lung

L is for Lung
Jay walked down the dimly lit street, following the signs to the address on the note in his hand. The light of a full moon cast a eerie mood. Jay brushed his leg against the gun he had hid in his boot. When he got to the office that morning, there had been a note on his desk. Platt said some guy delivered it. The entire team had nearly gone crazy when they read it's contents. They all tried to convince him not to go, but he knew he had no choice. He walked into the alley, searching for any sigh of the man with the name at the bottom of the note.

"Hello Detective Halstead." A man said, stepping out from the wall. The streetlight shown on his face.
"So your the guy that shot me huh?" Jay said, looking the man up and down. He was about Jay's height, skinny but not without muscles. There was a long scar stretching from his left earlobe to the corner of his lip. He had a black hoodie on, with the hood up.
"You know, I have to give you props. Your really hard to kill. Thought for sure I had you." The man said, moving closer. Jay's survival instincts started to click on.
"Am I supposed to remember you?" Jay asked, racking his brain as he studied the man.
"Well you should, but of course you wouldn't. You killed my brother." The man replied.
"I'm really sorry about that, I am, but your brother brought it upon himself. I think you know that just as well as your father did." Jay said, suddenly recalling an old case of and armed robbery where the parents had given up the location of their sons as a last resort to stop their behavior. During the bust, this man's brother had surprised Ruzek, and held a gun to his head after pistol whipping him. This earned him a bullet through the skull from Jay, directly from his snipers nest.
"Yea? Well I think you killed him like a coward. You kept your distance to shoot him. So now it your turn. But this time, we're gonna fight like real men do." The man said, manning his way towards Jay.
"Neal? That's your name right? Look Neal, I did what had to be done, and you know it." Jay said, preparing himself for the guy to charge at him.
"I promised him you'd pay. And now you will!" Neal said, rushing forward. A brutal fight ensued between the two men. Jay grunted as the man slammed him against the wall, with two hands around his neck. Jay was trained extensively in hand to hand combat, so he used a special move to push him off, then got in a few more punches himself. Neal realized he was loosing, so grabbed a pipe from the ground beside him as a last resort, and swung it. It hit Jay directly in the chest. Jay felt a few different cracks as he hit the ground in pain. Neal walked over, and landed the knockout blow with a boot to the temple.
A few minutes later, Jay woke up. He looked around, dazed, and trying to remember where he was. The pain that rushed through his chest when he sat up quickly brought all the memories of the last few minutes back. He put a hand to his chest, and stared at it with a mix of annoyance and pain when he saw blood. He forced himself to his feet, and stumbled his back down the street, back towards the precinct. The precinct was mostly quiet at this time of night, as most people had gone home, so no one noticed Jay as he pulled himself up the stairs to the front desk. He pushed the door open, and tried to walk to Platt's desk.
"Jay? What the hell happened to you? Jay!" Platt did a double take when she saw the battered detective stumble through her front doors, then rushed to his side when he collapsed to the ground.
"Uh Voight...you might wanna get down here. Like right now...we have a problem." Platt said into his radio. She pulled back Jay's jacket, looking at the large open wound that was creating a stain on his shirt. She yelled for a first aid kit, and another officer was dialing 911 just as the intelligence team ran downstairs.
"Jay! What happened?!" Erin yelled, first one out of the gate.
"I knew we shouldn't have let him go alone! That SOB tried to kill him again!" Voight said, putting it together. He explained the pieces of the story to the rest of them, when Jay's eyes opened again.
"Hey! That's it Jay! Look at me! Can you breath?" Erin asked, listening to his raspy breaths making their presence know but the wheezing coming from Jay's chest. He gave a slight nod, before letting out an awful sounding cough, and spitting blood from the corner of his mouth. Panic seized the team as they surrounded him, trying desperately to help him. The doors flew open, and Dawson and Brett ran in with a backboard and stretcher. Erin stood up to let the medics go to work. Gabby kneeled down and began to pack Jay's chest wound. She checked his pulse, and then his lungs with her stethoscope.
"Diminished breath sounds on the right side. Multiple rib fractures. One appears to have punctured his lung." Dawson said. They continued their work on him when suddenly, Jays mouth filled with blood and he began to choke.
"Dammit! His lung collapsed. Airway is filling with blood. Help me sit him up, we need to get him to spit as much of it out as he can! Brett, get the suction ready in the ambo!" Gabby yelled. Ruzek dropped to his knees to assist in any way he could. Another officer had gotten a bowl, and Adam pushed Jay carefully into a sitting position. Once Dawson was sure they had gotten most of the blood out, they carefully laid him back down. Just as he reached the floor, his eyes slipped closed.
"He's out. I need to intubate him, and then get him on a stretcher." Dawson said. She moved around to his head, and tilted his chin up so she could see his airway better. A second later, the tube was in place, and Jay was strapped to the backboard, and taken out.
"Hey Sarge I got something here!" Atwater said, pulling all eyes to him. The team had reluctantly left the hospital to come back to work, all except Erin. The team had started the manhunt for Neal Parsons. They had analyzed the note over and over again, and had gone to the address, which was now a crime scene. Voight came out of his office to the bullpen.
"Says here that Neal's probation officer hasn't seen him in three weeks. They tried to locate him, but it seems to appear he dropped off the face of the earth." Kevin said.
"How does that get us closer to finding this maniac?" Voight asked. Kevin gave him an exhausted "I tried" look before sitting back in his chair with a sigh.
"Actually, I can help! Just got a tip from the bolo we put out on him. He's...outside Chicago Med! Do you think?!" Burgess said, looking at the alert that appeared on her computer screen. The team jumped up as fast as they could. Neal was going to try to finish Jay off.
The team sped through the streets, sirens blaring. Adam called Erin, who alerted security guards. She assured them there was at least five uniforms standing outside Jay's room, all with a picture of Neal's face, ready and waiting for him. The swerving trail of cars stopped outside the hospital, and the intelligence until jumped out. Voight directed them off in pairs.
"Nobody goes home tonight until we find this guy! I want him alive!" Voight yelled, and took off with Olinsky. The team searched the entirety of the hospital, and were about to stop when a call came over their radio.
"Hello everyone. I believe you can all hear me. I suggest you stop looking for me. Go home, let me have my final day with Halstead. Or stay, and I kill two of your detectives. Remember me Adam?" Seething anger filled Voight as he heard the message, followed by a small grunt from what had to be Ruzek. Voight gathered the team together, and they all switched their radios off. He then gave them directions, and they headed to the roof. They stormed up the stairs, and looked through the window to see and unconscious Ruzek on the ground, with a gun pointed at the center of his chest.
"One more step and he's dead. Trust me Hank, I'll do it." Neal said. Rage flooded through Voight, and he pushed forwards faster. He threw the door open that led to the roof, and stormed out. Neal gave a laugh, and pointed the gun at Adams heart, a direct kill shot. A shot rang out, and the rest of the team turned towards the seen in front of them in shock, expecting the worst. Instead, it was Neal on the ground. Voight had shot the gun out of his hand. In fact, he had placed the shot so perfectly, that it had taken the offenders pointer finger clean off. Voight kept walking towards the man, and hovered over the bleeding, sweating man. The tough, insane look that had previously occupied Neal's Eyes was now replaced with fear.
"You nearly killed my agent twice, but both times failed. Those dog tags you wearing? Did you know the man your tried to kill was an Army Ranger." Voight said, standing over him, jaw clenched. Kevin and Burgess had grabbed Adam as soon as the suspect was on the ground, and were taking him to be looked at. That left Voight and Olinsky alone on the roof.
"Ya know, I knew I should've shot him in the head! I was trying for his liver, guess I missed. How unfortunate. Maybe I'll try again later. I know everything about your whole team Hank. I'll be back. And next time, the bullet will go through his skull." Neal taunted.
"He thinks he's getting off this room in anything other than a body bag!" Voight said to Olinsky, laughing. He turned back to the man, and pressed his gun to his temple,
"Veterans don't try to assonate other veterans. There is no next time with for you." Hank said, slowly putting more and more pressure from his boot onto the man's bleeding wound from the missing finger.
"And it's Voight to you." Voight said, lowering his gun. Almost everyone on the tope few floors jumped as a loud gunshot. Only a select few of those that heard it knew what cause it, and they were all the ones wearing a badge.