40 | moon

E P I G R A P H

they will search for a love like yours in the
depths of the ocean while you found
peace within the waves

forty | moon

I SAT ON the edge of the rooftop, my legs dangling off the edge of the tall building. I looked down at the ground which looked so far away, which makes sense, because I was around twenty-one stories above the ground.

The sun had set fully by now, I had watched for almost thirty minutes as the blue sky faded into golden then blood orange and eventually darkness, the stars littering the sky like soft kisses, each one gleaming, blinking red and green as it entered our atmosphere.

I was cold. My arms were exposed due to my poor clothing choice consisting of sweatpants and a baggy shirt, leaving me freezing on my upper-half, though my legs were warm at least.

I rubbed my forearms with my hands, trying to generate some warmth, but it was of no use, all it did was rub the goosebumps scattered away.

I subconsciously looked behind me, smiling as I noticed Esme and Ace talking deeply about something, seeming invested in whatever they were conversing about. Mason was smoking a joint, staring up at the stars above him with squinted eyes, his lips parted as he tapped his foot restlessly. And then Holt.

Holt was positioned directly next to Esme, his legs parted as he rested his head against the back of the rickety old couch, his tantalizing gaze on me as the corners of his lips tilted into a small smile, I returned his smile with one of my own, but I am sure mine was more goofy than his was.

I turned back to stare at the view in front of me, a wide grin still on my lips as swayed slightly. I had drunk a few drinks, it was the last day of school today for this year, meaning it is officially Christmas break and what better way to celebrate surviving half a year of school than drinking on the top of an abandoned building with your friends and boyfriend?

Usually I would not drink unless I was horribly bored at some party, but tonight I made an exception. It had been a rough year—half a year, I think I deserve a drink or two. . .or five. I felt happy, though. My hands were tingling with adrenaline and I felt over the moon.

I am aware that is the alcohol talking, well partly.

Esme is a light weight, so all it took for her was two drinks and she was completely gone. Mason, Ace and Holt are all higher than the stars right now, but it didn't matter, one way or another, we were all happy right now.

Dad took me to the hospital last week to get a check-up on my arm and the doctor claimed that I was extremely fortunate and my arm healed almost effortlessly, therefore I can get my cast removed tomorrow, it will be good to be able to wrap both of my arms around Holt now, instead of one.

Esme and Ace have a thing, I think. I don't think they are rushing things, currently they are just best friends that flirt. . .a lot.

Mason is Mason. He is happy, he's been looking after his sister a lot but things seem to be looking up for him, or I hope. He jokes a lot, but that could just be a coping mechanism, I know exactly what that is like. When I am upset, the first thing I resolute to is sarcasm.

"Hey, there." Holt murmured as he sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around me.

I beamed at him, "Hey." I whispered, leaning into his warm touch.

"How're you feeling?" he asked.

I shrugged, "Happy." I replied simply, "Relieved. I love Christmas."