Chapter 1

Not edited

Melanie

The rotating doors spin as I push to enter the lobby, the lemon scented cleaning supplies lingers from the morning cleaning crew. I step to the front desk and ask Penelope how things are running so far. She reports nothing out of the ordinary and I smile retreating to my office down the hall. I'm currently an assistant manger for a Hilton hotel and I'm proud to be one for the past nine months. After leaving England and coming to California to stay with my uncle Reggie, he required me to get a job if I was to stay with him. I worked up from a maid when I was in school and finally got the promotion to be assistant manger. I worked my ass off for this position because I'm hoping to own my own bed and breakfast by the time I'm thirty. Maybe a hotel some day too.

I originally planned to go back to the United Kingdom after school or at least holidays but the thought of running into him terrified me. I couldn't face his forest green eyes after watching them shed tears over me. I watched him brake in front of me and that's something I could never forgive myself for. I push the memory far back to my mind when Penelope knocks on my office door.

"Yes?" I ask her.

"There's a couple not happy about one of the waiters and demanding to see a manager."

Our manager doesn't come in for a couple of hours so it's my responsibility to fix this solution myself. I head over the hotel restaurant and with a fake smile and see the distress couple. A woman with her ginger locks pulled in a bun wearing an grey blazer and skirt with black button-up shirt. The man across her wears an marvelous black Armani suit, with his sandy blonde hair gelled to perfection. They are the human versions of Barbie and Ken dolls. I don't know if I should admire or envy how perfect the pair are.

"Hello, I'm Melanie, assistant manager. Our manager currently is out but I'll gladly help accommodate you this afternoon."

"Melanie, I don't typically complain but our waiter, Hector, gave us attitude every time we made a order or request. Then he made a crude comment about my fiancée." His eyebrow furrow telling me his complaint.

"He should be fired!" The lady fumes.

"Darling, he's just a kid. We just want an apology," he states.

I know Hector is having a hard time at home recently but he shouldn't lash out on our guest. It makes all of us look bad. I tell them to wait one moment while I go find Hector. He's outside behind the kitchen smoking a cigarette. I never know why people want to puff toxic smoke into their lungs, they're taking a step closer to death with every puff.

"Hector, I know your worried about your abuela but you can't take it out on the guest. They just want an apology."

"I'm sorry, Melanie for putting you into this situation. It's hard coming here knowing my abuela is sick in a hospital and we can barely pay the hospital bills while they live lavishly," he sighs puffing out smoke. I hate to see him addicted to smoking and he's only seventeen. His grandmother had a stroke two weeks ago and is in a coma. I know he's scared she won't wake or wake with major disabilities.

"I know Hector but it's sadly part of the job."

I understand what he means by these rich and fancy people who come to the hotel have it easy and seem to barely lift a finger to get what they want. It's hard to tell who has really worked for what they got when all of them act like spoiled brats. I occasionally meet nice wealthy guest but it rarely happens. I enjoy talking to the middle class guess that come to the hotel since their nicer, give great reviews, and I relate to them more.

Still, the blonde man was nothing but reasonable and his request should be refilled. Hector puts out his cigarette and follows me inside. I watch him apologize to our guest and give them a complimentary wine and desert of their choosing. They're pleased and go back to enjoying their lunch. Hector stays non hostile towards the guests for the rest of the day making my day easier.