Chapter 20

Day 3: July 7, 2019Firefly Hotel, Los Angeles, 8:42

After visiting a doctor friend of Lukas to take care of John's leg injury, they decided to spend the night in a cheap hotel before returning to Mexico. The drive to Tucson International Airport could take about seven and a half hours. Because of that it was better that he was able to drive, to share the driving with his mother. After talking with Enrique, they decided that this was the safest way back home.

John added thirteen points to the rest of the scars he was accumulating. Because of the medicines, he had slept about nine hours straight. When he woke up, he saw his mother sitting on the bed using his cell phone. He could have sworn she had wiped a tear before saying good morning, but he was used to distrusting his own perception.

After breakfast, the two kept their attention on the TV, just to make sure their names and photos wouldn't be on the news. In the first morning newscast, news of the great disaster occurred at Cyberdyne headquarters were there. According to the TV channel, because of a terrorist attack, an electromagnetic pulse bomb had been detonated inside the company. Douglas Gibbel's death and the disappearance of Dr. Serena Kogan were considered side effects of the attack. Richard Russkin gave details of the incident during a news conference:

— It was all very fast. Unfortunately the security camera records were all rendered useless by the bomb, so we have no way to assist the police in the investigation by providing images of terrorists. The only thing we can say with certainty is that both men had an Arabian look and accent. Some unofficial sources of information have confirmed to us that Wal-Jihad has taken responsibility for this attack.

Relieved, Sarah pointed the TV remote at Richard's speech.

— Let's go John. We still have a lot of road ahead.

They left Moorkpark Street around ten thirty in the morning. They remained silent along the way until a sign appeared indicating the distance of five hundred miles to Tucson.

— Mom! You missed the entrance! The sign just passed indicated the entrance to Tucson.

— Calm down - she said before lighting a cigarette - Under the circumstances, I decided to visit someone I haven't seen in a long time.

— Are you crazy? - John said worried - It will not be long before the TV begins to pass the images of the explosion of Cyberdyne that happened twenty-four years ago. When they do, guess what names and faces will appear on TV?

— Relax! No one will believe that this white-haired grandma returned from the ashes to finish an unfinished job twenty-four years ago. Also, with this cap you are unrecognizable - she said as she lowered the brim of John's cap, hiding his face.

She stopped the car in front of FairFax High School on Melrose Avenue. Still limping, John got out of the car still not understanding the purpose of that stop. They walked toward the bars surrounding the school's baseball field.

— Since it's quite possible this is the last time I visit Los Angeles, I thought it would be more than reasonable for you to meet your father.

Astonished, John could only widen his eyes at his mother.

— See - she said, pointing to the boys playing baseball on the field - The hitter with the blue cap like yours.

Not knowing what to say, John Connor watched the young Kyle Reese, just sixteen years old, through the crate. As soon as his father took off his cap to wipe the sweat off his forehead, tears ran down John's cheeks.

— This is all insane! Judgment day did not happen. He will never face the machines in the future. I will never send him back to the past to protect you. How can this be possible?

— We'll never know John. We'll never know - she said before placing her hand on her son's shoulder.

Before resuming their way back, the two took one last look at the young man who was having fun with his friends.