kidnapped part 2

Mouse paused to take a shaky breath. The others couldn't believe how badly injured Jay had been. They knew he survived, but still it was hard to hear just how injured he was. Will couldn't believe any of this. He knew Jay had gotten injured and was discharged from the military, but he had no idea he was that injured. He hadn't been in Chicago during this time. He had left to focus on his own life and just ignored Jay and what he had been through. Will was really starting to hate himself for that.

  "I ah checked for his pulse… he ah… he didn't have one. I started to give him CPR but it wasn't working. I ran back to the Humvee and I grabbed the booster cables. Our Humvee was still running by some miracle, but it was destroyed. I hooked up the cables and dragged Jay back over. I shocked his heart with the cables and got it started again. I dragged him back over to the ditch just as our Humvee exploded from the fire. I covered his body to protect it from the debris and heat. One piece of pipe pierced my left side of my stomach right through my kidney. I knew I had to leave it in, but we were good as dead if we stayed there. The other two Humvees behind us were completely gone. Everyone was dead but us. I made sure Jay was still breathing before I got up and stumbled over to the Humvees. I searched them for anything that would work to put a radio together. I went back over to Jay and worked on the radio. I finally got it up and running and called in for help. Afterwards I pulled my gun and pulled Jay over so his back was against my chest. I put my hands on his stomach to try and slow some of the bleeding. We were there for twelve hours until helped arrived. He never woke up. I forced myself to stay awake and aware just in case. Twelve hours we spent slowly bleeding out and just waiting to be recused or die. They airlifted us to the closest military hospital over in Germany. When I finally woke up three days had gone by. Jay spent two weeks in the hospital, I spent one. They gave me a medical discharge. They knew there was no coming back from that. They gave Jay an honourable discharge. He could have been cleared medically, but he had done so much for the military. I'm talking missions that everyone said was suicide but Jay always got it done. He saved soldiers that were captured. He brought them home alive. They couldn't ask him to go back out there after that. He didn't even fight it. The only thing he would even say once he woke up was when he could leave. He just wanted to go home."
The others couldn't believe what they had just heard. They had no idea that Jay and Mouse had ever gone through anything like that. It explained why they were so close and why Jay was so protective of Mouse. They had been through hell together and were able to come out the other side.
"He had some problems afterwards though." Dr. Charles said gently.
"We both did, but that's not my story to tell." Mouse said with a distant voice as he looked at his hands once again.
Dr. Charles simply nodded at that and then looked over to Voight and he could see the concern within his eyes. It was clear that Voight had learnt something today that he didn't know. Something that brought respect to Voight for Jay and Mouse. Something that he didn't fully have for the two. It was respect on a different level. Right now they couldn't do anything for Jay. The doctors would have to take care of Jay until they were able to do it. Mouse though, they could take care of him. Voight turned and looked at Antonio. He saw that he had a small amount of blood on his hands. Antonio looked over at Voight as he felt eyes on him. Voight nodded his head towards Mouse and Antonio understood what he was saying. Antonio went over to Mouse and gently placed a hand on his shoulder as he spoke.
"Hey come on let's go wash this stuff off."
Antonio gently got Mouse up and out of the chair. They headed down the hallway to get to the bathroom. Will got up and pulled out his cell phone as he spoke.
"I need to call our dad. He doesn't know about any of this." Will moved off to the side so he could inform his dad what had been happening to Jay.
"Um Sarge, I know this isn't really the time for this but what are we going to do about the men in that room?" Ruzek asked as he looked over briefly to Dr. Charles as he didn't know if Voight wanted anyone to know that Mouse was the one to kill five people.
"Keep your mouth shut. I'll deal with it." Voight simply said.
"And the prisoner?" Atwater asked as they had all seen that he was in pain and something was going on with his left arm.
"He's been in there a long time. His shoulder must be hurting from pulling on those cuffs." Voight said as he looked at the others and the message was clear.
That was the story they were going with. Voight wasn't about to send Mouse up shit's creek for what he did. He did what he had to to find Jay's location. Voight wasn't going to hold any of this against him. As for the five men that Mouse killed he would have to come up with something to protect Mouse for that. It wasn't something they could hide, but Voight wasn't going to let Mouse get into trouble for it. He had to do what he had to do and Voight respected him a lot more for what he did today. Even though he had been through hell overseas and wasn't in the best mindset with his PTSD he still got done what had to be done. He still held it together these past fifteen days to find Jay. Now Voight just had to keep an eye on him that he didn't go down hill and spiral out of control. Voight wasn't stupid he had seen the signs in Mouse. He was a recovering addict. What his drug of choice was he didn't know, but he had struggled with it. Voight had seen it plenty of times before with war veterans. They go to war and come back just broken and destroyed. Most turned to drugs or alcohol. He had expected it with Mouse once he saw how thin and worn down he was. The signs were clear that he had PTSD and just one look at him and Voight had decided he would give the kid a chance. Jay had also spoken very highly about him and that was rare for Jay. He never spoke highly of anyone so Voight knew that Mouse meant a lot to Jay and he was curious as to why. After seeing what he had witnessed in the past fifteen days Voight could see exactly what Jay had seen in Mouse very clearly. Jay had become part of the family and now Mouse was a member of that family and Voight never turned his back on family and he never would.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Antonio got Mouse into one of the bathrooms and they went over to the sink. They both started to wash the blood off from their hands. Antonio didn't have much on him, but Mouse had quite a bit from him giving Jay CPR and trying to stop the bleeding. Antonio had his clean fairly easily. He dried them once the blood was gone. He looked over at Mouse and he could see that he was just staring at the sink. His hands were wet and gripping the side of the sink. His eyes were blank and he was shaking slightly. Antonio didn't have much experience with PTSD as he had never been through it himself. He had been shot twice now and he didn't have any problems going back into the field and ready for action. What Mouse and Jay had been through was much worse and clearly effected them a great deal. Antonio could see that Mouse wasn't breathing right and he knew that he was having an anxiety attack now that the adrenaline was completely gone from his system.
"Hey Mouse. Come man let the air out. You're okay." Antonio said calmly as he placed his hands on Mouse's biceps and slowly turned him so he was facing him.
Antonio could see the fear and panic in Mouse's eyes and Antonio knew that he was fighting back the memories that were threatening to overtake.
"Mouse it's okay. You're okay. You are safe in the hospital right now. You are not there, you're safe Mouse. Just let the air out you can do it come on man."
Mouse's eyes moved around the room and he tried to get his brain to calm down and register where he was. The blood just kept bringing back memories that he had wanted to forget. That he had tried long and hard to forget. Mouse slowly let his breath out and he was able to breathe again. It was shaky and uneven, but it was better than nothing.
"I'm sorry. It's just the blood. My hands were stained red for a week last time. He's the only family that I got." Mouse said with a shaky voice.
"Naw man he's not all you got, not anymore. We're all a family and no matter what we will be there for you man."
Mouse gave a shaky nod and Antonio rubbed his hands on Mouse's biceps.
"It's gonna be okay. We got him out and we got him here. He's tough he'll make it. You gotta have faith."
"Ah…ya." Mouse said with a shaky voice.
"There's no hurry. We can stay in here as long as you want." Antonio said with patience.
"Naw I'm good. We should get back out there."
"Alright man." Antonio put his hands back down and gave a small smile to Mouse.
"Hey ah… thanks." Mouse said awkwardly.
"Anytime." Antonio said with a smile.
He put his hand on Mouse's back as they walked out of the bathroom and back down the hallway to the waiting room. Once they arrived at the waiting room Mouse went and sat back down where he originally was and Antonio sat down beside him just in case. It wasn't that Mouse was weak, he was very strong, but he was the most troubled right now. He was the closest to Jay out of everyone and Mouse was the one that was taking this the hardest. It was ten minutes later when Will came back and Erin looked up at him.
"Did you get a hold of your father?"
"Ya he's on his way in." Will said back.
"You called your father?" Mouse asked looking over to Will.
"Of course I did. Jay's in surgery we don't know what could happen. He should be here." Will said.
"Jay wouldn't want him here." Mouse said.
"He's our father. Whatever happened between him and Jay doesn't change that Jay's his son and deserves to be here."
"The only thing that bastard deserves is a bullet in the brain. Jay'll be pissed that he is here. He might be your father, but he is nowhere near Jay's." Mouse said with disgust.
"Not that it's any of your business Mouse, but whatever little falling out they had doesn't change that they love each other." Will said back with anger growing in his voice.
"No they don't. Jay hates his guts and is just waiting for the day he can spit on his grave. You're a great doctor Will, but a shitty brother."
"You want to do this now Mouse? Fine what exactly is your problem with me?" Will said angered and annoyed.
"My problem? Ya alright. My problem would be the fact that not once, but twice, twice. Jay came back from war and where the hell were you? You were off partying. Your mother was dying and Jay is the one that had to deal with it all on his own. He dealt with your mother dying plus coming back from his first tour. And you were out partying. He needed you and you were nowhere to be found. You didn't even call him to see if he was okay after he came back. He almost died that second tour, you were in med school you could have come over and checked him out. It should have been you who went looking for him at night when he would disappear for days just getting drunk. It should have been you sitting in the hospital while he got his stomach pumped time and time again for alcohol poisoning. It should have been you there at night when he woke up screaming. It should have been you. But you didn't care enough about him. After everything he protected you from. After everything he went through to keep you safe. The one time he desperately needed his brother you didn't even care enough to pick up a phone and make sure he was still alive." Mouse said with strength, but a shaky voice as his hands still shook.
"I'm not saying I've been perfect, but he hasn't either. I've made mistakes with Jay and I should have been around more for him afterwards. I know that and I've apologised for that. We've moved on from it. We've become closer again and we're in a good place. If Jay doesn't want Dad here then he can tell me himself. Until then I'm not going to keep Dad away when he has every right as a father to be here."
"He doesn't want him here."
"I'll wait until I hear it from Jay."
"I know everyone's emotions are running high and hot right now. I think it's important to point out that we don't need to be fighting with each other as well. The both of you care very much for Jay. He cares about you both just as much. He wouldn't want you arguing right now. He's going to need you both to get passed all of this trauma. As hard as it might be you need to put any issues or hard feelings that you have between each other away. Jay needs you to do that." Dr. Charles said trying to get them to calm down.
Will rubbed his hands over his face before he sat down in a chair next to Erin. There wasn't anything he could do right now, but wait for when Rhodes would be done with his brother.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
It wasn't for another twelve hours before Rhodes finally came into the waiting room. Will and Jay's father, Frank, had arrived ten hours ago and had simply sat down and didn't say anything. The others could see he was strict and stiff. He didn't even ask anything about what happened or what was wrong with Jay. When Rhodes did finally come into the room everyone, but Frank, stood up and went over closer to Rhodes to see what he had to say.
Rhodes held his hands up as he spoke. "He's alive and he's going to make a full recovery."
Rhodes could see the tension in everyone melt away with that simple news that weighed so heavy on all of their hearts.
"Injuries?" Will asked knowing that twelve hours was too long to be in surgery without something seriously wrong.
"He was seriously injured and had a lot of them. There were three of us operating on him at the same time. He's a strong fighter his body held up during surgery and his heart didn't stop once. Starting from the top, he has bruising on his brain, but he doesn't have any bleeding or swelling to his brain. The bruising will heal with time. He also has a six inch skull fracture."
"That's a big skull fracture." Will said with concern.
"It is. It's on the right side of his head. Both the skull fracture and the bruising will give him some side-effects. We won't know more until he is awake and aware enough to talk for a neuro examine. But he could throw up, be dizzy, confused, forgetful, have balance issues, lapse in memories, shaky hands. There's no telling what side-effects he could have until he is awake."
"How long will it take to heal?" Al asked.
"Three months give or take a week. It's not something that is going to be quick to heal from. In three months we'll run a test and we can see how he has healed. He won't be able to return to work until the head injuries are healed."
"He can have all the time he needs." Voight said.
"Moving down. We had to operate on his mouth. The drill destroyed most of his molars and it even went down to his jaw bone in a couple of spots on the left side. It cracked his jaw on the bottom and the top. Our oral surgeon was able to put crowns in and repaired his damaged gums. The cracks will take time to heal and his jaw will hurt from it. It's slightly swollen right now on the left side. It'll be about eight weeks until his jaw bones heal fully. Until then it will hurt to move his jaw so simple easy foods for the next two months will help with the pain from chewing. Ice against his jaw will also help to numb the pain as well. His neck has deep bruising from a chain choking him. There is bruising to his wind pipe and vocal cords. His voice will be raspy for a little while until the bruising starts to fade. His torso is covered in bruising and cuts. The drill did some damage internally. Most were superficial, but a few went right through. One was to the left side of his lung. Another went to his liver and right kidney as well as his right forearm which we have placed a cast on. We've repaired the damage done to his organs and are monitoring him closely. His back held deep lacerations from what I am going to assume was a chain as well. His back took over five hundred stitches to it. They are infected and we need to keep a very close eye on them. He has a fever of a hundred and one, we are trying to lower it. He's on a broad spectrum of anti-biotics as well. The problem we are facing is the cold in the room gave him hypothermia. Even though he has a fever his body is reacting as if he was still cold and his core body temp is not up to normal levels. His body is both hot and cold and because of the fever we can't use normal measures to raise his body temperature. We turned the heat up in the room so it'll help get him warm without physical contact on his body to raise the fever temperature. It will take longer though and it may still cause the fever to climb until we are able to get it under control. He also has pneumonia from the multiple drownings. His chest showed bruising from multiple CPR attempts and his heart monitor results are showing that his heart had been under stress indicating that his heart did stop and they brought him back multiple times to continue the torture. We pumped the water out of his lungs, but due to the stress on his body from the torture and surgery we have him sedated and intubated. We are leaving him sedated for the next twelve hours to give his body and lungs the break it needs. His eyes are both swollen shut and once the sedative wears off and he wakes up he will panic with the tube in his throat and not being able to see. It's vital that he calms down as his body will naturally fight the tubing. Talk to him and get him to calm down. He won't understand what is happening and he could think he is being tortured. Talk to him and let him know he is safe. Hit the nurse call button and I will come and see if we can remove the tube. If his oxygen levels are high enough that he can use just an oxygen mask then I can remove it. If not then I'll have to sedate him again for a few more hours to try and get his oxygen levels up high enough."
"What is it at now?" Will asked.
"Forty percent. I'm confident that within the next twelve hours his levels will be up high enough that we can remove the tube. Both of his wrists were cut up pretty good from him fighting the restraints. We had to use surgical glue to close the cuts the wounds, but they won't scar. He has three broken fingers, two on his right hand and one to his left. He has both electrical burns from a cattle prod and fire burns on his torso. The burns are second degree and will be painful for the next twelve hours, but he will be sedated so his body won't feel it. Afterwards they will just be tender until they have fully healed. He's got a long recovery, but he will make a full one. I'm going to be here for the next twelve hours checking in on Jay and just in case something happens. April, is going to be staying as well and doing check-ups every hour on Jay as well. As hard as it is, all we can do is wait now."
"Thanks Doc." Voight said.
"I'm gonna be in there with him. I'm not going anywhere." Will said.
"I figured. He's in a private room and we put a cot in the room for anyone who wanted to stay and needed to catch up on some sleep." Rhodes said with a small smile.
"Thanks for everything. I owe you." Will said.
"You would have done the same for me. You guys can see him. Talk to him if you want he's sedated but he might be able to hear you. Will, you know when he starts to come out of sedation what to do. Page me and I'll come down to hopefully take the tube out. I know you all have been worried about him. He's safe and for the next twelve hours he won't be waking up. I would suggest that some of you go home and get some sleep and eat something. You all are looking rundown we don't need anyone else getting sick. He's in good hands now and out of the woods." Rhodes said calmly.
"We'll head out soon after we see him." Antonio said.
"He's in room 510. Sargent Voight I just need you for a moment to fill out some paperwork." Rhodes said with an easy smile.
"Sure. You guys go on up and I'll meet you there."
"Thank-you." Erin said with a smile to Rhodes and Rhodes just gave a nod.
They all headed over to the elevator and Frank got up and went over as well at a calm pace. Voight looked to Rhodes as he spoke.
"You need me to sign for medical leave?"
"No, well yes, but no. Would you mind coming with me please to an office so we can talk privately?"
"Lead the way." Voight said calmly, but he was worried about what Rhodes needed to speak to him about that he couldn't say in front of anyone.
Voight followed Rhodes into an office down the hallway. The office was empty and Rhodes went over to the desk and opened the drawer and pulled out a file. Rhodes then turned his attention to Voight.
"I shouldn't technically be doing this. Jay could argue that it is a breach of privacy. But you are his Sargent and you have the right to request access to his medical files for safety reasons. Even a verbal request and I would have to explain any questions you have within the file."
Voight nodded his head clearly getting what Rhodes was trying to say.
"Well given Halstead's current state I'd be neglectful not to see his medical file." Voight said smoothly.
"I have no right to deny you that request." Rhodes opened the file and handed it to Voight to the page that he wanted Voight to see. "We did multiple full body scans to ensure we didn't miss any injuries. As you can see there is extensive pass injuries that go back to the age of three. Multiple broken bones, factures, black eyes, cuts, stitches and dislocated shoulders. These injuries did not come from falls or fights as he gave as excuses to the doctors in a free clinic. They came from someone more close to home. Someone that was in that waiting room."
Voight gave a nod as he looked over the long list of injuries that Jay had endured between the ages of three and sixteen. It was clear they had come from an abusive parent. Voight was shocked though. He didn't even think that Jay would have come from an abusive household. He didn't have any of the characteristics of someone being abused. He could see Mouse being in that category, but not Jay.
"That would explain why Mouse fought to not have his father here." Voight said.
"There might be another reason for that. Will told me that Mouse and Jay are very close and they tell each other everything. I'm sure Jay told Mouse about the abuse, but he probably told him everything."
"Everything?"
Rhodes pulled out a scan from one they did today. He handed it to Voight as he spoke.
"This is a scan of his hips. As you can see on the inside of his hip bones there are these lines. That's from older fractures. The older the fractures the lighter they are. The first one are from him being three and the most recent are from him being sixteen."
"Kinda an odd place to have multiple fractures." Voight said not really seeing what Rhodes was telling him.
"It is and only that many can come from one thing. Someone coming up behind him and grabbing him hard for long periods of time, multiple times causing the bones to fracture. It's easier at the younger ages as bones get harder the older you get."
"So he was grabbed from behind by his father. How does that make it worse than everything else?" Still not understanding.
"He also had tears in the muscles in his jaw. That only happens when you have to hold your mouth open too long and your muscles tear from the strain on them. It's more common in children as they aren't used to holding their mouths open and they have smaller mouths. Opening it too wide tears the muscles apart. Both of these repeated injuries are clear signs of long years of rape and molestation." Rhodes said sadly and clinically.
Rage began to fill Voight. He had his own son and he could never imagine ever raising his fist to him let alone doing anything this disgusting and evil to him. To know that Jay and just three years old had to endure being not only physically abused, but sexually brought a great pain inside of Voight. Voight was a father and it got to him when children were involved and even though Jay wasn't a child he was a part of the family. Voight didn't want any pain to come to Jay and after everything he had been through growing up he didn't need this trauma to go with it.
"That son of a bitch is up there with him right now."
"I know, but legally unless Jay says he doesn't want him here there isn't anything we can do. We can't prove that it was his father that did this. We all know it, but we can't prove it. Jay is sedated, but I would strongly recommend that once he is awake you keep that piece of garbage away from him. Seeing him could cause Jay to go backwards and his health is more important than anything right now. I don't care if he only winks at you, but you need to get him to tell you to keep his father away and we can make sure he doesn't come in the hospital."
"Will doesn't know." Voight stated.
"If he did he wouldn't be allowing his father here. I can't tell Will and you can't either right now. Jay kept this quiet except for Mouse for a reason. It could be to protect Will or maybe he thinks Will won't believe him. It didn't happen to Will based on how he acts around his father and thinks of him for what that might be worth."
"Halstead probably protected him from it growing up. Might be why it went until he was sixteen."
"It's possible. When he was sixteen his father either stopped or Jay fought back and his father knew he couldn't keep him in line anymore."
"I'll get that son of a bitch out of here and keep him away from Halstead. I appreciate you telling me this."
"It's too risky to keep quiet. If Jay sees his father he could tail spin and his body can't handle that right now."
"I'll make sure he doesn't go near him. Thanks Doc."
"I wish I could say it was my pleasure. He's strong and tough though, he'll make it through this. He's not doing it alone anymore and that will help a great deal."
"He's got a family now we'll get him back on his feet." Voight said as he handed the file back over to Rhodes.
"I'll come up and check in on him in a couple of hours. Try and see if you can get Will or Mouse to sleep. I know neither one of them will be leaving his side for the next twelve hours."
"I'll get one of them too. Appreciate it."
"We all work together right."
They headed out of the office and Voight headed to the elevator and up to Jay's room. He couldn't believe that Jay had been abused so horribly when he was younger. He never expected it, but at the same time he could see the small signs. The way he acted with EJ and the swim coach. The extreme protectiveness he has towards children and even Mouse. Voight thought it was because of the two tours, but it was also more than that as he thought about it. He protected him from danger of any kind. He was always there to make sure Mouse was okay after a hard day. Voight found them together down in the old tech room after shift drinking a few beers many times and even had a beer with them a couple of times. It was a brotherly relationship and Jay wanted to protect Mouse from anything painful in the world. Voight was going to keep an eye on Jay and Mouse until Jay was better again.
Voight headed into the room to see everything was still there. He saw how horrible Jay looked and he still couldn't believe that he had endured fifteen days of torture. Mouse, Will and Erin were the closest to the bed and Frank was off in the background not really caring or even bothering to try to look like he cared. Voight went over to the foot of the bed next to Al and Antonio.
"Everything okay?" Al asked.
"Ya just paperwork to clear the medical leave on our end. Look, I know you all want to be here for him but Rhodes is right. We can't do anything for him and we all need sleep. Five minutes and we can head out and get some sleep." Voight said to everyone.
"I'm not leaving him." Erin said.
"You need sleep and food Erin." Voight said calmly.
"I can do that here." Erin said back.
"Will and Mouse will be here. I can't make them leave, but I can make you leave. You need rest and you might as well do that while he is resting. Sleep for a few hours then come back, but you're leaving Erin. You can sleep at the house if you want." Voight said.
"Really Erin he's just going to be doing this. He won't wake up for at least twelve hours it could be longer. He wouldn't want you to be rundown and sitting here all day." Will said trying to get Erin to see reason.
"Ya fine, but only for a few hours and then I'm coming back." Erin said.
"We'll be here." Mouse said.
"Mouse why don't you sleep first? You've been awake longer than me and then I'll sleep." Will said.
Mouse ran his hands over his face and gave a nod.
"Come on guys let's get some sleep. I'll text you when I'm on my way back I can bring you some food." Antonio said to Will and Mouse.
"Thanks." Will said.
"Mr. Halstead, do you need a lift?" Voight asked.
"I drove." Frank simply said.
"Dad, you're not staying?" Will asked slightly surprised.
"No point with him being out for twelve hours. Call me when he wakes up." Frank said before he made his way out of the room.
The others looked at each other clearly surprised that Jay's father just up and left. Mouse took the gun, knife and badge off from his belt and held it out to Voight Ashe poke.
"What happens now Sargent?"
"Nothing you need to worry about as you were in the car with Will." Voight said as he took the items.
"Sargent?" Mouse asked confused.
"What you did was illegal no matter how good the reason was. Keep your mouth shut and I'll take care of it. We'll talk more about it tomorrow."
"Yes Sir." Mouse said slightly surprised that Voight was going to lie to protect him. Mouse never expected that.
"Let's head out." Voight said as he took one last look at Jay's still form.
They all made their way out of the room and left only Mouse and Will to be with Jay for a few hours. They headed to the front entrance where the cars were so they could drive back to the district and get their own cars again. On the way outside Voight walked with Antonio and placed a hand on his arm so he would slow down some. Antonio looked at Voight and slowed his pace so he wasn't as close to the others.
"His father shows up and I'm not there keep him away from Halstead as long as you can once he wakes up." Voight whispered with hatred in his voice.
"So that wasn't about paperwork."
"Let's just say Mouse has a reason to hate the son of a bitch."
Understanding hit Antonio's eyes and quickly followed by shock. "Halstead? Really?"
"I saw the file myself and it went on every level. Every one of them." Voight said with rage.
"Fuck off." Antonio said with his own anger.
Voight just gave a nod and Antonio let out a breath.
"That son a bitch shouldn't be anywhere near him."
"Rhodes said that until Halstead is awake to tell us to keep him away we can't. Once he's awake we need to keep him away from Halstead until we can get Halstead to acknowledge it. I don't care once Halstead's awake we keep him out and away no matter what."
"Got it. That's fucking wild. I wouldn't expect it."
"No one would."
They got to the cars and they headed into them and headed back to the district so they could head home for a few hours of sleep. Tomorrow they were hoping Jay would be awake and finally on the road to being healed. It was going to be a long road, but they were all going to be there for him.