Chapter 16

Somehow, we manage to escape the dinner rather unscathed, though I do have to stop several times on my way to the door to show off my beautiful ring. It is easy to talk to people, though, because my face hurts from smiling so much. I've been waiting for this moment for months, maybe years if I'm being honest, so I'm just glad it's finally here.

When we finally get through the crowds and back outside, Alexei leads the way to my house. We walk silently along the sidewalk, meeting no one along the way. We are standing in front of my house looking at the door when Alexei finally breaks the silence.

"I'm glad you said yes," he smiles at me in the dim light of the night sky.

"I'm glad you asked," I smile, too. I don't know if I'll ever stop smiling.

"Do you want me to stay while you tell your mother?"

"Do you want to leave before morning?"

He laughs loudly enough that anyone sleeping in my house likely isn't asleep anymore. "Probably I should go. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes," I offer him my hand and he kisses it before he leaves. I hate these stupid rules.

I watch him walk until I can't see him anymore. Then I stare at the darkness for a moment before I turn and open the door to my house. When I step inside, I allow a small sigh of relief to escape my lips. It seems Alexei didn't wake my family.

I take off my coat and shoes before tiptoeing to the kitchen for a glass of water. Somehow I managed to drink barely anything at dinner. I can't believe I'm engaged. I mean, I can believe it, but it's so surreal. What am I going to tell Ma?

I wash my glass and put it away, almost forgetting my gloves on the table as I leave the kitchen. That's one way to get caught! I pick them up and pull up my skirt to walk back through the house as quietly as possible.

"Hello, Maria," Ma speaks out of the darkness of the living room, causing me to drop my gloves and shout in fear. I thought I would have until morning to figure out what to tell her.

"Ma!" I gasp, searching for her face in the darkness. Is she invisible?

"Come take a seat, Maria," it sounds like Ma is patting the couch beside her so I squint, trying to see where I am going as I search for the couch.

Stumbling as I crash into the coffee table, I finally find my way to a seat on the couch. My eyes are starting to adjust to the darkness so I can see faint outlines of things now.

"Can we turn a light on?" I ask when Ma doesn't say anything.

"No, Maria. It is far past curfew."

Is that what this is about? Curfew?

"I had permission, Ma."

"I know, but we do not have permission to have lights on at this hour, regardless of your special occasion," her voice bites me.

"I didn't mean to cause trouble," I look down at my lap, just in case she can see me.

"Is that why you stole the video of Alexei holding your hand?"

Oh. No. She knows.

My breath comes in spurts as I try to speak, but all that comes out is bits of words that don't make any sense.

"Did you really think I wouldn't find out, Maria?"

I can't see her face, but I know what it looks like.

"I just. . ." I don't know how to explain, "I just want to keep Alexei safe."

"And this is how you thought you could do that?"

"Well, yeah," I shrug, and then realize she can't see me. "I mean, it seemed better than just 'do nothing and wait.'"

I can feel her shaking her head, though I cannot see her. I hate that she is disappointed.

"You really thought we weren't going to do anything?"

Um, yeah. That's what you said. "Yeah, I guess I did."

"And so you decided to commit another illegal act to fix your problem?"

"Well, not exactly. A friend of Alexei's-"

"You got someone else involved in this?"

"Yes?" I don't know what to say. Nothing feels safe right now. "What else was I supposed to do?"

"Well, preferably nothing illegal! How many times did I tell you not to break more laws to cover up this one mistake? Did you really think your father and I would let anything happen to you if they came knocking?"

"What could you have done?"

"We were handling the video," she reaches out and puts her hand on my knee. "We retrieved the other copy and destroyed them both. It's all over now."

"Other copy?" I thought Alexei said there was only one, and I was pretty sure I had it. Well, Jem now, I guess.

"The breech at your father's work the other day?" she waited for me to respond like I was supposed to know what was going on.

"Yeah, what about it?" I ask, "Is that why he isn't here?"

I can hear her shake her head, "No, that was him wiping the system of your indiscretion."

Oh. I really should have figured that out. "So what happens now? Is Dad in trouble?"

She pauses, "No."

"Am I in trouble?"

Ma sighs and stands up before responding, "I don't think so, dear. But you are going to have to speak to Alexei and make sure this never gets out. It's very possible his boss already knows and I don't have to tell you that could spell big trouble for you two."

She walks a few steps before stopping and turning to face me. "Just be careful, Maria. You'll soon be the head of your own house, in charge of these things for yourself. I'm scared you aren't prepared to clean up your own messes. I feel your father and I have failed you there."

"You didn't," I shake my head as I get up to follow her upstairs.

When she hugs me goodnight, my ring glistens in the moonlight streaming through the window at the end of the hall.

Ma catches a glimpse and smiles. "Goodnight, dear. You'll have to tell me more about that in the morning."

"Goodnight, Ma," I say to the door she closes between us.