even considered calming down."

"damn... i bet his mom hated that."

luke stiffened almost instantly. his entire posture changed completely. his eyes grew dark, and a frown settled on his face. his fists began to clench at his sides.

"that bitch wouldn't give a shit." he spoke through clenched teeth.

shit, i must've touched a nerve... you always screw everything up, carmen.

an awkward silence settled over the two. luke was still silently seething, and carmen was fidgeting uncomfortably.

she'd been so nervous this morning, she didn't even want to get out of bed. nova's mind was made up, though. she wouldn't let carmen stay in bed, even when she bribed her with pancakes.

it's fair to say nova had a few extra bruises by the time carmen was up.

louis slid down the slide and ran towards the pair with a huge grin on his face.

"mommy! daddy! can we get ice cream now?" he pleaded, jumping up and down on the spot. "please please please please?"

luke's expression softened at the sight of the child. even carmen practically melted. he was so fucking cute, and anyone around him could see it.

"okay, lou. make sure you're always holding someone's hand , we don't want you getting lost again. m'kay?"

louis nodded quickly in response. "i promise, daddy."

then, he turned towards carmen. "you have to hold daddy's hand as well. or else, you might get lost. isn't that right, daddy?"

luke just stared at him in shock. when did his child become so forward?

meanwhile, cam was dying on the inside. she had to hug him yesterday, and now, she has to hold his hand? she barely even knows this guy. this is too much physical contact. her and nova aren't even that touchy. ashton, however, is another story...

"i... i think mommy's very capable of keeping herself safe, lou..."

"no she isn't," louis whined, "she's really small, like me! and you're really tall, so you have to protect both of us from the bad guys."

"your dad is right. i'm a big girl, lou. i can fight off all of the monsters by myself." cam spoke with false confidence. she knew for sure that if there were any 'bad guys', she'd hide behind luke straight away.

the man is practically a walking barricade, who could blame her?

luke breathed a sigh of relief. maybe now he'd get away without having to hold her hand.