Two Months Ago

Two months ago:

"What is all this commotion about?" I stalked into the courtyard, taking in the mass of guards huddled together. After hours of intense reading several days in a row, all I was asking for is a peaceful stroll and a rest for my eyes and for my mind.

"Your Majesty, it seems that a peasant has somehow gotten into the premises--"

"You're damn right I did!" I heard a scratchy voice yell, "I have powers you've never even heard of! Powers you couldn't dream of in a million years! And I can visit the Queen whether you want it or not, so you better make this easier for yourselves and let me through!"

"Veneficia?"

"Oh, there she is. Call off your little boys, Amethyst!"

I snickered inwardly, barely managing to keep my pokerface. "Enough, guards. I can take this from here."

"Are you sure, Your Majesty?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Now back to your positions."

"Amethyst!" Veneficia hobbled forward, grinning an almost-toothless smile at me. "So, all fancy and queenly now, huh?"

I led her to my room and closed the door. Then I turned around and grinned back at her. "Veneficia! What a pleasant surprise!"

"And the surprise is going to get even better. After I heard about how much trouble you got yourself into, young lady, I went ahead and found the solution."

My mouth dropped open, not daring to believe it. "The solution? You mean... Snow White? No. That's impossible."

"It is, and you better start believing it. But there's a catch, like there always is. Number one. Snow White only has the chance to live if the pureness in her heart exceeds the demon's evil. Number two. Even if she's pure of heart, once the demon leaves her it may leave her too weak to survive. Number three. There's a spell-- I have it written down right here in my pocket-- that can transfer someone's life force to her which will help, but not just anyone can do it, and that person will die. That person has to be close to her. In other words, she has to love them, and they need to love her. All clear?"

I nodded, trying to take in all the information. "You mean," I whispered. "Snow White has a chance of living?"

"Exactly. Do you still have Death's Lace?"

I nodded again, still numb.

"Good, because the only other ingredient we need now are roses, and two months' time. Interesting, isn't it. A poison on its own will kill. Add a common flower that looks almost identical to the poison and it can save a life. Now, if you let me stay here for a while I can help you with that potion. You'll definitely need help."

I nodded once again, trying to wrap my mind around it. I watched her as she brushed some dust off her cloak and settled onto my couch. I could barely believe it, and I just stared at her gaping, as if speaking would burst that perfect bubble of hope. Snow White could live. My daughter could live. 

I don't have to kill her.