Chapter 10

Harry

Jasmine grey eyes sparkle in the well light restaurant. An expensive chandelier hang high over the tables and live classic music plays softly in the background. We usually don't eat at restaurants like this but I wanted to do something special for our 3 year anniversary.

Jasmine long dark locks are pinned up in a bun, her sliver eyeshadow brightens her eyes as well as the stunning shimmering black dress. Her gentle hand sits in my while I grin admiring the beauty in front of me. How did I get so lucky?

"This place is really something, Harry." Jasmine flashes a smile looking around the restaurant.

"Well, I wanted tonight to be special." I dig into my suit pocket and pull out a turquoise box. Jasmine squeals and immediately covers her mouth after a few stares. I hand her the box and tell her to open it.

"Wow," she gasps taking out the silver necklace with a firefly pendant.

I thought it was perfect because it reminded me of the time we sat late at night in the park and watched the fireflies. It also has citrine (topaz) which is her birthstone. She begs me to put on for her and I rush over to her side and clamp the jewelry around her neck.

 She begs me to put on for her and I rush over to her side and clamp the jewelry around her neck

"Babe, it's beautiful. Thank you," she gushes.

"No problem, you deserve the best."

"I feel awful. My gift doesn't even compare to this."

"Don't I'm sure I'll love whatever you give me."

"Well, it's at your apartment, I left in your office," she grins. I haven't been in my office for two days she must've snuck it in on her visit yesterday.

We finish dinner and take a stroll through the park. The stars twinkle above in a beautiful array. Jasmine grips my forearm as we walk down a path that leads to our favorite bench. Resting our legs we take a seat. The view is perfect, we get to see the pond and city from this bench.

"Did you ever find someone for your daycare?"

"Yeah, why?"

I hired Melanie a couple days ago, I'd figured it be good to help her out. I knew she wouldn't accept the job if she knew I was the boss, so I told everyone not to say anything. I'll come in eventually, but I want her to get to love the job before showing my face.

"I had a friend who needed a job but it's fine. You've found someone."

"I'm actually looking for someone to take care of four and five year olds if they're interested in that."

"Yes! He is desperate." He?

"Okay, tell him to send his resume to me." She nods and we enjoy the sounds of nature.

***

I sit in my office going through tons of bridal magazines. Today was my day off and Jasmine thought I should spend it planing the wedding. Now, I'm desperately wishing Clara didn't get the conjunctivitis (pink eye) so our session wasn't cancelled today.

"I'm going dress shopping later, do you want to go try on some suits." That's not exactly how I planned today.

"No, I have some work to do here." I lie, the couch is calling my name.

"You don't have to lie, Harry. Just make sure you get one before the wedding," she says.

"Are you free Saturday? I'm supposed to look through my father's things." I rather have Jasmine with me if I have to see Melanie.

"No, I have to meet with the hotel for our wedding venue if I'm not there it'll be booked up until after our wedding. Then where will we have our reception," she rambles.

I nod knowing how important the wedding is to her, I just wish she supported me when I really need her like she used to. Ever since the engagement it's been only about the wedding, I don't think there's a day when she doesn't mention it. Yes, getting married is a huge deal but it's not for another year. I think we should focus on us more right now.

I want to tell all these things but, I know how important this all is to her. She's dreamed of her wedding since she was six and I don't want to be the one who gets in the way of that dream. Hopefully soon it'll be all planned and we'll have the rest of the time for us before we take our vows.

I look on my desk at a fame picture of Jasmine and I on our first date. It was Jasmine anniversary present she found it after all these years.

I bought her a new camera and brought with me. She immediately takes it out and places a memory card she keeps in her bag for emergencies. Never know when you're going run out of room, I suppose.

Jasmine messes with the settings for a minute and scoots her seat next to me. She turns the camera lenses towards and tells me to smile. The flash stings my eyes and I hear her giggles in my ear. I turn towards her enjoying her perfect smile. She moves her chair back across me and we order our coffees.

I smile at the memory, she took that camera everywhere for the next couple of months, capturing a lot of our memories.

"Since you're not doing anything meet with my friend about that job," Jasmine suggests gathering up her things. I nod, since she'll never stop telling me to until I do. I guess, that documentary I wanted to watch will have to wait.

***
I sit alone sipping my black coffee while waiting for Jasmine's friend. I was jealous for a moment because I thought I met all her guy friends who are either gay or married. But she told me this guy is single and straight. She said I have nothing to worry about but it's all I done since our dinner a couple nights ago.

Of course I don't think she would cheat, but I don't think anyone believes they're a cheater until it happens. I take a deep breath and release when I hear my name being called. I turn around and force a grin at the dark haired man. He sits down across me and flashes a smile.

"Hey, I'm Zayn." He holds out his and I give a quick handshake. I'm almost feel intimidated by him because he's has model like features why the hell would he need to work for me. A man like must have more options than working at a daycare.

"So, how do you know Jasmine?" I ask while he waits for his coffee.

"Our families have been friends forever. She's like my sister." Well that's good he only sees her as a sibling maybe he doesn't want to date her. He seems like a charming guy I worry that he could steal her from me if he wanted to.

He hands me his resume and I see he is way over qualified for this job. Why is he so desperate in finding a job? With this resume they're are way better opportunities for him than this one.

"Um, why do you want to work at a daycare? There's so many better jobs for you."

"Well, I got my ex-girlfriend pregnant and she's keeping the baby so I just want to be the best father for my kid. I think this will help me understand how to be a parent before the baby comes." I nod.

"Zayn, parenthood is the hardest job anyone can do. I'm glad you're wanting to be involved in your child's life. I don't know if this job will help you but I hope it does. You're hired."

"Thanks mate, you won't regret it."

✎✎✎✎✎

Okay, so Zayn in the story now. The character wasn't originally going to be Zayn but when I heard he was going to be a dad I thought why the hell not & change the name lol.

Vote/Comment for updates.