Chapter 14

When I walk through the door of Alexei's work reception, I don't think I've ever seen anything more beautiful in my whole life. The room looks just how Ma always described weddings when she was a little girl. I don't think I understood what I was missing until this moment, staring at a room that sparkles.

I stand, frozen, in the doorway. I can't tell what to look at first. The shiny, polished floors reflect the whole room. The tables are draped in elegant cloth and covered in gold and crystal. There are lights everywhere and the whole room smells of the most delicious food I've ever smelled.

Sorry, Ma.

"Maria!" Mr. Giovanti approaches me from the left. I have no idea how long I've been standing there and no idea how embarrassed I should be.

"Hello, Sir." I decide on a generic greeting. I can pretend I just walked in.

"I was just telling Alexei I needed to find you," he gestures that I should walk with him as he continues talking. "I would like to have you be the end of our program. So that would mean everything else will be announced before you and Alexei."

Is he going to let Alexei stand there with me?

"You will both be introduced so everyone can see you together and then only you will receive the honour."

Thank you for answering my question. "Of course," I search for the proper protocol in this situation. I spent all of last night reviewing how to accept an award or honour, and I didn't even think of this moment.

Fortunately, we are interrupted by a waiter or assistant or someone who needs Mr. Giovanti urgently, leaving me a few minutes to steady myself. These shoes are not helping that situation.

I move to the edge of the room and wait for him to conclude his business as I admire the beautiful people walking around. When he finally returns, I remember exactly what to do.

"Yes, Mr. Giovanti," I lower my gaze before bringing it back up to meet his. "I would be delighted for you to place us in whichever portion of the program you deem most appropriate."

Close enough.

He responds by thanking me and then leading me around the room and through a small door on the side of a stage area.

Somehow, the room off to the side is even busier than the room we just left. I am so nervous about this whole evening that when I see Alexei I want to run over to him and jump straight into his arms. But that would be wildly inappropriate. Especially in this setting. So I keep it together as I slowly make my way across the room with Mr. Giovanti clearing a path for me.

"I'll leave you here for now," Mr. Giovanti smiles at me as he gestures to Alexei. "I'll be back in a few minutes to discuss the program with everyone. In the meantime, I'm sure Alexei has some things to share with you."

Did Mr. Giovanti just wink?

Mr. Giovanti isn't even gone when Alexei picks up my hand to kiss. "You look stunning," he breathes as he releases my hand.

I lower my eyes as the blush creeps into my cheeks. "Thank you. Ma picked it."

When I bring my eyes back up to meet his, I see a look there I don't think I've ever seen before. I have no idea how to read him. What is he thinking?

We might have stared into each other's eyes for hours if someone hadn't bumped into me from behind, sending me flying towards the ground. Instinctively, I shoot my hands up in front of my head to break my fall, close my eyes, and hope for the best.

Instead of the floor, I feel arms grabbing me from behind. When I have stopped falling, I roll over so I am sitting on the floor and look up to see that the arms belong to Alexei.

Oh no. Not again!

He must see the terror on my face as he helped me stand up, because he whispers in my ear, "It's okay. It's allowed when someone is falling, remember?"

I'm so relieved I want to laugh as Alexei backs away. But there are already at least twelve pairs of eyes on me, so I just smile politely and allow him to kiss my hand before addressing the room. "I'm all right. Thank you for your concern."

And it works like a charm. They all turn back to their conversations like nothing happened.

"Maybe we could go for a walk and talk," Alexei gestured towards a glass set of double doors on the opposite wall. "I think I should tell you what Giovanti has planned and it might be best to avoid any other falling and catching incidents." He winks as he says this. He knew what I was thinking.

"I'd be delighted," I pick up my dress in my right hand and walk through the crowd.

After excusing myself to at least twenty-two people on my way through the room, I reach the doors and slide them open with my empty left hand. As soon as the doors open, a breeze blows through the room that means all eyes are on me again. I hurry through the door and allow Alexei to follow before closing it as quickly as possible.

When I turn back to face him, he is already several meters in front of me, walking along the path. There's no way I'll catch up with him in these shoes, but I follow him anyway.

The garden smells of flowers and freshly mowed grass. It is beautifully lit with sparkling lights covering every tree. The path is further illuminated by small lanterns lining the edge of the stone walkway.

Alexei stops when he reaches a small, clear area with a fountain and three benches surrounded by a tall hedge. It is dark except for the lights sparkling off the water in the middle of the fountain.

He stands, still, at the water's edge until I catch up to him. He must have heard my shoes stop clicking, because he turned around just as I reached him and got down on his knee.

No way! Ma was right?

"Maria," he says as he pulls a box out of his pocket and opens it, "Would you do me the great honour of agreeing to be my wife?"

I didn't study this part. What am I supposed to say? I look down at him and realize I haven't said anything.

Not wanting to worry him, I answer how I want to, not how I should. "I'd love to."

He stands up and offers me the ring box, which I gladly take.

"Sorry," I say when I notice he hasn't said anything yet, "I know that's not the right way to say it, but no one told me I needed to study marriage proposals."

He laughs out loud, gently takes my hand and kisses it. "I've been telling you that for months!"

He had a point there.

"Plus," he gestures to the garden, "There's a reason I thought we should do it here and not in front of everyone at the party."

"You were going to do it at the party?" I let my jaw drop open in shock.

"No," he smiles, "I was going to do it tomorrow, but then Mr. Giovanti made a big stink and suggested I do it today so I thought this was a better way than what he suggested."

My heart skips a beat, "What did he suggest?" I whisper.