Chapter 6

Mexico. Somewhere on the road between Oaxaca and Puerto Escondido. 16:28

With a lit cigarette between his trembling fingers, John Connor sat in a plastic chair outside the convenience store. Inside, his mother was pushing Enrique for fake IDs. She wanted to leave for the US immediately, to meet Lukas Moser, owner of Winner Tools.

In a strange way he felt important again, though he had vomited right after the TV scene. The ghost of not being up to the post of the great leader of humanity haunted him again. He felt a severe headache slowly approaching, sneaking up.

Whoever Lukas Moser was, her mother was now stubborn and nothing would stop her from reaching her goal.

— Everything is alright! - said Enrique to Sarah. - Your passports are ready in an hour. You will travel as Mrs. Julia Brown and Mr. Robert Smith.

— OK. It's about six and a half hours of flight. We'll get there tomorrow morning - she said, glancing at her watch - Have you got a response from your contact with the Juarez Cartel? - she asked before taking a sip of the tequila bottle.

— Calm down Sarah! I sent the last message just two minutes ago.

Uneasily, she walked toward her son leaving the bottle of tequila on the counter.

— You chose a bad time to quit smoking - she said, seeing him with the cigarette between her fingers - But that's the least of our problems now.

She took the cigarette from his hand and took a drag.

— You know, I would have solved it myself before, but it seems that you're not a target this time. Besides, I prefer that you come with me so as not to lose sight of you.

He was able to read between the lines: his mother was worried he might have a drug relapse. She was right.

— I got a response from the cartel - said Enrique - They'll meet you at an address near the airport. They will hand you two .45 pistols and an AR 15 rifle, plus ammunition, of course. I also ordered two encrypted cell phones that cannot be tracked.

— And the car? - Sarah asked.

— A Toyota RAV4 SUV with a full tank will be at your disposal. The passport staff gave me the data, and I have arranged the airline tickets over the internet. You leave on the midnight flight.

— Excellent- she said before taking another drag of the cigarette.