Yesterday

Yesterday:

The swollen moon hung high in the sky, missing only a sliver on its right side. There would be a full moon tomorrow. 

It will be ready tomorrow. Veneficia had told me. It's nearly time.

Four hours ago:

I looked away from the sunset in the sky and watched, mesmerised, as Veneficia tipped the vial of Death's Lace and rose nectar onto a plate, then corked the vial. After two months of preparing the potion, casting spells, sitting it outside for nights in a row, it was finally ready. She held her hand out, and I placed a bright red apple in it.

Her forehead crinkled. "An apple? Nothing fancier?"

I remembered how Casimir and I would have picnics just picking apples. I remembered how he told me I was sweeter than an apple. I remembered the lucky charm in the shape of an apple he gave me once, a long time ago, the one I threw at a wall. I remembered how he once told me he would love me forever. I looked at the apple in her hand, its cheeks scarlet, like blood.

"An apple." I affirmed.

She shrugged and placed the apple on the plate, then started chanting. The clear liquid on the plate seeped up into the apple, droplet by droplet, so that you would never know it was there. I knew that now, instead of sweet, syrupy juice, the apple contained the potion that would change Snow White forever.

She picked it up gingerly. "One bite is all it takes." She told me. "Or a wound." She added. She handed the apple back to me, and I slipped it into my pocket. "You know your plan, yes?"

"As well as I know my name."

"And the spell?"

The spell that would transfer my life to Snow White. I had whispered it so many times that I could say it in my sleep. Of course, it doesn't work without the potion.

"And remember, it will only work--"

"If I mean it with all my heart, if I really--truly-- want to sacrifice my life for hers."

"And it might not work even then." She warned. "Even if everything goes according to plan. She might die even with your life force in her, if she does not love you. Do you know-- can you say for sure that she loves you?"

I lowered my eyes. "No."

"Then you're the only one who can decide if it is worth the risk."

I took a deep breath. How do you explain to someone that a promise you made to someone you love, once upon a time, means everything to you? How do you tell them that even though you mean nothing to him, you love him and you can't bear it if you break something that is, to him, just empty words? How do you tell them that you can never, ever really give up on your own daughter?

You can't, I can't put that kind of emotion into words, so I just say, "It is worth it." And I think she understood.

"You are ready?"

"Yes. And you have the letters, the instructions--"

"Yes. I will rule as Queen until Snow White comes back, and if she doesn't, I will find her. If this dies, I will find a suitable ruler somehow."

"I have bewitched some court members here and there, so there probably won't be any trouble."

"Do not worry about me. I am more than capable of handling this, young lady."

I grinned, but it promptly faded. "I guess this is goodbye, then."

"Good luck," She murmurs. "Because you'll need it. And make sure to go soon. I sense that her demon is growing stronger by the hour. Now go. May the Gods be with you."

I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around her short, stout figure. "Thank you, Veneficia. For everything."

She patted my back, then stopped. "Time is ticking. Fly, you fool!"

I laughed and I turned to leave, walking out of the room with only the apple in my pocket. That was the only thing I needed. But when I started to open the door, Veneficia spoke.

"Your mirror."

I looked back at her, and then at it, the enticing light of sunset reflecting off its smooth surface. "It's yours."

"I gave it to you for a reason, child. Take it with you."

I nodded and took it off the wall, gazing adoringly at the designs on the borders. My faithful mirror. Here with me on my last journey.

And I left.