Chapter 7

Los Angeles, ambulance on San Vincent Boulevard. 17:03

Sitting next to the nurses caring for his mother, Danny Dyson felt the weight of guilt as he was on his way to the Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center. After phoning his aunt Tiffany to report what had happened, he thought he might have avoided it, if he had not descended into the basement.

Despite all that was happening, he could not get out of his mind what he had found in his old Pentium MMX. He was flipping through his cell phone the various pages of data copied, still without an answer to how it might have gotten there. He recalled that this computer had not been used since his father died. The lack of interest in the studies due to the mourning, coupled with his mother's psychological problems, made him completely forget that computer. With the change of address to his uncles' house, he eventually gained other equipment. So the old Pentium MMX has remained forgotten all these years. So the mystery persisted: how had that information got there?

Quickly the ambulance left the main avenue and entered the reserved area of ​​the hospital. From where Danny could only see the cream-colored walls cut by brick-arch entrances. Before he could realize that they had reached their destination, the nurses went down with the stretcher where their mother was and ran through the great blue gates.

On leaving the ambulance he saw the red Honda Accord of your uncle coming close behind. His  aunt opened the car door even before it stoped. She ran to meet her nephew to hug him.

— Danny my dear! What happened?

— Hi. She got nervous and passed out. It was a miracle I was around to hold her.

— She got nervous? But with what?

For a second Danny wondered if he should tell the truth.

— I was messing with my dad's things in the basement. She took me by surprise and was thrilled by the memories.

At this point he noticed that his aunt looked worried.

— Today I found out all about cancer. I believe this has nothing to do with the disease.

— I'm so sorry Danny. It was her idea to keep you out of it. I did not agree, but I respected the decision.

— Do not worry. I'm not upset about that, what matters now is that her condition improves.

After parking the car, his uncle appeared and they headed for the hospital reception. They crossed the large, well-lit room to the wooden counter where two attendants stood before huge monitors. While his uncles provided the data for his mother's internment, Danny received a message on his cell phone titled "Interview Schedule".

Before his finger could touch the SPAM key, he wondered at the sender's address: human-resources@cyberdyne.com.

He decided to step back and sit in the inviting dark-wood reception chairs for a better read. The message said:

"Dear Daniel Dyson,

You have been invited to an interview with Cyberdyne Systems Corporation's Special Projects Division Manager, Mr. Richard Russkin, tomorrow, July 6, 2019, at 9am.

Sincerely,

Cynthia White

Human Resources Department

Cyberdyne Systems Corporation "