Chapter 6

Alexei's parents shrink backwards in fear when they shake hands with my mother. This has to be the first time I have seen any adult get scared of my Ma. It's unsettling to watch, because she is one of the nicest people on earth; she wouldn't hurt anyone.

"I'm sorry for the way this was all arranged," Ma speaks directly to Alexei's mother before turning to his father. "It was all very sudden and, as you can imagine, quite pressing."

I sneak a glance at Alexei as our parents converse with one another. He looks as nervous as his parents, but he still smiles when I catch his eye. In that way, at least, it is nice that our parents are pretending we don't exist.

When I look back over to Alexei's parents, they are nodding at Ma without responding, but she doesn't miss a beat. "Is there somewhere private we can talk?"

"Of course," Alexei's father gets up and leads them out the door of the dining room. I get up to follow, but my mother places her hand on my shoulder to stop me.

"Maria, you will stay here with Alexei. This doesn't concern you."

"But I-"

It certainly does concern me. It's my life we're all discussing.

"No. You and Alexei will remain here," it was clearly an order. I had never seen her face so stoic.

"Yes, ma'am," Alexei spoke on my behalf, "we will, of course, wait here."

I sat down in a chair and stared at a patch of wallpaper as I listened to my Ma's footsteps disappear down the hallway. Soon, I cannot hear them anymore.

Alexei speaks first, his voice soft as a whisper, "I'm sorry you had to see this."

I pull my eyebrows together in confusion. "See what? It's my Ma who is acting in a way no one wants to see."

His eyes beg me to understand as he waves his arm in a circle around his head. "This," he sighed.

Suddenly I realize what he means. "Have you been keeping me away from your house on purpose?" I ask him.

He shrugs, "Yes. I thought it was obvious."

Could this day get any more weird?

"Why?" I thought we were going to get married one day. Why was he hiding things from me?

His breath is shaky as he crosses his arms. "I am scared if you see how we live, you won't want to be in this family. I thought if I could get a nice house and a position, you'd never have to know."

I cannot believe he wouldn't have shown me his home before we got married, "Never have to know what?"

"How I grew up," he answers as though it is obvious.

"Why would how you grew up have anything to do with my choosing to marry you?" it slips out before I can stop it, and I slide my hand over my mouth in horror. Why was I being so candid?

I am expecting him to be nervous at my proclamation, but instead he starts laughing. I want to be upset with him, but he is laughing so hard I'm actually concerned he might forget to breathe.

"Are you okay?" I ask as he is doubled over holding his side.

"Yes," he manages to squeak out between fits of laughter. "Yes, I'm fine."

He has finally snapped.

When he finally stops behaving like a hyena, he answers my question, "It would matter to everyone but you, dear, that I grew up this poor."

Thankfully, he left out my mention of marriage.

"But why?" I hadn't ever considered how much money his parents had. "You can easily provide for a family with the position you've been offered. What is there to worry about?"

"Ah, I could kiss you!" he exclaims, making a fire burn in my cheeks as I look at my lap. I could kiss you, too, if it wouldn't land us in prison.

We are silent long enough that I can compose myself.

"So," I risk looking up at him and see no sense of shame or embarrassment now, "can we discuss the real problem now? That hand holding."

He furrows his brow, "I thought our parents were discussing that right now. What is there to do besides wait to hear their decision?"

"Well, their decision," I lean into the word with distaste, "is to do nothing and hope the problem just disappears. So I'm not really on board with letting them decide anything for me at the moment."

"They must have a reason, though," he starts, but I interrupt him before he can continue.

"If they do, they won't tell me. All they keep saying is, 'it's better this way than accidentally alerting the police ourselves' or something. Which makes no sense."

He lets his eyes wander the room as he considers the options.

"I'm not sure," he finally replies. "Maybe they are right."

I'm fairly certain my eyes are popping out of my head as I stare straight into his eyes, my mouth slightly open. "How on earth could that be right, Alexei? You might end up in jail if we aren't careful here."

"And you might end up in jail if you start tampering with evidence in what might become a police investigation," his voice is firm but quiet. "I won't have you going to jail to save me from some minor offense."

"Well, then," I smile at him, "What if neither one of us actually did anything?"

"Then we'd be doing just what our parents ask," Alexei furrows his brow in confusion. "Was it not you who said that was a bad idea?"

I love him, but he can be really dense.

"No," I stare at him to see if he is understanding me, "I mean what if we can convince someone else to do it?"

"And what are we convincing this someone else to do, exactly?" He isn't understanding me at all, so being direct is probably the only option I have. "What if someone else got rid of that video footage of what happened? With no evidence, there is no case."

His mouth is open in response when the footsteps in the hall signal the return of our parents. We are forced to drop our conversation and pretend we will abide by their decision. I search his face for any indication that he might agree with me, but he gives me none.

I guess I am in this by myself, then.

We stand up and exchange the usual pleasantries before we are escorted to the door and our coats and gloves are returned to us. As we are about to leave, I feel Alexei stand behind me, closer than he should.

"I love your idea, Maria," he whispers into my ear, "I know someone who can help."

I guess I'm not alone after all.