11 Years, Two Months and 28 Days Ago

11 years, two months and 28 days ago:

It was Snow White's birthday again. She was turning eight years old, a truly beautiful little girl. I was proud of her, like any mother would be. I knew that when it was her time, she would be the capable queen I was raising her to be. Her favourite fruit were apples, just like mine, she would spend hours in the garden picking them from the lone apple tree there. And her favourite colour was red.

Red. Red, like blood. She's just like Evelyn...

Her lithe fingers would dance over the piano, her honey voice bursting into a song like liquid gold.

Remember the time she stamped a wounded little bluebird to death?

She was only six years old at the time!

Yet she never had the sweetness, the innocence of six-year-olds...

I reprimanded her. I gave her chores, I taught her to serve her kingdom with good, honest work, I burned away the evil inside her.

It's not enough, it'll never be enough...

Demon. She'll always be twisted on the inside. Evil, unnatural, wrong. 

Evil, unnatural, wrong.

Demon.

Demon.

DEMON.

I screamed out loud to drown out the voices in my head. I screamed because I would go insane if I didn't. I screamed because I was already insane. I screamed and screamed and screamed.

"Your Majesty, are you alright?" A maid asked through the doorway behind me, with worry in her voice.

My scream died out, until I was panting heavily, and I wiped away a stray tear before turning and facing her.

"Yes, just a headache." I forced a smile. "Run along, now. There is a birthday party to prepare for."

She bowed and left. I sighed, getting up and closing the door, then curled up under my blanket, hugging my knees.

Seven years, nine months and 26 days ago:

"Casimir," I murmured.

He looked up, the dark circles sharp under his blank eyes. It's been so long since I've seen life in them that I've almost forgotten what they looked like. Almost. I still see them in my dreams.

"Not tonight, Amethyst."

"Can you free up some time for just one night, please? I really--"

"Not tonight."

I nodded, my throat suddenly dry. I hated how the rejection still stings after hearing it every night for more than a decade. I shuffled away, feeling heavy and empty at the same time, my head bowed low, no tears left to cry.

Love. It's just a word. Yet it can trap your heart in its claws, piercing into it, letting it bleed out. What happened to that fairytale love? The one that's pure and good, the one that overcomes every hardship along the way, the one promises a happily ever after. What happened?