Chapter 39 - "You don't remember me do you?"

You know what will make you happy? Doing something productive!:)

_____________________________________________

(Axel's POV)

The field was just as beautiful as it always was.
I could feel Scarlet's hands in mine, but both of us had our backs to the other.
Her hands began to pull away and I turned to see why. I was too late to catch her. She looked at me with subdued panic as she fell right through the ground.
I woke up.

(Scarlet's POV)

I didn't remember falling asleep, but the grogginess I felt told me I had.
My eye lids were more like weights. Once I had gotten them open, it took me a minute to realize why I didn't recognize the room; I had never been there.
It was a small, not very well lit room with a table in front of me.
I was tied to a chair.
"It's been a while hasn't it?"
I looked toward the speaker leaning against the wall in front of me. It took me a moment to recognize him. It was Heath.
I didn't respond.
".... you don't remember me do you?" He gave me a questioning look that was too soft, too caring.
I did my best to keep my face as expressionless as possible.
He took a second to observe me, like I was different then a previous memory of his.
Changing the subject, he shook his head with a smile and walked a few steps forward. "You know... when I killed your parents I didn't think you would be important to my future plans."
His expression didn't change from that caring, somewhat joyful glint he had at seeing me.
My mind seemed to freeze, and for a moment all I could get out was a soft "What?"
He looked at me, not with annoyance or anger as he said. "Oh, come on.... I know you know where she is."
".....  You... killed my parents?"
He nodded, now understanding what I was referring to. "Listen-..." he smiled sympathetically." I apologize for that, but I had just lost Trista and I thought I wasn't going to make it past the next week... you understand?" The lack of any understanding in the way he said that scared me.
I hadn't ever thought about who killed my parents... I hardly ever thought about my parents at all, and in that moment, I wanted to, I wanted to think about them, to make myself angry and sad and hatful... but I couldn't... and I'm so thankful for that.
As my mind became clear I decided to take the energy I had from that moment and put it to better use.
When I didn't respond he went back to his original plan. "So where is she?"
"I never got to see her grave... I don't actually know where it is."
He chuckled. "I don't want to hurt you," the way he said it almost made it feel genuine. "but I will if I have to."
I sat quietly.
He looked at me for a moment, then leaned on the table.
"I know you have a mate."
I smirked, hoping it would throw him off.
He gave me a questioning stare. "You haven't found him yet?"
"I've been avoiding it." I leaned back in the chair.
"To prepare for this?"
"Why would I need to prepare for anything?"
He chuckled, changing tactics. "I know you have friends... I know they're in the Blood Moon territory. It wouldn't be hard to find them." Even as he threatened me, he stayed calm.
"I'm sure it wouldn't." I made no indication that I even cared. "You would have no way of knowing who they are, and if you continue with what you've been doing, you'll probably kill them and not even know it."
He nodded thoughtfully.
The way he reacted made me uncomfortable, he never got angry or irritated with what I said, he didn't even seem to care about how long the conversation would go on or if it would ever end.
"How have you avoided meeting your mate? You've been to so many packs... he can't be that far?" He tilted his head.
"I'll be completely honest with you... he rejected me." I sat up straighter.
His face became somber and sympathetic. "I understand how that feels."
It wasn't smart for me to react, but in that moment, I didn't really care. "No. You don't understand. I do remember you. You had your mate! She excepted you! You have no idea what it feels like to know that your mate is alive and they don't want you!"
His face filled with sadness as he looked down. "You're right. Trista did love and except me... but what about Ayrith?" He focused on me. "We didn't even get a chance. I... didn't even get a chance."
All my anger toward him melted.
Being angry at an insane man isn't worth it.
"But...." He straightened. "we can both have a chance... a chance with someone new. All you have to do is tell me where Ayrith is, and I'll help you find someone who is worthy of you." He looked at me with such confidence and genuine tenderness. "You won't feel it at first- I didn't feel it with Ayrith until Trista died-" Chills ran up my spine. My stomach dropping at the implication. "but you could have someone who will except you, care for you as all mates should."
Panic was all I felt, but I didn't let it show, instead, I looked down, pretending to think about it.
"The more time you take... the more lives are lost."
I realized why he didn't care how long the conversation went on... he had nothing to lose.
I looked at him... then made a quick... somewhat stupid decision. " I want be the one who does it."
"What?"
".... I want to be the one who kills my mate."
I knew he doubted me... he would be stupid not to, but a part of him wanted to believe me; that was the part I had to work with.
"I can't just let you go."
"I'm still healing."
He knew what I meant; I'm weak, I can't do anything to him, and I can't run away.
He walked back to lean on the wall, thinking.
"And how do we get you close without you betraying me?"
I thought for a moment. "We pretend like it's a hostage situation. You, me and your men, walk to the border, when my mate shows up, and he will, we pretend like you'll only give me back if he tells you where Ayrith is. He knows her location; I know he does."
He seemed to be working it out, until he stopped, a light bulb going off in his head. "You're mate is an Alpha."
Crap.
I frowned. "Yes."
He smirked, pleased with my answer. "..... An Alpha." He mused.
After a few seconds, his face became more serious. "Your plan is just the bare minimum. I'll have to think it over a few days." He smiled, almost like he was testing me to see my reaction.
I wanted to scream that we didn't have time, but to him, we had all the time in the world. "Of course." I kept my expression pleasant.
I didn't know how I would be treated for "a few days", but I didn't really have any other choice.
He left the room, and a few moments later, a couple of rogues came in and untied me.
I followed them up some stairs to a bedroom that I was not allowed to leave, and I wouldn't try.
_____________________________________________
1268 words