Chapter 12

Our walk through the living room reveals Jem has not cleaned it yet, though that doesn't bring me much comfort as the disk is already missing. When we finally reach the kitchen and talk to Ma, Elisa describes the washing mishap in detail. Ma just nods, her face stoic and calm. I know she will be understanding.

"Is that what you were so worried about?" Ma kisses her cheek and smooths her hair, "And why you asked Maria to help you with the mending?"

Elisa just stares at her feet as she nods.

"And you are worried now about telling Jem?" Ma asks as Elisa nods again.

"Well, then," she gives Elisa a hug. "I will help you tell Jem once your sister and I are finished here, all right? Just go finish your mending for now."

"Thank you, Ma!" Elisa jumps up and kisses Ma's cheek before running off back up the stairs to hide away from Jem.

I follow Ma to the sink where she is washing dishes, pick up a towel, and dry the clean dishes before putting them away. We go on like that for several minutes in silence, each thinking to ourselves, I suppose.

"Maria, I've been thinking," Ma began as I was putting the plates away.

"Yes?" I answer when she doesn't continue her question.

"I was thinking that this dinner tomorrow is probably quite an important event and I don't think you have anything very suitable to wear, so I was hoping you'd let me accompany you to the seamstress tomorrow and see if she can fix something up for you."

"I doubt she can make a whole dress by tomorrow," I shrug, "I'm sure I can find something in my closet that will be suitable."

Ma's face turns red as she washes the same plate a third time. "I actually had her start some dresses for you several weeks ago."

Why would she have had dresses made for me weeks ago? I'm staring at Ma with my eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"I was hoping you might have something to celebrate," she waits to see if I understand before adding, "After you completed your exams."

Oh.

"And that thing hasn't happened yet?" I ask to confirm my suspicions. "Which is why I don't have the dresses yet?"

Ma just nods. What do you know that I don't?

I decide it's best to just drop the talk of my engagement to Alexei and allow her to take me shopping. "I'd love to go, of course."

She hugs me, soapy water from her hands soaking through my dress and cooling my back.

"I want to make a good impression at this dinner tomorrow," I try to make excuses for allowing her to dress me, "I guess if I do a good job, they'll give Alexei some kind of bonus on his home."

"Has he asked you yet, dear?" Ma asks the question that's been hanging between us for hours, if not days.

"Not officially, Ma," I dry the last plate and put it away. "But we've talked about it. I think we all know it's just a matter of time. Everything is in line now."

"Oh, maybe he'll propose at the event!" Ma's eyes are alight with excitement.

I groan, "I hope not. There's going to be enough eyes on me at that thing."

"But isn't it a family gala?" she asks, draining the water from the sink and cleans off the faucet.

"Yes?" I don't know what she's getting at so I wait to see if she will expand. When she doesn't, I decide I don't want to know and drop the subject. The less I know, the less I can worry.

"Well, I think we're done here," Ma surveys the kitchen, completely ignoring what we were just discussing.

"I think we are," I am so eager to be done that I almost trip over my own feet as we leave the kitchen and walk through the dining room into the empty living room.

As Ma goes upstairs to help Elisa talk to Jem, I know my last opportunity to find that stupid video has arrived. I scan the area near the couch, but see no sign of it. The only explanation is that it's still under the couch. I must have missed it last time.

I am splayed out on my stomach, torso under the couch, when I hear someone clear their throat from the doorway toward the foyer. I'm in trouble. There's no way to hide what I'm doing, so I try to think of a plausible reason for my situation.

Slowly, I slide myself out from under the couch and sit up to look towards the noise. There, standing in the doorway, is Jem. And she is holding my disk.

"Looking for this?" she asks.

What on earth am I supposed to do now?

I decide to not respond to her as I stand up, smooth my dress out, and walk towards the doorway. When I reach it, she stands to block my way with her arm.

"I'd like to go upstairs, please," I try to push past her, but she doesn't let me.

"I'd like to know what this is," her eyes narrow as she looks into mine, tapping the disk with her finger.

"I don't know what you mean," I respond, slipping past her and climbing the stairs.

"If you don't tell me, I'll have to give it to Ma," she threatens, following close behind me.

"Then I guess you should give it to Ma," I speak without turning to look at her. Normally, I would have, but I'm certain she will see the worry written all over my face if I do.

"I don't want to do that," Jem relents when she reaches the top of the stairs.

"Then don't," I reply and close my door between us.

I don't know what she is going to do, but I'm pretty sure she will tell Ma. I figure I've got about ten minutes to figure out how I'm going to explain it before Ma breaks down my door.

 I figure I've got about ten minutes to figure out how I'm going to explain it before Ma breaks down my door