Chapter 5-Relations

Levi POV
I look out the window. Feeling the breeze through my hair and feeling the warmth from the steaming cup in my hand.

I take a sip. A second later I turn a little to see Mikasa walking over and leaning on the window sill next to me.

"I think we should talk. About us. We're family after all."

I feel my eyes widen a little bit to her words
I've always seen Mikasa as one of the other brats. That was until recently. After the first time Eren was kidnapped, I payed more attention to her.
For some reason she was so attached to this kid.

I couldn't understand it. After finding out more about her, I realized why.
I found myself noticing how she was more like me than I thought. We grew up differently, with our own struggles. But, we've become similar.
She reminds me of when I was 15.

A little selfish. Caring at times. And very, very strong.
She's been looking out for me a little more. She's asked about my leg. She's listened to my orders more. Except for her and Eren's insubordination. That was just a mess.

However, I acted the same when I first joined the scouts. When I lost my friends.
My first real friends.

Ever since we found out about us being related in some way, I've never known what to do. She's lost all of her family, Eren and Armin don't have many years left. It must be hard.

She's young, she doesn't deserve this. I've known that we've had to have some sort of conversation about this sooner or later. I have to acknowledge that she is important.

"You're right." I finally respond.

"Wow that was easy!" She says with a surprised tone.

I give her a questioning look.

"W..well I didn't think you'd be okay with discussing this. So I'm just a little surprised." She hesitantly adds.

"It's okay" I sigh.
We both look out the window. Looking at the sky and preparing for what comes next. I continue,

"I think it may be a good thing that we're family. It means that even though you think you'll be alone when Eren and Armin are gone, you won't be. I know I'm harsh. That's how I learned to survive this world. But believe it or not I care. And I need some light in my life anyways. We could do a lot for each other."

There's a moment if silence after I say those words. I remove my eyes from the sky and onto her.

She's crying?

I look at her and she has a tear going down her face while still looking at the view.

"Uh...Mikasa what I said is a good thing, you don't need to cry." I say making everything more awkward.

"No it's not because of that. I'm crying because I won't be alone. I've had you all this time and never realized it. I used to despise you because of how you treated Eren. But now, it makes more sense as to why you did. It's nice to know that I can come to you now and that you'll always be there. No matter how much I love Eren. I don't know if he will ever feel the same. And that hurts. But you make it hurt a little less." She looks at me.

I understand what she meant. It makes sense. I've been a missing piece. Or at least one of them.

I decide to give her a hug.

I face her and bring her closer to me.
She wraps her arms around me and buries her face into my shoulder. It lasts about 10 seconds.
She let's go.
And rubs the tears away from her eyes sniffing and smiling.

I give her a smile back and she leaves the room. I hope no one saw that. I bet they'll get the wrong idea. She's probably a cousin of mine.
I'm glad I found her.