Chapter 15

Apparently, Mr. Giovanti had suggested that Alexei propose to me in front of everyone at the gala to show how much he values our partnership or something like that.

"So he just wanted you to spring it on me?" I ask, shocked. "I can't believe that! I'm not some kind of business deal!"

Alexei raises an eyebrow and twists his mouth into a half smile, "To him, you kind of are."

I grimace. He's right, though. Mr. Giovanti views me as something that will gain his company prestige. But that only works if Alexei manages to convince me to marry him.

"So he wants us to be engaged before he honours me because he doesn't want to waste time on someone who won't be, how does he like to put it?" I search for the words, but Alexei answers before I find them.

"In the family."

"Yes, that's it. In the family."

"I'm sorry, Maria," he inspects his shoes while he speaks, "I didn't ever want to propose to you like this. Where it felt like a business deal instead of what it is."

I decide to risk it as I use one of my fingers to lift his chin so he can see my eyes. "I couldn't ever feel like it was a business deal, Alexei. We've been talking about this for years and it was perfect."

I think for a second before I add, "And honestly, the reason we're here at all is to show off our relationship."

He nods, trying to gauge my reaction.

"So, why don't we really give them something to talk about when you unexpectedly propose to me up on that stage tonight?"

He pulls his brows together in confusion.

"No one has to know what happened here except you and I. Let's give him something to talk about. Then let's accept his many housing bonuses and live in a mansion fit for more children than we'll ever have."

His eyes are popping out of his head.

"Come on!" I start walking back to the party. "But you will have to tell me what the proper response is so I don't embarrass us."

It takes him a few seconds to snap out of his thoughts and follow me, but it doesn't take him long to catch me.

"Are you sure about this?"

If he is searching for some kind of disapproval, he won't find it. I'm here to make a good impression with his boss and solidify our being able to marry.

"Yes, I'm sure. I already said yes once, didn't I?"

His eyes twinkle as a smile creeps onto his face, "Yes, you did."

"And I'll do it again."

He shakes his head and smiles, "I can't believe you."

"I've always been a bit of a rebel when it comes to doing what I want," I shrug. "But you will need to put that ring away if you don't want people to know you proposed already."

"You really are something else."

We make sure the box is securely in his pocket and I know what to say before we walk back towards the building. I allow him to lead, as I should, before we reach the house. If anyone is watching, they will see that we always behave in accordance with regulations.

* * *

Alexei and I are the only ones left in the small room as Mr. Giovanti stands on the stage. He has completed the rest of the program and we know what is coming next.

"I'm delighted to welcome to the stage our newest recruit Alexei and his companion, Maria," Mr. Giovanti announces from the stage as the door opens in front of us.

I bow my head to the room, and I assume Alexei does too. Then we step out into the lights of the stage and walk over to shake Mr. Giovanti's hand.

We are ushered to the middle of the stage and I cannot see anything beyond the edge of the stage because of all the bright lights in front of my face. Here goes nothing.

"Alexei would like to say a few words before we go on," Mr. Giovanti addresses the crowd and then winks at Alexei before handing over the microphone.

"Thank you, Mr. Giovanti," Alexei addresses the gathered crowd with ease. I wonder if he is this good of an actor, or if not being able to see anyone is making him less nervous.

"Just before we continue with your award, Maria," he faces me and gazes into my eyes. I knew this was coming, but my heart is still beating in my ears as I try to remain calm.

". . . be my wife?" he speaks the end of his proposal before getting down on one knee and offering the ring.

I take the microphone from him and speak clearly so the whole room can hear me, "It would be my honour." I bow my head as he stands to offer me the ring.

I hand the microphone to Mr. Giovanti, who has somehow materialized beside me. When my hands are free, I slip off my left glove and pick up the ring from the box. "It's so beautiful," I breathe, seeing it under the bright lights.

The whole room applauds as I slide the ring onto my finger and turn to face the crowd, flashing the ring in a way I hope they are capable of seeing. I risk a brief glance at Mr. Giovanti. He seems immeasurably pleased with us.

Once the applause has died down, Mr. Giovanti announces my recent success on the exam and my status before honouring me with some type of contribution award that I don't hear the name of. I graciously accept it and, mercifully, no one asks for me to give a speech.

I am hastily ushered off the stage and shown to my seat at the front table with Alexei, Mr. Giovanti, and three other people I don't know. Fortunately, dinner protocols require that guests remain in their chairs in almost complete silence, so I am spared from the inquiries of those around me as I eat the three course meal placed in front of me.

 Fortunately, dinner protocols require that guests remain in their chairs in almost complete silence, so I am spared from the inquiries of those around me as I eat the three course meal placed in front of me