Chapter 9

I have to spend the whole morning helping Ma clean out our storage room and put all the food items neatly in our pantry. Apparently, we had been hiding quite the mess during my exam. Ma is more of a rebel than I thought. We aren't quite finished, but Ma decides we can take a break to prepare and eat lunch.

Thankfully, Ma remembers my exam results without me having to tell her, so she allows me to leave after lunch without helping her to clean up. My next-youngest sister is forced to help, and I'm very glad looks cannot kill.

As soon as Ma lets me leave, I pull my sweater on and tie my shoes as fast as possible. If it were possible to run without getting in trouble, I would have done it. As it is, I walk as quickly as I can until I get to the government office.

"I'm here to pick up my results," I tell the woman working behind the counter, "My ID number is 5408643. First name Maria."

She flips through her cards until she finds my identification number. I'm itching to see my results as she slowly walks over to another cabinet and searches through it for the file containing my results. That seems wildly inefficient, but what can I do except wait?

It's very hard to keep my foot from tapping as I wait for her to hand me the envelope that contains my exam results.

"Sign here," she hands me a pen and a paper with more lines than I can count. She doesn't look up or give me any indication of what I'm supposed to do.

"Sign where?"

She points to a line halfway down the page, "Here."

I still have no idea where to sign, so I guess which one she must have pointed to and just hope I did it right.

"Have a pleasant day," her monotone voice rings out as I turn to leave, "Thank you for accessing your government services."

Like I would do it if I had another choice.

I hold the envelope to my chest as I walk towards the park where Alexei is supposed to meet me. He told me I could open my results and tell him later, but I want him there when I find out. Though he can't hug me if it goes poorly, I crave his reassurance.

"Hello, Maria," Alexei waves to me from the bench across the pathway and beckons me over. He brought us sandwiches.

I pick up my pace and walk over the Alexei, sitting down beside him on the bench.

"Hello, Alexei," I offer him my gloved hand to kiss. I only wear them so he can kiss my hand. I'm sure he knows.

I ignore the sandwiches sitting on the bench between us, slide my gloves off, and open the envelope in my hands. I slide the paper out of the envelope, but I can't bear to look at it.

"Tell me what it says," I hand it to Alexei.

When he doesn't say anything, I look over to see his face. His smile tells me everything I need to know.

"I passed?"

"You definitely passed," he handed me back my score sheet, "superior pool."

"What?" I snatched it back from him, "I did not!" I read the score sheet as he chuckles and opens one of the sandwiches.

"I did," I finally admit when he is halfway done his sandwich.

"My boss is going to be over the moon," Alexei laughs again, despite the sandwich in his mouth. "Congratulations!"

"I don't know how I did it, but I have to tell my Ma," I start to gather my things to go.

"Wait!" Alexei practically shouts though his mouth is full of food, "I have to talk to you about something else."

I put my gloves and envelope back on the bench, fold my hands in my lap and wait for him to continue. He hands me the other sandwich and waits until I open it before he speaks.

"I had a word with my," he searches for the word, "contact."

I'm sure my face betrays my confusion as I raise an eyebrow at him.

"About the task your Ma came to talk to my parents about?"

Why is he being so cryptic? Oh!

"Yes, I do remember that you had a contact."

"Well," he smiles and holds out a small disk, "this is the item we asked him to procure. He assures me this is the only copy, so now all we have to do is destroy it. Would you like to do the honours?"

I shake my head, "Alexei, we can't do that here! We'll get in trouble all over again."

His cheeks burn a deep shade of red as he slides it into my results envelope, "How about you dispose of it later. I have a feeling your parents will be more understanding than mine."

And just as quickly as he brought it up, it is over. All I have to do is destroy this and we will be free of this whole - what would the government call it? - indiscretion.

I fold over the flap on the envelope and place it on the bench between us as I continue eating my sandwich. Alexei, who has long since finished eating, watches me eat.

"So," he begins after a long pause, "I was wondering if you want to celebrate your results. I know we have my company dinner to go to and I'm sure they would love to recognize you for making the superior pool."

I almost choke on my sandwich, "What?"

"You don't have to say yes," he looks down at his legs, trying to avoid looking at me. "I just know Mr. Giovanti would love to brag that someone like you will be joining the company family. It comes with a pretty fancy desert and probably a bonus on some of the features of our home."

I don't think I understand what he is saying.

"So, let me get this straight," I finish my sandwich and turn to face him. "I achieved top marks in my exam and now, if I let the company brag about me and take my picture, they will pay us for it?"

He nods.

"How does that make sense?" I raise my arms in question.

He laughs, "Oh, it doesn't!"

I laugh, too. Thank goodness he agrees that this is ridiculous.

"But, I could do it, right?" I look at him, and he immediately stops laughing.

"Would you? Really?" he looks at me earnestly, "I don't want you to do something you don't want to do."

"Oh, I definitely do not want to do it," I look directly into his eyes, "but I am going to if it means they're going to give me fancy furnishings and a beautiful backyard. Where do I sign up?"

He sighs, "I thought you were going to hate me for bringing it up."

"Why? Because the whole system is broken?"

He nods.

"Well, it is," I lower my voice to avoid anyone hearing me, "but that doesn't mean I'm going to turn down nice things from your boss."

He smiles at me, "I'll escort you home now, if you please."

I put my gloves back on, carefully pick up the envelope, and walk beside him as we make our way towards my house.