18.

The door slammed open, startling me and making me grab my wand from under my pillow and pointing it at the door. Marlene walked in and rolled her eyes when she saw my wand being pointed at her. She laughed and proceeded to sit on the edge of my bed. During the past weeks, the girls and I had become a lot closer but I was surprisingly getting closer to Marlene than Lily or Mary. She reminded me of the boys in a more feminine, girly way and I liked that.

"You're not even holding the wand right, silly. It's the other way around." She said, laughing.

I put my wand away, sheepishly. "Whatever, at least I would be able to defend myself if a burglar decided to come up here and steal our things."

She gave me a confused look, "Why would a burgular- you know what, that doesn't matter" she laughed, "I need to talk to you about two things! First, why didn't you tell me your birthday was next week! The second thing is I heard a couple of girls say they saw you and Sirius looking quite relationship-y. What do you have to say for yourself?" She said, amused.

I ran my hand through my hair, "What do I have to say?! You'll never take me alive, never!" I said standing up.

She laughed and grabbed my arm, pulling me back down onto the bed, "You're such a goofball. But seriously, we should all do something for your birthday! Also, tell me about the Sirius thing!" she said excitedly.

"No to the birthday thing." I said, pointing my finger at her."Nothing happened between Sirius and I, it just looked like there was something."

Her forehead wrinkled in confusion, "Oh, so nothing happened but it looked like it did? That makes perfect sense." she said sarcastically.

I laughed, "Yeah, the girls were probably exaggerating about that. Nothing to worry about here."

She scratched the back of her neck, "Can I ask you something? You don't have to answer but me and a lot of girls are curious.." She bit her lip. "Are you dating Sirius?"

There it was. The question that I had been expecting since the beginning, I sighed, "No. Absolutely not. I'm just friends with him. I'm not dating James or Sirius or Remus or Peter. In fact, I'm not dating anyone at all. You know who I should be dating? Myself, I am great." I said, rambling madly.

"I hope you didn't take that the wrong way or anything, because that was not my intention. Believe me." She said, looking apologetic.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever." I said, smiling awkwardly.

She frowned, "Are you angry at me?"

I was. I hated the fact that I had to reassure everyone constantly that I was not dating any of the boys. Merlin, sometimes it felt like boys and girls couldn't possibly be friends without there being romantic involvement between them. It was annoying and the exact reason I didn't like to have any friends other than the boys.

I shrugged, "No, I'm fine." I said coolly, looking at anything but her.

She didn't look convinced, "You sure? You don't look fine." She tugged at my wrist, making me look at her. "I'm really sorry, I know you don't like when people assume you're dating one of them. I guess, I kind of wanted to set the record straight."

I twirled a strand of my hair, "Surprisingly, I understand. Let's just forget about it." I said honestly.

"I'm sorry," She said, looking earnest and enveloped me into a hug. I gladly appreciated and returned the gesture, a small smile working it's way up on to my face.