wrists

W is for Wrists
J

ay clenched his fits against the pain that was spreading through his entire body. He then released them when the movement caused a piercing pain in his wrists from the thick rope that was holding them to the chair he was in. He barley contained a scream of pain when his captor landed one last blow to his exposed stomach. He took a deep breath, trying to stop the spinning that the pain had caused. Jay glared at the sick grin that stretched across the man's face as he put down the metal pole, one of the various objects Jay had been beat with for the last three hours straight.
"I must say, I'm surprised. Most people are begging to let them tell me what I want to know by now. I've even managed to work up a sweat. Looks like we'll have to try something else." The words sent a whirlwind of panic through him, but he forced his face to remain the same. Every time he had heard that last sentence in his life, it had only been followed by worse pain. Unfortunately for him, this time wasn't an exception. The man turned around with a large pair of rusty, blood stained pliers in his hand. His smile grew wider the closer he came.
"Let's see how much your people really care about you. We're gonna send them...oh, what do you cops call it? Proof of life." The man said. Jay's screams of agony could be heard throughout the room, but no one would hear him through the thick walls.
Later
"Do we have any leads on Jay? Are we any closer to finding him?" Voight asked. Erin was pacing the floor still. He had been missing ever since he had gone for a run early this morning. Erin had wanted to sleep in, and had opted not to go with him. All she could think about was how this was all her fault. She chose sleep over her boyfriend, and now he might be dead because of it.
"Sarge, this just came for you. A young girl dropped it off." Platt walked upstairs with a box inside. She set it down on the desk, and everyone gathered around with curiosity.
"Who gave it to her?" Voight asked.
"She said she didn't know. He payed her, so she did it. She said he was wearing dark sunglasses and a maroon hat." Platt said. Voight thanked her, then slowly opened the lid. Adam quickly turned away as a wave of disgust filled him. Erin followed suit. Voight pulled the cellphone out of the box as it started ringing, and motioned for the techs to try and get a trace to find out where the call was coming from.
"Voight." He said, answering the call.
"Hello sergeant. I believe this means you have received my package. You know, I have to hand it to you. Whatever you've done, you've trained him well. You should be very proud of Jay. Wouldn't talk even after I extracted the little gift for you." A deep, raspy voice said from the other end of the line.
"What do you want?" Voight asked, anger creeping into his voice.
"For Tyler Potts to be released from your custody. You will bring my broth...him, you will bring him to the Southeast Pier tonight at 11:00 on the dot. Once you are there, you will exchange him for your detective. One lone police car. I will be armed, and if you try anything, I will not hesitate to execute your detective." The voice said.
"How do I know that my detective is alive?" Voight asked.
"Trust me." The man said.
"I trust no one. Either you let me talk to him, or no deal." Voight said, standing his ground.
"Fine. Say hello." He said. Voight could hear Jay's ragged breathing through the phone.
"S...Sarge." The voice was weak and crackly.
"Jay. Hang tough, we're gonna get you out of there." Voight said, softening with worry.
"T...tell Erin...I...love..h...er." Jay forced the sentence out between painful breaths.
"I won't need to. Your gonna tell her yourself. We're coming to get you." Voight said, determination now filling him, running alongside the anger.
"You've listed your requirements, now I have one of my own. My detective comes back alive. If he is anything less than that tonight, you will feel the full weight of the CPD crash down on you." Voight said, clenching his fist.
"Is that supposed to scare me Sergeant? To bad you have no idea who I am." The man asked.
"Well, judging by the fact that you stopped yourself before you said brother before you said his name, that'd make you Ryan Potts. You were hoping I wouldn't notice, weren't you?" Voight said.
"Listen, you bring me my brother, or Halstead dies, and you never see me again!" Ryan yelled.
"That's not likely. Anyway, you hold up your end of the deal, I'll hold up mine. But if my detective dies because of you, I don't care what hole you dig yourself, I will hunt you down. And when I find you, the hole I dig for you will be permanent." Voight said, and hung up.
"You really think threatening him was a good idea? How do you know he won't just kill Jay now?!" Erin yelled.
"Because we have something he wants. Ruzek, get Tyler Potts out of the cage. The rest of you, we've got an hour to find out everything we can about this family. I want to know where they like to eat, what movies they go to, what pets they had when they were little. Every last detail. If you've got any people who owe you favors, now is the time to use them. Go!" Voight said, and everyone immediately broke off and busied themselves with finding their brother in blue.
Meanwhile...
Jay tried to blink away the blood that was running into his eye from the cut on his left eyebrow. He looked down at his bloody skin where his fingernails once were, trying to push the pain away by strength of mind. Instead on focusing on the pain, he started to plan how he would get out of there. Sure, he knew his team was coming for him, and that they would find him, but he still figured he should do his part in any way he could.
"Since you won't tell me what you cops think you have on my brother, I've been forced to make a deal with the devil. You for him. Let's just hope your not dead before then." Ryan said, the evil smile slowly returning to his face.
"I think your the one who needs to be worried. The last guy that came after Voight's family? Well, they never found his body." Jay said, as if the words gave him his strength back. Ryan looked at him but said nothing, but Jay noticed a small glimpse of fear in his eyes. Then, Ryan turned and suddenly left the room.
Later
"I have eyes on the suspects vehicle. The gray van up ahead." Adam said through the earpiece.
"Everyone keep back. We move in when we have Jay." Voight said to his plainclothes detectives. He and Erin were the lone officers that the man had required. Worry was mixed with anger as Erin stepped out of the car, and pulled the man out of the car behind him. Her anger was intensified as the tall, heavy built man stepped out of the other car, walking towards them.
"Tyler. It's fine, I'm getting you out of here." Ryan said, looking at his brother.
"We had a deal. Where's my Halstead?" Erin said, her anger growing to rage as she tightened her grip on the young man's arm, with the other on her gun.
"Yea yea whatever. He's in the van. You can have the whole car, just give me my brother!" Ryan yelled, opening the car door to reveal a battered Jay laying on the floor.
"Jay! Can you hear me?" Erin yelled, as planned.
"Y...Yea..." Jay said, the effort of speaking making his entire body shake.
"Alright, he's alive. Come get your brother." Voight said. Ryan took a few quick steps forward, and Voight gave the signal as soon as he was far enough away from the vehicle. Adam whipped his gun out from under his belt, and sprinted up behind the suspect.
"Get on your knees! Get down!" Adam yelled as Ryan spun around. Two shots rang out, and Ryan dropped to the ground. Erin shoved his brother back in the car, and sprinted towards Jay. Kevin was right behind her, while Adam kicked the gun away from the dead captor.
"Jay! Can you you hear me?! Look at me!" Erin said, climbing into the van next to him, and pulling his head close.
"H...hey.." Jay said, trying to force a smile.
"We need an ambulance Sarge!" Erin yelled out of the door.
"Uh...I don't think he has that much time." Kevin said with fear. He carefully picked up one of Jay's wrists and showed it to Erin before quickly bandaging them. Both wrists had a deep, jagged cut inches below the palm.
"Sarge, he's gonna bleed out before an ambulance gets here." Kevin said.
"Then what are you waiting for? Get him out of here! Adam and Olinsky, get them a police escort! Go!" Voight said. Erin squeezed Jay's writs to try to stop the bleeding, and Kevin jumped in the drivers seat. The three car procession sped off, tires squealing.
"30 years old male, deep lacerations to the wrists, multiple fractured ribs and facial bones, possible ruptured spleen, punctured liver." Will looked at his computer, not glancing up when the bay doors opened. He had to finish entering this information first. Then he caught a glimpse of Erin out of the corner of his eye, and his attention was immediately drawn to the patient being taken into trauma three behind Dr. Manning.
"Are you ok? Your covered in blood! What happened?" Will asked, rushing over to Erin.
"It's...it's not mine. Jay...he got kidnapped... he's...it's bad." Erin said chocking on her tears. Will turned in shock to see the amount of blood coming from his brothers body. As much as he wanted to stay with Erin, he handed her off to a nurse who guided her away, then rushed in to save his brother.
Later
Jay let out a frustrated sigh as he dropped the fork onto the hospitals dinner tray again.
"Here, let me help you." Erin said, walking over.
"No! I'm fine. I got it!" Jay said.
"Jay. Your wrists are still weak, and they probably still hurt. You shouldn't even be moving them!" Erin said, picking up the fork.
"Their fine. I'm not an invalid, I can feed myself!" Jay said, getting more frustrated when he dropped it again.
"Ok one: their not fine, you lost half the blood in your body from them! And two: I know full well what your capable of. You proved it to everyone once again considering what you survived in the past two days. And three: If you think I'm being pushy, it's because I watched you nearly bleed to death." Erin said, even when he turned his head down.
"I know...sorry. It's just...I hate not being able to do things for myself. It's not you." Jay said.
"Well I think you need to realize that sometimes you have to let people help you wether you like it or not!" Erin said. Jay shook his head in understanding, then gave her a kiss before picking up the fork, and reluctantly letting her help him.