Chapter 19: Epilogue

Five Months Later

I walk into our living room and sit on the couch, pulling my feet up underneath me as I do so. No matter what we would have to face, I was glad to face it with Alexei.

Somehow, since our wedding, I've adapted to not running to Ma for every little piece of advice. I'm surprisingly competent when I put my mind to it. And now that we have a house to move into, I'll be able to run my own household. Finally.

"Did you think we'd get this much?" I ask as Alexei sits down beside me, having finished placing the books neatly on the bookshelf.

He shakes his head, "No. I imagined maybe a nice large dining room where we could entertain. Never," he pauses to think of the words as he gestures to our, well, mansion.

"Never something of this magnitude," I agree. "I think it might be nicer than Mr. Giovanti's house, actually."

"Don't let him hear you say that or he'll probably make us trade."

We both laugh at the thought of Mr. Giovanti being jealous of our house.

"I guess he will be expecting me to host a lot of parties and gatherings," I say, getting up to align the shoes in the foyer.

"Probably," Alexei shrugs, "I don't know how else he'll make sure we are staying in line."

I let out a bitter laugh, "If only we could be rid of him."

When Alexei doesn't answer, I wander back into the living room to look for him, but he isn't there.

"Maria!" Alexei calls to me from our kitchen, "I can't find the apron."

"Keep your voice down," I swat playfully at his arm as I step into the kitchen, "The blinds are drawn but the neighbours are nosey."

"Those are my coworkers you're talking about!" he gently flicks the tea towel at my arm.

"And?"

"And you are right, they are very nosey." He leans in and kisses me more than the government would allow.

"What are we having for dinner, Chef Alexei?" I hold on to his arm after he breaks off the kiss.

"Maria!" he chuckles as he starts slicing onions. "We both know I never set foot in the kitchen. I have an excellent wife who cooks very well."

"As far as any of them are concerned!" I exclaim, patting his shoulder. "But we know differently."

"It's pasta," he kisses me one more time. "Now why don't you go dress for dinner so we can go for a nice walk around the neighbourhood."

"I'm exhausted," I sigh. "But I guess if we give them something to talk about, they'll leave us alone a little longer."

"You learn quickly," he smiles, sliding the onion into the frying pan. "Now go."

I take my time getting dressed and pinning up my hair properly. I will forever be grateful that this hairstyle is easier than the last.

When I finally descend the stairs, I can already smell the delicious sauce that Alexei - I mean that I - have prepared.

I make my way to the kitchen to help him serve our meals and then we sit down at the table to enjoy our first date in our new house.

"Cheers to us!" he says when we finish the meal. We both raise our glasses.

"Cheers!" I add, taking a sip.

I stare into his eyes for several minutes after we put the glasses down.

"I love you," his whisper gently breaks the silence.

I lean forward and take his hand in mine, "I love you, too."

I pull his hand gently towards me as I stand up from the table. "What do you say we go take that walk now?" 

 "What do you say we go take that walk now?"