lung part 2

What happened after chapter 12

"

I got him. Grab his legs!" Kevin said, gently putting his strong arms under the limp body of one of his best friends. Burgess nodded, and they slowly made their way off the roof. There was a red stain where Adam had just been laying, but they couldn't tell where it was coming from. Not that they had time to look, because the maniac that had put Jay in a hospital bed was still looming over them. The only reason they had gotten to Adam was that Voight had now created a very intimidating barrier between them. They pushed their way into the top floor of the hospital, which was the ICU wing. By a stroke of luck, Will and Erin were just walking out of Jay's room when the saw the two other detectives coming towards them. Questions flooded through Erin's mind, but all she could manage was
"What the...?" Before Will jumped into action. He called for a gurney, and once Adam was laid down, he immediately got to work on him even while they were still enroute to a ER room. A nurse carefully pulled the vest off and cut away his shirt. As he was rolled into a trauma room, Will put his stethoscope to his chest as the rest of the nurses were working to figure out what was wrong. Suddenly, Will dropped the stethoscope and put his hands onto Ruzeks chest starting CPR.
"He's in cardiac arrest! Get him on oxygen, I need to shock him!" Will said, then grabbed the defibrillator paddles.
Later...
Voight stood in the hallway of Chicago Med glancing back and forth between the rooms that held two of his detectives. Three days had passed since the Jay's incident and the ordeal on the roof. He had just left Halsteads room and convinced Erin to eat something. She refused to leave his side for more than a few minutes at a time, worried that if she did, he wouldn't be there when she got back. The lung that had collapsed this time was the same one that was damaged in the explosion, putting him in even worse shape than the first time, and leaving him dependent on a ventilator. Voight sighed, then looked up as he heard footsteps approaching.
"Commander." He said, greeting the man.
"How are they?" She asked.
"About the same. Can I help you with something?" Voight asked.
"Actually, yea. You can tell me what happened on the roof the other day." He said. Voight had been staring past her, only barley listening, but now she had his full attention.
"I filled out a report, didn't you read it?" Voight asked, pursing his lips in annoyance. He knew how these conversations went, and was pretty well versed.
"I did, but here's the thing. I don't believe it. Was there a reason to shoot the suspect?" Commander asked.
"He had a gun pointed at my detectives chest. One who was already unconscious from a nearly lethal taser hit. I was protecting my team, and if you have a question of that, ask the rest of them." Hank answered, anger starting to rise into his voice. The commander was just about to reply when suddenly a loud noise from the monitor inside Ruzeks room going off. Multiple nurses and doctors pushed past the two high ranking officers to get to the detective who was in distress once again.
Days later...
Jay carefully straightened the tie on his dress blues, and stared at his bruised face in the bathroom mirror. He turned his head slightly and studied the bruise on his temple, looking to where the bootprint was visible inside the plethora of colors the bruise had taken on in the past few days. Then he slowly reached up and pulled the bandage off of the cut starting at the underside of his nose and snaking down to his top lip. A few minutes later, he grabbed his crutches and hibled out of the bathroom, down the hall, and into the court room with Erin at his side.
"The prosecution calls Detective Jay Halstead to the stand." The prosecutor said. Erin handed Jay his crutches, and he made his way through the isle and towards the bench.
"Detective, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"
"I swear." Jay answered.
"Good afternoon Detective. How are you feeling?" Mr. Anthony asked as Jay settled into the witness stand.
"I'm feeling very good, thank you for asking." Jay answered.
"Good to hear. Detective, can you walk us through the events that took place on the evening of the 24th?" Anthony asked.
"It had been a fairly routine workday. We didn't have any open cases, so it was a day of paperwork. I left the precinct at approximately 3:30pm to grab dinner, and when I returned, my sargeant brought it to my attention that there was a note on my desk of someone requesting to have a talk with me. They had included a time and a place for a meeting." Jay explained.
"Is the person that asked to meet with you in the room today?" Mr. Anthony asked.
"Yes sir. The man sitting right over there, Neal." Jay said.
"Let the record show that Detective Halstead pointed to the defendant. " Mr. Anthony said. Jay watched the man glare at him from across the courtroom. Jay didn't even flinch, and met Neal's gaze without backing down.
"Thank you detective, the prosecution rests." Mr. Anthony said, then sat down.
"The defense has no questions for the witness."
"Thank you detective. You may leave the stand." Judge Willis said. Jay nodded, and took his seat back in the crowd for the rest of the trial.
Later...
"On the first count of attempted murder of a police officer against Neal Harris, how does the jurry find?" Judge Willis asked.
"Guilty." The woman answered.
"On the second count of attempted murder of a police officer against Neal Harris, how does the jurry find?"
"Guilty." The woman again answered. Jay looked over at Adam with a nod of satisfaction. Adam returned his look.
"Thank god it's only attempted murder!" He whispered to Jay and his fellow detectives sitting around him. They then listened as the charges against the man continued to come, all with the same verdict. The Chicago Intelligence crew sat happily, glad that not only was this low life going to prison for the rest of his life, but also that they still had both Jay and Adam with them to celebrate the moment.
"On behalf of this court and the state of Illinois, Neal Harris is sentenced to life in prison, without the chance of parole." Judge Willis said, and finalized it with the strike of his gavel. Jay stood up and rested on his crutches, watching as an officer walked towards Neal to cuff him and lead him away. Jay made his way out into the isle and was on his way out when he suddenly caught and unusual movement out of the corner of his eye. Suddenly, Neal forcefully flipped the table he was sitting behind across the room, and grabbed a gun that had been smuggled in for him, and pointed it towards Jay.
"I should've just shot you in that alley!" He screamed. The crowd gasped as a shot echoed through the room. Everyone's attention first went to Jay, who was still standing, looking confused. Their eyes quickly switched to where Harris lay dead on courtroom floor, blood looking under his head. Voight lowered his weapon, and slid it back into the holster.
"Some people just don't know how to take a second chance when it comes to them." He said, and shook his head.