Chapter 5

Cyberdyne Systems Corporation building, 14:52

Seeing Douglas returning to the building, the security guard was surprised.

— Hey Douglas! Forgot something?

— Yes. I forgot - he answered after a few seconds.

He used the badge to pass through the concierge turnstile and headed toward the elevators. One glance in the direction of the board that indicated the rooms, he processed the entire building. He already knew where his target was.

He entered the empty elevator and pushed the button for the sixth floor. While waiting, he analyzed the building's security systems by identifying the camera model used.

As he stepped out of the elevator on the sixth floor, he headed for the company's CEO reception. He touched an electrical outlet in the corridor, turning off the camera that was filming the area.

The long blond-haired secretary who was filling out some forms barely noticed the terminator. Only when he put his hands on the desk and talk, she realized someone was there.

— I'd like to talk to Dr. Serena Kogan, I'm told she's available, could I see her please?

Looking at Douglas's badge, she found it hard to believe that a technician from the special projects division was asking to speak to the company's president in the middle of a Friday afternoon.

— It may take a while, you can wait if you prefer - she said, pointing to the upholstered three-seat stool at the front desk.

The secretary picked up the phone to warn of the unusual presence of the technician.

— Good afternoon, Mrs. Kogan, here is a technician from the special projects division named Douglas ..." - Forgetting the man's surname she glanced toward the bank to ask, but to her surprise, she discovered an empty room.

— Yes, Patricia. I'm listening - Mr. Kogan said on the phone.

— Forget Mrs. Kogan. I think it was a mistake - she said after getting up from the table to make sure no one was there.

Turned into liquid metal, the Terminator slid down the air conditioning duct into the president's office. Silent as a snake, he stepped out into the private bathroom attached to the living room. As soon as he had collected himself, he tapped the electrical outlet next to the sink to turn off the cameras in the room. From where he was, he could hear Mrs. Kogan's conversation on the phone.

— No! This is out of the question Richard! We will not partner with Google and Microsoft. If we are going to revolutionize the artificial intelligence industry, we will do it alone. After all, we are the world leader in robotics hardware, we have to move on with our own legs in software too. This is my official position.

As soon as she ended the call, the Terminator came out of the bathroom and came at her in quick steps. His arm took the shape of a hammer. Before she could make a sound, he hit her with a blow to the skull. The accuracy of the blow was sufficient to cause an instant death from head trauma without bleeding.

Quickly the Terminator took the form of Mrs. Kogan, hiding her body in the bathroom cabinet. He sat at the table and in a few nanoseconds he captured all the information from the papers that were scattered.

The telephone rang indicating that the call came from the security room.

— Yes? - said the Terminator in Mrs. Kogan's voice.

— Good afternoon Mrs. Kogan, we have detected a problem with the security cameras in your reception and your room.

Immediately the Terminator put his finger on the nearest electrical outlet, reactivating the cameras.

— Wait! They just got back to work! Anyway I will send a technician to check the equipment.

— Yes, do it. Thanks.

As soon as the security officer hung up, the Terminator called Richard.

— Richard? I had an idea for our software development team.