radius

R is for Radius
"

Jay! You alright down there?! Jay!" Jay heard a familiar voice calling his name. The voice sounded far away. Where was he? How did he get down here? And why did everything hurt so bad? Jay looked around him, and picked his head up off the cold surface he was laying on despite the jack hammer pounding that was happening between his ears. As he woke up more and became more aware of his surroundings, the events of the last few minutes replayed in his mind. He looked at the man laying beside him, and checked for a pulse. Great. He thought. There goes our case. He grunted in pain as the pounding got worse.
"Hold on Jay! Just stay still, help is coming!" The voice came again, and he now recognized it as Erin's.
"S...suspect...s d...dead...sar..." Jay forced he words out.
"Ok. How're you doing? You bleeding anywhere? Can you feel everything?" Jay saw Voights face appear above him. Hank began to search his detective for any signs of injuries, but it was hard to see from so far away.
"N...not that I... can see.. but my head...I can...feel everything...except my arm.." Hank grimaced at how much work it took for Jay to get a sentence out. He was in bad shape.
"Ok, just sit tight. Don't try to move." Voight said. Jay nodded, and forced himself to keep his eyes open.
"Hey Jay, we're coming down. We're gonna get you out." Kelly Severide appeared above him, and Jay watched as he and Stella repelled down the elevator shaft to where he was laying. Stella reached over and pressed two fingers to the other man's neck, then confirmed to the intelligence team that he was in fact dead. The perfectly placed gunshot between the eyes from Adam had killed him instantly. This was the perfectly planned method of freeing your fellow officer from the grips of a junkie turned murderer in withdrawal, in fact, it was by the books. What wasn't by the books was that when the heavy set man fell, the sudden drop of weight caused Jay to lose his balance, sending him in a free fall to the top of the broken down elevator below them. Erin had rushed to the ledge so fast that if it hadn't been for Hank's strong arm, she would've joined her unconscious partner three floors beneath them.
"Can you feel when I press here? What about here?" Stella asked, going carefully over Jay's extremities. She was also trained as a paramedic, so she knew exactly what to look for.
"Yea...y...ea.. n...no." Jay answered, still fighting the urge to pass out.
"Alright. I think you've got a pinched nerve in there. You got a nasty break in your radius., and because of the distance you fell, it's likely that it's stuck between the ends of the bone. We need to get him to an operating room before nerve damage sets in. Hand me the splint." Stella said, yelled get up to Dawson and Brett above them. Severide strapped the C collar on Jay as Stella carefully secured his arm. Then they carefully rolled him onto the backboard, and secured him into the rescue stretcher. The men up top slowly pulled him up. Once he was pulled to safety, he was immediately rushed off to the hospital.
Later
"Come on Jay! Work with me here!" Will tilted his brothers chin up higher, looking down his airway. His throat was closing fast, and he needed to be intubated soon or it would be to late. He breathed a small sigh as he heard a nurse tell him he had found a lung. Will then quickly hooked the machine to the other end of the tube. After it was in place, Jay was whisked out of the room upstairs once again, leaving Will alone with his worries, and work.
Next
"Dr. Latham turn the crank one more click. I need better access to the nerve." Connor said, shining his headlight onto the bones in front of him. Dr. Latham complied, and the cut was opened up further. He proceeded with the surgery, and cut each end of the twisted and broken nerve, removing the piece before sowing the ends back together. Confusion went through him as he felt a warm liquid splatter across his mask. Then it came across his glasses.
"Dammit. The the bone moved and severed an artery." Connor felt the small twinge of panic run through his brain that often happens when something unexpected happens in a surgery. Although it is distracting, it's never enough to throw him off his game. His focus remained, now it was simply of a different on a different tasked. He took the tool fro his assistants hand, and singed off the ends to stifle the flow of the blood. Then he fixed that also, and set the bone. When he was finished, he took his scrubs off and walked out to leave the rest of the team to close him up.
Connor pushed through the swinging doors and out into the observation room where he had been standing during the entire surgery. Connor fully expected to see his colleague standing their, watching and silently critiquing his handiwork. In fact, he would be more surprised if he wasn't there. Every time Jay was on this table, Will would be there, watching over him. Just like an older brother should.
"How is he? What was the arterial bleed from? Has it been resolved?" Will asked.
"The numbness he felt should resolve itself soon. When the nerve was being fixed, a piece of the bone cut the artery. Luckily, it was a small one, and I fixed it quickly. As for his lung and back, they should both heal perfectly fine. You may have to step him to the bed though. Something tells me he's not gonna like the term "bed rest" all that much!" Connor explained.
"Yea I don't think he will either. Thanks. I'll tell the others." Will said, walking towards the waiting room.
Later
Jay woke to the sound of the monitors beeping, and actually felt slightly annoyed when he looked at his surroundings. He tried to met, but was met with a sharp pain In his back that stopped him. The Nasal canal kept pulling on his face, so he slowly reached up to it, and tried to pull it off.
"Hey! No leave it!" Jay heard the voice of Voight, and looked up to see him gently pull his hand away, and set it back down before replacing the tube under his nose.
"Wh..where's Erin?" Jay asked.
"Getting lunch. You got lucky once again kid." Voight said, sitting down.
"You broke your arm pretty bad, re injured your shoulder blade. You had some fluid in your spine that wasn't supposed to be there or something, but that's drained now. Your lungs survived everything this time, but you still seemed to fight us. You stopped breathing on the way here, but your brother saved you, once again. You really need to have him." Hank explained. Jay nodded, and promised that he would Thank his brother later. After more visitors and a very angry but concerned Erin, he was resting comfortably. Will was right, he didn't like the idea of bed rest at all, but knew he had no choice in the matter, so he decided to focus on healing.