Chapter 40 - "Why should you care so much?"

We are getting there!

Hope you have a great day!:)

_____________________________________________

(Scarlet's POV)

The field was always so beautiful.
I could feel Axel's hands in mine, but we both had our backs to each other.
I was just about to turn to look at him when I felt something sharp in my arm. My vision began to blur, but I could see Axel turn around, a worried look on his face. He reached out to catch me, but was too late. I fell through the ground, deeper into sleep.

(Axel's POV)

I jumped out of bed and looked at the clock.
It was 3:21 AM.
Something was wrong.
I ran out of my room, waking all of Scarlets friends. They stepped out of their rooms panicked.
"Axel, what is it?!" Damien yelled, but I was already out the door.
I didn't stop running.
The chill of late fall didn't phase me as I focused on getting to the hospital.
The second I opened the door, I picked up the faint smell of rogues and I knew I had been right.
Nurses yelled and rushed around as I ran past them.
When I got to Scarlets room a doctor stood outside the door talking to a nurse, both looking panicked.
When they noticed me, they bowed their heads.
The doctor told the nurse something and she scurried off.
"Alpha. I was just about to contact you-"
I walked past him into Scarlets room and froze.
She was gone.
"Where is she?"
"We don't know, sir."
I turned to look at him. "How did this happen?"
"I don't know. None of us saw anyone come in or go out."
My thoughts were racing as I walked back down the hall. Damien and Jonathan were in the lobby when I got there.
"Axel... is Scarlet okay?" Damien asked.
"..... she's gone."
"What?"
"She's gone."
"What do you mean she's gone?" Jonathan questioned. "Do you mean she's-"
"No." I didn't even want to think about that possibility. "I mean, she's been kidnapped."
"How?" Damien took a step forward.
"I don't know." I walked past them, not being able to talk in that moment.
I didn't know what to do... how was I supposed to do anything? I had no idea where she was.
What were they going to do to her?
My blood boiled at the thought.
I immediately called a meeting.

"What can we do?" I asked.
All the Alphas and Lunas were informed of the situation. They all knew who Scarlet was now; there was no way around it.
They all looked around at each other.
The sinking feeling in my stomach made me dread the silence even more.
I looked to Xavier who stood next to me. Even he had nothing to say.
"The question is, how do we go about this with as little loss as possible?" The Luna of the Starry Night pack chimed in.
Everyone stared at the table.
"How are we supposed to do anything. We have no idea where to look. We can't send out any scouting teams or they'll be killed." The Alpha of the Healing Moon pack said exasperatedly. "... I want to do something... but there just aren't any options."
The conversation continued, but all I could hear was two people close behind the Alpha of the New Moon pack whispering to each other.
"I don't get why we're having a meeting with all these people at four in the morning, just for an Eta."
I growled.
Everyone stopped and looked at me.
"What did you say?" I looked to Beta Ryan.
"What?" He stared at me, surprised.
"What... did you say?"
He looked around, almost like he was asking for help, then he stood up straight, staring me in the eyes. "I said... I don't know why we are having a meeting at four in the morning for an Eta. Especially one that's not even in your pack. Why should you care so much?"
BANG
His head was slammed against the table.
"She... is my mate." I growled.
After a moment, I pulled him back into a standing position harder then was necessary, making him stumble backward, and walked back to my place at the table.
His Alpha said nothing.
The meeting continued, but got us nowhere. If anything, it confirmed that we had no options.
I didn't want to believe that it was true, that I could do nothing but wait for them to contact me or.... find her somewhere after it was all over.
At 6:32 AM we took a break, caught up on some well needed sleep and agreed to meet later that night. Beta Ryan would not be attending.
No rogues attacked that day and they wouldn't for the next 4 after that.
I was going crazy.
What were they doing to her in that time?
Were they feeding her?
If they're torturing her, in her condition, I don't know how long she would last.
I've heard you can feel when your mate dies... but is that true for everyone?
The meetings had come up with nothing, and there was no point in them after the second one.
If someone came up with a plan, then we would continue, but for now, it was just me alone with my thoughts.
_____________________________________________
883 words