25 Years, Two Months, and Nine Days ago

25 years, two months, and nine days ago:

My eyes fluttered and I moaned, trying to expel the pounding ache in my head. The curtains were pulled open, unfurling to reveal sunlight flowing through my window, piercing through the thin skin of my eyelids and doing nothing to relieve my agony. I had been sick for days. Ronnie had taken care of me well, as well as anyone can, but nothing could help the heartache sitting like an anvil on my chest. 

Her name was Evelyn, Ronnie told me. Evelyn. She was the daughter of a farmer who had moved from the little ocean kingdom from beyond the mountains, which explained her exotic buttermilk-coloured hair whereas here there was only a sea of reds and browns and occasionally black, like my own hair. She was a peasant.

They were to be married a month later, Ronnie said. 

Evelyn.

He chose her over me. He left me for her without a second thought, without even a glance my way.

I am worthless.

I rushed to the bathroom just in time to throw up what is left of my dinner from last night. Ronnie patiently cleaned it up. I tried to help her, but the tears blurred my vision and the room swam and I almost fell over so she waved me away. I watched helplessly as she wiped away the last of the stains.

"Sorry." I whispered.

Who will pick up my broken parts?

25 years, two months, and seven days ago:

Do you know what a heartbreak feels like?

25 years, two months, and three days ago:

I slid my feet into my slippers, and tiptoed down the hallway, my footsteps echoing in the emptiness of the palace. This was the first time I left my room in more than a week. I took the stairs, ignoring the banister even though there was no one around to criticise me this late, no need for propriety at half an hour before midnight. I opened the doors to the garden, taking a deep breath as I stepped out, and nodded to the lone guard stationed outside the entrance. He would not be awake for much longer.

I didn't think about the last time I was here, that beautiful morning, what I thought was the best morning of my life before the fantasy disintegrated, shattered, its true nature exposed to be only an illusion.

I wandered aimlessly, easily navigating the labyrinthine paths, even in the dark that night brings along with her. It was a long, velvety gown that smothers the world, a long, velvety gown that once lifted would bring a new tomorrow. 

The stars were still beautiful without Casimir by my side.

***

Hi guys! Thanks for not giving up on this story yet :)

Do you think Amethyst will really get over Casimir?