Chapter 11

Somewhere on West Pico Boulevard. 10:22

They parked about thirty yards from Winner Tools. Sarah picked up the binoculars and watched the movement inside the store from the car. Both had already put on the bulletproof vests that came with the cartel material.

Nervously, John lit another cigarette to try to contain his anxiety. In that instant he would give it all for a sip of tequila, he thought.

— No sign of Lukas Moser - Sarah said putting away the binoculars - The son of a bitch must not enjoy working.

— Mom, have you considered that we may be dealing with a man this time? You saw how old he was. This may just be a terrible coincidence. Besides, what would a terminator be doing managing a hardware store?

— Did you forget that these sons of bitches are coated with human tissue? Your father told me all about their infiltration capacity. This may be part of some new Skynet plan.

— It may be, but I want you to promise me something anyway. We will not arrive shooting to kill. First let's be absolutely sure what this situation is all about, okay?

She kept silent.

— Mom?

— OK! OK! Let's do it your way.

As soon as she finished speaking, they both noticed the Toyota Sequoia that had stopped right beside them, at the traffic light. Lukas Moser was driving with a cigar in his mouth, next to a young woman. Immediately Sarah put the pistol around her waist and prepared to get out of the car. With no time to think, John followed her movement carrying a large backpack on his back with the AR-15 rifle.

Sarah walked with determined steps toward the Winner Tools parking lot. From where she was, she could see Lukas Moser getting out of the car with the girl. They both entered the store without noticing their presence a few feet behind.

The size of the store was larger than expected. The various corridors that separated the tools in alphabetical order made the place a real maze. They decided to ask an employee for information once they had lost sight of their target.

— Good morning - Sarah said to the boy in the blue uniform - I want to talk to Lukas Moser.

— Good morning! Just a moment I'll check if he is available - he said, picking up his cell phone - Who should I advertise?

— It's Julia Brown, representative of Leatherman Multitools - she said, reading the mark of a wrench on the shelf in front of her.

After a few seconds on the phone, the boy confirmed availability.

— Come with me, I'll take you to Mr. Moser's office.

In an Indian queue, they walked through the winding halls of Winner Tools, until they reached the office at the end of the hall. The boy knocked on the door and a voice answered from inside.

— Come in!

— Mr. Moser this is Julia Brown, a Leatherman Multitools representative.

John's heart was pounding so hard that he believed anyone would be able to hear the sound of a muffled drum in the room. Sarah felt her mouth dry when she saw that man sitting behind an office desk next to a beautiful young woman. No doubt about it: he was an older version of the T800 Terminator, model 101.

— Yes! Good morning - Moser said - I really wanted to talk to you, we need to reorder the twelve-piece key set. Our inventory ran out during the FABTECH fair.

— I'll get some coffee - said the red-haired young woman coming out of the room - Do you accept?

With their eyes fixed on Mr. Moser, both were unable to give answers on any subject. Fortunately John was able to break the trance and say something.