Chapter 6-High Up

Eren POV
I lean forward from the tree I had been resting on for a few hours.

Mikasa and I left HQ last night. We spent most of the night riding and getting some miles out of the way. We both got really tired and happened to be near a small forest. We looked for a sturdy tree and decided to take a break on it.

Just to be safe, we used our ODM gear to get up on a good branch and sleep there. The horses were left down below.

Usually it wouldn't be a big deal to leave the horses alone on the ground. That was until the battle we had recently. The beast Titan, throwing boulders at soldiers and horses....all lives lost

I pull myself out of the thought and look at my surroundings. I use my hand as a way to shield my eyes from the very bright, golden rising sun, the gold fading to a light blue.
My eyes trail to the trees around me. Everything looks just right. In order. Realizing there are still horses with us, I lean over, looking down to check them. There they are resting below the base of the tree.

They look fine too. No titans. No danger.
I feel something touch my shoulder. I jump a little and look on my right.

*sigh*

It's just Mikasa. Leaning on me...

...she looks so peaceful.....I want her to sleep longer.

She needs it.

I make myself comfortable again.
I sit up and hesitantly. I move my arm just enough so her body could naturally fall onto me.

Just as I do that, slowly her head comes onto my chest, and while sleeping, her body adjusts and her head lays on my lap. I freeze.

Moving my hands upwards, afraid to touch the sleeping beauty. Not sure what to do, I keep them up. Looking at her soft raven hair, I can't help but touch it.

I very swiftly, not wanting to wake her, rest one hand on her shoulder and the other on her head. I calmly stroke her hair. From her ear to the nape of her neck.

I keep doing that as I lean my head back on the bark, making the positioning comfortable. My eyes shut and I breathe in the sweet morning fresh air.

I feel as though 4 months ago I was a different person. So much hate was in me. Never thinking clearly, never able to stand my ground. But here I am. Taking adventure after finally finding out the truth about the world.

Mikasa

I am sorry for pushing you away

I'm here right now.

And....
....I want to stay here forever. With You. I don't want to keep fighting people all the time. I wish there could be peace. But, I know there can't be. It's just not fair.

I relax my body even more. Trying to meditate the negative thoughts away. I inhale and exhale.
I'm here. Nowhere else.

Mikasa POV
It's dark again. Struggling, I push myself up from the ground.
Tch

There's pain everywhere.

I rub my hand on the back of my neck flinching as I realize my hair is cut really short. I quickly check to make sure I have my scarf on me.

I do.

Where am I? What's going on?

"Good you're awake." I hear a deep and frightening voice say from the corner of the dark room.

"Huh?" I say with a scared tone, backing away from the voice.

A light flickers on. It's dim but I'm able to see who is standing in the corner.

Eren?

"Eren what's going?"

"You have to stay here."

My eyes widen as I begin to stand up.

"What? Why?!"

"I'm ending this. All of it. You need to stay out of it. It doesn't involve you and you don't need to get hurt." He explains, making me even more confused.
His hair is long again.

It's not in a small bun anymore. It just hangs down to his shoulders.
He seems so mature. His tone has completely changed. I can't tell if it's a good thing or not. Is he just mature? Or is it something else? I don't know.
He cups my face.

"I don't want you getting hurt." He sounds sincere and sweet. His eyes are gleaming with concern.

He starts to lean in and.......

I open my eyes and raise my body up fast. Startling Eren.

*breathing heavily*

"Where...where are we!" I say slightly panicked.
I look around. The sky is a very bright and vibrant blue. We're high up.

memories of coming up here to rest come back to me.

"It's okay Mikasa," Eren says calmly. I can tell he didn't want to sound panicked either just in case it made me worse.

I stare out into space. Eren moves to look at the front of my face.

"You okay?" He asks concerned.
"It was just a dream." I say.

"Look whatever you dreamed about, it's okay. You're okay. Don't worry." He says reassuring me.

I sigh, placing myself back to where I was, ignoring the fact that it's on Eren's lap. It was comfortable.

I snuggle up closer to him. I feel him tense up for a moment. Not sure if he's comfortable, I look at him. His eyes relax and he gazes at me.
Then continues to cares my hair.

I start, "we were in a dark room. You told me you were gonna end everything. Stop the enemies. That you didn't want me getting hurt..."
He stops stroking my hair.

"Sounds intense. You think it'll go that way? I'll need to end everything?" He asks, not sure of it himself.

"Who knows. We haven't even met these people." He remains quiet, relaxes.

I can't do this. I can't lie here on him without him knowing about how I feel. We don't have time for this.
There was a point to coming out here and it was to explore.

I sit up and get up quickly, turned away from Eren.
He stands up behind me. I start getting my things together. Packing up everything that was out from when we ate before falling asleep.
I turn towards him while putting the rest of the fruit back in my pack. Looking down until I see a hand touch mine.

I freeze and look up to see two dazzling eyes looking into mine. For a few seconds, we stay like that. No movement.

Nothing.

Eren....I love you.

End of chapter! I'm so sorry this took so long! I wasn't sure of how to even start the chapter and I've just been having some writers block. Hopefully next chapter won't be as long of a wait!