Chapter 3

Melanie

This can't be happening right now. I quickly hang up the phone after hearing the mans words and immediately pack my things. I don't even think about running into him at this point because my mother is far more important than me. I make sure to pack enough clothes and my passport. Uncle Reggie comes in an sees me frantically packing while bawling my eyes out.

"Woah, honey what's going on?" I almost break entirely I can't bring myself to repeat what that man said to me. Reggie comes to hug me letting me ruin his Gucci suit with my smearing mascara.

"Reggie, it's Mom. She and Daniel got in a car accident." They're currently in surgery have fighting for their lives. I pray that the doctors save them. I have to be on the next plane to London.

"Okay, lets go to the airport." He says and we take a cab. Every second feels like hours as we drive down the highway. I ask for the first flight to London not caring about the seating. I just want to get to see my mother. Sadly there is only one ticket for a plane leaving in less than 30 minutes and the next one isn't for hours.

"You go, I'll meet you there as soon as the next flight."

Uncle Reggie pays for my ticket and I hurry to board the plane. I go through all the security checks and make it just in time to board the plane. I thank all the people who let me cut in front of them after I told them about my situation. It made the process quicker. I must looked like a wreck; I didn't look at my appearance since I left the house. My eyes most look like a mascara massacre. The lady next to me hands me a makeup wipe and travel size bag of Kleenex.

I can't sleep the whole flight because I'm too on edge. My mother and Daniel could die and I pray it doesn't happen. I need my mother to live, she's my rock. I don't know what I do without her. My mind keeps replaying the words that none ever wants to hear.

"You're mother and stepfather were in a car accident their currently in surgery, we are doing everything we can to save them." I don't know if I talked to a doctor or nurse but I had many questions to ask I just couldn't when my heart was shattered in a matter of seconds.

The plane finally lands and I pray that both of them made it out of surgery okay. I take a taxi to St Thomas' Hospital. I try not crying as I walk to the nurse in the front desk.

"Hello, I'm here for my mother and stepfather, Miranda Styles and Daniel Styles." I know they should be out of surgery now I try to push the negative thoughts aside and have faith their okay. The lady types away on her computer and  informs me that both of them are in the ICU. I grab my bag and practically hold my breath until I reach my mother's room. Daniel is in a room couple rooms down the hall. I know he's in their watching Daniel hooked up to machines. I open the door to my mother's room and a nurse is checking her vitals.

"You must be the daughter, do you want me to get the doctor."

"Can I just have a minute with her alone first?" She nods and leaves the room. I take a sit in a chair close to the bed pushing it until I'm the closest I can get to my mom. She's unconscious with IV tubes coming out her nose. There's a metal rod surrounding her right arm and a bandage on her head. I don't how she is physically because I haven't talk to her doctor but she has a few cuts and bruises by the looks of it. Her arm is the only thing that's clearly broken. I grab her hand praying she wakes up from this.

"Mama, it's me, Melanie. If you can hear me please keep fighting. I still need you," I cry out. I hope my words get to her, my mother means everything to me.

The doctor informs me on the accident and my mother and Daniel's conditions. They were hit by a drunk driver who drove into the driver's side of the car and their car spiraled off the road. The driver went under cardiac arrest in surgery and died. I wanted to tell them off for putting Daniel and Mom through this. Daniel was driving and got the most serious injuries; broken ribs, dislocated shoulder and major head injuries. While my mother has a broken arm and a severe concussion. The doctor said my mother's bones in her arm were shattered and needed a bone fracture repair. He told me she should wake up soon but Daniel could take longer since his injuries are more severe. I pray they both wake up and leave this hospital together.

***

"Honey, you need to eat," Uncle Reggie says handing me a bag of burger and fries. He came in a few hours after I arrived and got a hotel room a couple minutes away from the hospital. I haven't left or ate since I got here two days ago. I can't sleep or eat until I know my mother will be fine. I need to see her open her eyes.

The food sits in my lap for a couple minutes and the smell tickles my nose. My stomach growls wanting me to devour the fast food in front of me. I finally cave, needing to refuel my body. Reggie goes back to the hotel after a couple hours to bring me some clean clothes. Kelly comes to visit after I finally informed everyone about the accident. I weep into my friends shoulders worried about my mother's life. I thought when I reunited with Kelly I'd be crying tears of joy at her wedding not in a hospital waiting for my mom to wake up.

"Melanie, your mother is the strongest woman I know, she'll get through this." I nod taking a better look at Kelly. She went back to her natural hair color, light brown. I haven't seen her natural hair since we were twelve. It honestly suits Kelly better than the blonde hair. She also looks a little bigger in her breast and waist but in her picture from a few weeks ago she didn't. I suspect she could be pregnant but she would've told me.

After, Kelly left I pace around tired of sitting. If I keep staring at my mother like this I'll lose my mind. I sigh, putting the palm of my hands on my face.

"What's wrong, sweetie." My head turns around hearing my groggy almost inaudible mother's voice. Her eyes are tired but she's awake. I rush to her side and cry but it's tears of relief. I kiss her cheek glad she's finally awake. "I was worried about you, Mama."

"Well, I'll be alright, baby."

***

A week passes and Daniel still wasn't woke or showed any signs of brain damage. My mother wants to see him, but the doctors say she needs to say in bed for a couple more days. I haven't gone to see Daniel afraid I'll run into him but, I know I can't avoid him much longer. I'll have to see Harry rather I like it or not.

✎✎✎✎
Thanks for reading!

Vote and comment for more updates!

It's spring break so I'll try to update at least 3 times instead of one this week.