Chapter 12

REBECCA

"Well, human. How goes the training?" Rebecca grinned as Trystia slid into the seat beside her. The Kirien persisted in calling her 'human', despite vehemently scolding anyone else who did the same. Thinking about the question, Rebecca felt her smile slide away. Despite two days of training, she had yet to discover a power. It was more than a little disheartening, especially when she saw the amazing things the others could do with their gifts.

"It's not exactly training if you don't have anything to train in," she finally replied, playing with the surbit in her bowl.

"You haven't found your magic power yet."

Rebecca rolled her eyes.

"No, I haven't found my magic power yet. I don't think I have one. I'm just...useless."

Trystia snorted disapprovingly.

"No-one is useless. If you have no magic powers, you'll come to me. I'll teach you to fight better than any warrior in Jesmire."

Rebecca opened her mouth to refuse the offer then thought better of it. Why not learn to fight? It would at least give her some way of protecting herself. Maybe, if she could learn to fight the others wouldn't worry about her so much. Dropping her spoon into her surbit, she leant forward and nodded.

"When do we start?"

Trystia's eyes glowed with excitement and her Amylthia shone brightly enough to make Rebecca avert her eyes, a grin creeping onto her face.

"What's got you so excited?" Naytan asked Trystia, flopping down on the seat across from them. With Jarryd, Victoria, Brian and Michael making progress with their powers, they often spent mealtimes in meetings with various council members, or undergoing special training. Since her first meal in the mess hall, Rebecca had been welcomed by almost every group that ate there, but she preferred to sit with Trystia and Naytan. Sometimes Cooper or another of Naytan's friends joined them. Even Commander Riley had eaten a meal with them, telling exaggerated stories of the brave deeds of Surt warriors and sending Trystia into a tirade against all Surts everywhere.

"Rebecca has agreed to let me teach her to fight," Trystia announced proudly. Rebecca avoided Naytan's eye, knowing there was no way he would approve of her decision. She felt his eyes on her but refused to look up. He finally gave a long-suffering sigh.

"Well, I should have guessed it wasn't the surbit."

Rebecca grinned.

"What is this stuff anyway?" she asked, allowing the gloop to drop from her spoon back into the bowl. "I'm not eating some kind of animal or something am I?"

"Nah. It's like a fruit," Trystia explained. "Grows on Surbit Trees. Kind of big, round and bright pink."

Rebecca raised an eyebrow.

"That sounds...interesting."

"Really? I always thought surbit was one of Dysantyll's least interesting foods. Now Melfin...that's a cool food."

"Melfin?" Rebecca considered the word, trying to imagine what it could be. "Is it like a mushroom?"

"Like a what?"

"A mushroom. You know, kind of like...fungus. It can grow in darkness and looks a bit like a stick with a hat on."

Trystia's laughter caught the attention of every diner in the mess hall. Naytan grinned at Rebecca as she blushed.

"I guess it does sound pretty weird," she finally admitted, trying to curb Trystia's laughter.

"If you don't mind, some of us are trying to eat in peace."