quiver

Q is for Quiver

This guy sure has a weird weapon choice Jay thought to himself as he stared at the pictures on the board, and the case file in his hands. The team was investigating the murder of a young man who was found isn't the woods after being shot with an arrow. They were a two days into the case with nothing. No suspects, no leads. Nothing.
"Man I hate this time in a case." Jay said shaking his head.
"What time is that?" Adam asked, looking up from his computer.
"The not knowing. The time where we have nothing. It's just kind of annoying." Jay said, starting to pace. Suddenly, it was as if God had heard his conversation. Jay studied the pictures on the board a little closer, then walked to his desk and began typing something in his computer.
"What'd you get?" Erin asked, looking at Jay who sat eagerly in his chair.
"Hm...?" Jay mumbled, not looking up from his screen. Now Erin knew he had a theory.
"What's on your mind? You have that look on your face." Erin said.
"Ok, so does anyone else find it strange that this guy was shot with and arrow? I mean sure, people hunt in those woods, but with guns. Nobody uses bows anymore. So that got me thinking, what shoots arrows with the same speed as a gun?" Jay said, once again pacing.
"A crossbow?" Al chimed in. The rest of the team was slowly catching on.
"Exactly. And the witness said he heard a click, like a gunshot, but quieter...that had to have been what he heard. It makes the most sense." Jay said, looking at the picture of the arrow.
"Ok, so now we know what weapon he used, but how does that help us?" Voight asked, walking out of his office.
"How many hunting stores are their in this Chicago? Not like there's many woods around here." Adam asked, thinking of a way to track the bow.
"Unless the guy bought it somewhere else." Kevin said.
"Well if he brought it in from out of state, he'd have to have had a permit for it! That's if he brought it in legally anyway." Jay said, going back to his computer to search the databases.
"Well it's a start at least. Run with it." Voight said. The team returned to their desks and continued their work.
Later
Jay felt the instincts the army taught him kicking in as he and the rest of Intelligence made their way through the woods behind the cabin. The police tape was still up from days ago when the police had found this to be the primary crime scene. Even though it was early summer, the woods had a eerie feel to them. The team had arrived at the cabin a few minutes ago, and were now searching the woods for the suspect who had fled on foot.
"Does anyone have eyes on the suspect?" Voight asked through the earpiece. The same response came from each member of the group: the man was nowhere to be found.
"I know everyone split up to cover more ground, but this guy is armed and dangerous. Be careful, and watch your back a little extra. It's likely he's in camo." Voight continued. Everyone gave their affirmative, and continued the search. Jay heard a twig snap and jumped around, looking back with his gun ready to fire, but was met with only an innocent little fox who quickly darted away. Jay shook his head and continued on. I know we're supposed to be careful, but your a little extra jumpy. Calm down. Jay said to himself. He hated how much being alone in the woods brought back memories of his days overseas. He wasn't even stationed in a wooded area. He took a deep breath, trying to suppress the flashbacks flooding into his mind. He was snapped back to reality when he heard a crack, and felt the wind of an arrow fly by his side. He spun around and raised his gun looking for the source. He was on high alert now, searching fervently around him for the shooter.
"Sarge I've got eyes on the suspect. He running north of the back on the cabin." Kevin's voice came through the earpieces, and Jay turned and began searching north of him.
"Follow him, but do it quietly! Don't spook him. Everyone else get over there." Voight said.
"Got it." Kevin responded, with the others affirming that they were coming. Jay kept searching, running towards the direction that Kevin had seen the man last. Suddenly, he heard another crack, and felt a sharp pain in his thigh.
"I found the suspects Quiver. Sarge, there's two arrows missing. Found one of them in a tree, but I don't know where the other one is." Kevin said, picking up the arrow.
"I...I've got a location o...on the other a...arrow." Jay said with a grimace.
"Where?" Kevin asked, looking around, slightly confused. He didn't see jay anywhere.
"It's...in my leg." Jay said, looking down at the bloody feathers of the arrow sticking out of his thigh.
Shock and worry filled the rest of the team when they heard Jay's response.
"Where are you Jay?" Voight asked.
"Uh...about four miles from the back of the cabin. The suspect just ran off to my left." Jay said, and everyone immediately took off in his direction.
"Don't you dare try to go after him Jay!" Erin yelled. It wouldn't surprise any of them if he tried. Jay sighed, and twisted himself so he was on his back, but his legs were turned, as to not push the arrow any further into his leg. Adam and Erin were the first to run over the hill that Jay was laying beneath. Erin picked up speed when she saw him, and was at his side in seconds. Adam looked around, searching for any signs of the shooter or his bow.
"I got him! Go!" Erin yelled to Adam, who took off. She then repeated the message to Voight, Al and Kim as they joined the pair and subsequently ran past.
"I'm..fine." Jay said, sitting up slowly.
"Uh, last time I checked, being fine didn't include having an arrow stuck in your leg!" Erin replied, to which Jay rolled his eyes. Erin pulled off the light plaid shirt she was wearing and tied off the wound. She strapped her vest back on, and continued to tend to him.
"But you love that shirt!" Jay said when he looked at her carefully cleaning the blood off.
"I do, but I can get another one. I can't get another you if you die on me." Erin said.
"I'm not going to die." Jay sighed.
"Yea I've heard that before." Erin said raising her eyebrow.
"And it's been true every time!" Jay defended.
"Listen guys, as much as I love listening to this, I think it's time we take a little trip to see how Will's doing. How about we get going?" The pair laughed at Adams remark in their ears.
When the group reached them, Adam and Kevin carefully helped Jay up, and carried his to the waiting ambulance.
Later
Will felt the familiar worry sweep over him as he watched Jay being pushed through the hospital doors. He was busy with another patient, so he gave his younger brother a quick once over, and was shocked to see something sticking out of his leg. The questions ran rampant in his mind, mainly of how he managed to get himself into these situations. He shook his head, and refocused on his patient, knowing Jay was in good hands with Jeff.
When he finally finished, he walked over to the room that Jay was in.
"That's it. You've managed to hurt yourself in every way possible." Will said, looking at the arrow that they had just pulled out of Jay. Ethan was now stitching up the wound.
"Oh definitely, because I can shoot myself in the back of the leg. For sure." Jay said sarcastically.
"You just seem to be an injury magnet, that's all. You worry me." Will said.
"It seems like I worry a lot of people." Jay said.
"Well that's not a bad thing. That means you've got a lot of people that care about you!" Ethan said, finishing the bandage, and grabbing a pair of crutches from the corner.
"How is he?" Erin asked walking back into the room.
"All ready to go! Just a few stitches. Once they come out, you'll be good as new!" Ethan said.
"Thanks Doc." Jay said, getting up. Erin grabbed his stuff, and they walked out. He talked to Will for a little, and they agreed to go to diner later that evening.