Chapter 8

The rest of the exam consists of a lot of questions about which items go where in a home and whose job each task is in my own family. It's difficult to remember who is supposed to do what because we don't always follow those rules, but I think I do okay. I take the examiner on a tour through my room as I answer her questions, being sure to demonstrate proper hosting as I go along.

Finally, after over an hour of questions and tours and tea, I am allowed to sit on the couch as the examiner conducts my oral examination of my out-of-the-home knowledge. Her severe eyes stare at me through her thick glasses as she asks me question after question from across the room.

"Proper protocol for meeting an acquaintance?"

"Handshake, polite greeting, small conversation and goodbye." I hope I got everything.

"Marriage eligibility requirements for men?"

"A position of sufficient status, income to support his wife, a residence large enough for a family of five, and attained the age of nineteen years."

She writes a note in her book and I suddenly remember an error.

"I mean, a family of six. Forgive me." I fold my hands in my lap and look down, to demonstrate my contrition for interrupting her.

I risk a glance up without moving my head and I can see her smiling slightly as she makes a note of my response.

"What do you do when you are unsure of your rank or status?"

"Assume the other person's rank to be higher than my own until I am able to confirm with a government official."

"Final question. What are the three approved methods of physical affection?"

I can feel my palms start to sweat as it gets more difficult to breathe. I press my hands into my thighs, "Kiss of a gloved hand, kiss on either cheek, and innocent touch lasting less than three seconds." That last one is seared into my memory forever now. Is it possible she knows?

"Wonderful. That is the end of our examination, Maria. If you will be so kind as to show me out."

"Of course," I am still shaking as I stand up to escort her out. "Right this way, please."

I feel better once she has her coat on and is stepping out of the house. My heart leaps into my chest when she turns around to speak to me.

"I forgot to mention, Maria, that your results will be ready for you to pick up at the government office tomorrow afternoon. Thank you for welcoming me into your home."

"It was my pleasure," I smile. "Thank you for your work."

I manage to keep a smile on my face until I close the door between the examiner and myself. I lean my back onto the door and close my eyes. It's finally over. One of the most nerve-wracking things I have ever done is finally done. I really hope I pass, because I'm almost twenty-one and I really just want to be done with my education.

I take three deep breaths before pushing myself away from the door and making my way back into the house.

* * *

"So how did your exam go?" Alexei asks me later as we attend Service Day with his soon-to-be employer.

"I think it went well. The examiner seemed nice enough."

"Good," his smile threatens to break his face in half, "because I've officially accepted the position here. They are providing a bonus to allow me to build a house for a family. They say it's because they are a family company and like to show their employees are following government mandate, but I just don't care why. I'm so excited to have everything set up to finally have something to offer you."

He talks so fast, I cannot get a word in. But when he finally lets me say something, all that comes out is, "You already have something to offer me."

He smiles, and his face reddens as we walk together towards the field where we will be working. If we were any closer, we would violate several laws at once. At this point, I'm pretty sure I don't care, but I know I need to keep it together. If he breaks any more laws, he will almost certainly lose this position.

I'm acutely aware that this afternoon is another test. And that the test is for me. This company wants to be seen as compliant where the governments familial rules are concerned. That means they aren't just hiring Alexei, they are also hiring me. Because where there are events to attend, I will be there, and when there are guests for Alexei to entertain, I will be in charge.

I really hope it isn't possible to pass out and throw up at the same time. I'm not sure I can take another test today. Oh well, might as well get them all out of the way at once.

"Hello, Mr. Giovanti," Alexei firmly shakes the man's hand. "I believe you are not yet acquainted with my companion, Maria."

"It is a pleasure," the small man shakes my hand. "I am so glad you have decided to join us today. We are very excited to be creating appropriate play materials for the area's children."

"I'm very pleased that you have allowed me to help," I smile, too, though it is not because of what he says. I am thankful for all the practice I've had with entertaining Dad's associates.

The way Mr. Giovanti exchanges looks with Alexei, I am certain that I have passed the first test.

Alexei and I follow Mr. Giovanti over to a small table under a tent.

"This is where you will work," he says, looking at me. "The toys will need some colour when they are finished!"

He points to the paints on the table. I'm not much of a painter. I hope the children don't mind too much, because I don't think there's an option for me to say no.

"I think they will look lovely with colour," I smile politely, despite myself. "I will get started as soon as possible."

With that, he directed Alexei to the woodworking area where he was to be creating the toys. He is going to do that so well. It's right in his skill set. Well, at least the toys will work right, even if they are hideously painted.

I set off to work on a small rocking horse, sneaking a look at Alexei as often as I can without getting us in trouble. On at least two occasions, I catch him looking at me, too.

When all the toys are crafted and painted, Mr. Giovanti complements Alexei and I on our work ethic and then turns to speak directly to me. "I do hope you will join us later this week at the party."

I don't have a way out of it, so I must accept. "I would be delighted to attend. Thank you for the invitation."

It is already later than I should be out, so I make my own way home after promising to tell Alexei about the results of my exam. That man might be the only person more anxious than I am about the results of my exams.

I spend the rest of the evening smiling to myself about Alexei and his new position while simultaneously worrying about whether or not I had passed my exams.

Mostly, I just hope he meant what I thought he did when he said he now had a position that would allow him to build his house. I fall asleep dreaming of what our children will look like.