Chapter 9

Day 2: July 6, 2019Los Angeles International Airport, 7:48

As they crossed the long corridor of the Arrivals area, Sarah and John were concerned that some face recognition software could identify them, even after so many years. The action of time had been relentless with both of them. Sarah's face now had several lines and her hair was completely white. John carried the marks that alcohol and drugs had made, appearing to be older than his 35 years.

Although their appearance weighed against possible facial recognition, they both followed Enrique's advice and also wore some gimmicks: John wore prescription glasses and Sarah had her hair tied up. They were also lucky enough to pass through the authorities.

They were queuing for Americans with their passports in hand. Sarah was the first to be called.

— Good morning - she said, handing over his passport.

— Good Morning. Please look at the camera Mrs. Brown.

Struggling to look calm, she looked at the small camera that was in front of her face. Ironically, his memories rescued the images of the Terminator's red eye. She felt a shiver run down her spine and clenched her left hand, as if about to punch.

— All right. Welcome, Mrs. Brown - the attendant said, pulling Sarah out of her impending reactive outbreak.

She took a deep breath and thanked him. John was called next.

He presented his passport and stopped in front of the camera after seeing his mother perform the same ritual. His hands shook more than usual. He tucked them into his pants pockets, fearing it might reveal something about him.

— Welcome, Mr. Smith - the attendant said after a few seconds of waiting. He met her mother with a strange sense of freedom that he had not felt in a long time. After all, he was back to his country.

— So far so good - said Sarah - Juarez cartel people must be waiting for us in the parking lot.

Carrying only one backpack each, they spotted a car where a man with a beard and mustache was leaning against, with a cigarette in his hand. As indicated by Enrique, he wore a shirt with the cartel's colors: green and red.

— Sarah Connor? - the man asked as they approached.

— Yes.

— Get in the car - he said as he stepped on his cigarette.

They left the airport in the direction of South Los Angeles. In the back seat, John was awed by the urban landscapes that evoked memories of his childhood.

About twenty-five minutes later, they pulled into the parking lot of a restaurant called "El Pollo Loco".

— Your stuff is over there - said the man, handing the keys in her hands and pointing to the black Toyota RAV4 parked next door.

— OK. Thanks for the ride - Sarah said, preparing to leave.

— Wait! - the man interrupted - Before you leave can you tell me what a grandma like you intend to do with an AR-15 rifle and all that stuff?

Concerned about his mother's reaction, John looked at her in fear, expecting the worst.

— I'll stop the world from being destroyed... again! - she said before getting out of the car.

The sound of laughter faded gradually as the manwalked away from where they were.