Chapter 7

I spend the rest of the day following Ma around, completing various tasks as a part of my practice exam. When I finally get home, she makes me clean the entire house. That is a part of my exam, so I cannot blame her, though I still don't enjoy it.

I don't even remember dragging myself up to bed until I wake up in the morning.

I look at my clock to see that it is an hour earlier than I usually wake up. I groan as I roll out of bed. I have to get ready for my exams. I dread the exam, but if I can manage to pass, I will officially be allowed to marry whomever I choose and do whatever I please. Well, as long as I follow the law. Not that my track record is so great with law-abiding.

If I fail, though, I will have to spend another year in my parents' house retraining before I can take my exams again next year. What's worse, though, is that Jem will forever have bragging rights because she passed on the first try. Everyone knows Jem is better at this than I am, but I don't want her to have proof.

"Maria?" Ma knocks on my door before entering. "Are you up and ready for your exam?"

"I'm awake, Ma," I put on my best hostess voice, preparing for the day, "But I'm not up yet. I was just about to get ready and tidy up."

"Excellent," she walks over to my window to check that the blinds are closed, "Make sure you open these once you are presentable."

"I know, Ma." I smile at her, "And aren't you supposed to be letting me handle this? Isn't telling me what to do cheating?"

She acts shocked at the accusation, but winks at me before she leaves the room. I guess she probably just wants me to be successful.

I pull myself out of bed and tidy my room, make my bed, and clean the floors. When I am sure everything is proper, I take the time to have a long shower to steady myself. Something about the warm water relaxes me.

When the water starts to run cold, I get out and get ready for my day. I am careful to ensure my make up is unnoticeable and my hair is perfectly in place. That's one of Ma's tricks, actually. If I do my hair while it is wet, a little hairspray goes a long way and I don't have to turn my hair into a helmet to keep rogue pieces from flying every which way.

When I have completed the delicate braids, I struggle to get the knot just right. I am fighting with a pin on the back of my head when Jem knocks on my already open door.

"I know I'm not allowed to help you," she smiles kindly, "but if you'll let me, I'd like to anyway. Can I take the laundry downstairs for you? I know you know how to do that."

Ma breaking the rules wasn't so surprising, but Jem breaking the rules was unheard of.

"Yes, please. And Jem? Thanks," I am practically shaking as she comes over, kisses my forehead, and takes the laundry out of the hallway towards the basement.

She stops at the top of the stairs and turns around, "Maria, you can do this. I know it's hard and a lot to remember, but it isn't so bad. You know this stuff."

I don't answer her, so she waits for a moment or two before turning on her heel and taking the laundry down the stairs to the washing machine. I am grateful for her, but I am also annoyed. Of course she thinks it's easy, but the problem is I'm not her.

When my hair is done, I open the blinds and tie the apron around my waist to protect my skirt as I finish tidying up the house. We had completed most of the tasks last night as the only stipulation for the exam is that I have to be the one with final say. So if I told Ma to put a dish in the wrong spot last night, she would have to do it and I'd have to suffer for it later.

With all the rules Ma was willing to bend, I really wish she hadn't made me follow that one.

My mind turns to the situation with Alexei. Perhaps it's for the best she's making sure I know the rules without her help. I am on a schedule, though, so I can't think about this too long.

When I am satisfied that the house is in order, I begin preparing the tea and breakfast which I will serve to the examiner and my family as the home-based portion of my exam.

"Ma!" I call loudly enough for her to hear me from her room upstairs. "Would you mind assisting me with breakfast?"

"Try again, dear," she called down the stairs. I'm never going to pass this exam.

"I mean, I would like some assistance preparing breakfast," I think I get it right that time, so I add, "Please."

"I'll be right down, Maria." Thank you.

I get to work while I wait for Ma to come down and assist me. I need to figure out exactly what needs to be done so I can instruct her properly. If I don't do this right, we won't have a meal to serve at all.

"I'm here to assist, Maria," Ma smiles to reassure me as she ties her own apron around her waist.

"Please set out the plates and cutlery and then boil the water for the tea."

"Of course, Maria."

It's weird that Ma is acting like I'm the one running the household, when that is normally her job.

With Ma's help, I am able to get most things done to my satisfaction, and I only have to throw out one attempt at toast. Given my culinary skills, I consider that a success.

"Maria?"

"Yes, Ma?"

"You may want to check the stove, dear."

I take the pot off the heat just in time to save the eggs from burning. I look at Ma and she winks at me; another rule broken! And she wonders where I get it from.

By 8:45, I am satisfied with everything, so I take off my apron and hang it up on my hook in the kitchen. I spend most of the fifteen minutes left pacing the entry way and double-checking that everyone's items are on the correct hooks. I feel like I've been waiting an hour.

At precisely nine o'clock, I hear three sharp taps on the front door followed by the announcement, "Examiner Jessop here unaccompanied."

I count to three in my head before walking to the door and opening it, "Examiner Jessop, please come in. May I take your coat?"

Like she would say no? Hanging up coats is literally a part of the exam.

"Yes, thank you," she says, as my exam begins.