Chapter 13

Cyberdyne, Special Projects Department Meeting Room, 13:55

Following the press conference, Richard Russkin coordinated an extraordinary meeting with all special project officials. Some responsibilities were split to ensure the maintenance of other projects, but much of the team would now be focused on the Skynet project.

The only team that would remain untouched was the one that handled projects for the government's military sector. The deadline for the delivery of a new electromagnetic pulse pump was tight, and the US government could not tolerate delays.

On his first day at work, Danny Dyson was still trying to absorb the full impact of this new experience. Because of the extraordinary situation, instead of being hired as an intern, Danny earned the position of project assistant coordinator. In this way, he would be a kind of right arm of Richard Russkin. He found it hard to believe when Mrs. Kogan stated that he would also have a stake in Cyberdyne's profits. Despite not feeling safe to take on such responsibility, Danny thanked the gesture, explaining that he was very happy to be able to contribute to the work that his father had started.

Despite the excitement, Danny texted his aunt's cell phone every twenty minutes. Her mother's condition remained stable, but she had not yet regained consciousness.

By the end of the meeting, Richard was still worried about Douglas's absence. He picked up his cell phone and called the human resources department.

— Any news from Douglas?

— Unfortunately not, Mr. Richard - said the assistant - We've tried our cell phone and home phone over and over.

— That doesn't make sense - he said as he put a coin in the soda machine - Douglas has worked with us for five years and has never been late. I can't believe he didn't see the news on the internet about the Skynet project. I need him here right away. If necessary contact a family member.

The Pepsi's can dropped to the bottom of the machine and when he bent down to pick it up, his attention fixed on the window to the parking lot. He noticed Douglas's car parked in the usual spot next to the fire hydrant. He felt his blood run cold as he realized that the car's windows were broken. He ran to talk to the security guard passing by, leaving the soda can behind him.