46.

We all nodded along with Remus, murmuring words of agreement. Now that they were actually talking like human beings and agreeing on things, they didn't look so awful together. Maybe there was a chance. I mean, no one thought that Sirius and I would be dating but you know what they say, life is full of twists and turns.

"Life is strange like that." I mumbled.

Remus looked at me, an amused expression on his face "You would know." making me chuckle and pat his shoulder.

"No one - no one's ever done something like that for me before." Lily said after letting him go. Her eyes were twinkling with what appeared to be happy tears. She then realised everyone's eyes were engrossed in them and she went pink, James noticed this and looked at us - pleading for us to do something and quickly.

Remus nodded and cleared his throat, "So, how about that cake?" He said, a charming smile on his face and he was met back with a loud cheer. We all made our way to the table, eager to get a slice of that cake.

James made the cake float all the way over to the table and Lily approached the table, a smile on her face. James then turned off the lights and lit up the candles on a cake, emitting a warm glow that almost made Lily look like she was shining. She gazed at the cake, a smile stuck on her face before looking up at all of us and shooting us all appreciative glances.

"Thank you all for this, I - I don't know what to say. I'm kind of overwhelmed actually, I just can't believe that you all did this for me." She said, tucking a loose strand of her ponytail behind her ear.

"It was James, actually." I piped up, grinning.

James looked up, his face reddening from the recognition I gave him. "It was nothing - Peter and Josie helped too," He said, laughing awkwardly.

Lily didn't seem surprised, however it did seem like it did tug on her heartstrings, "I'm sure it was," She laughed, "Thank you James." James looked like he was going burst into tears from happiness.

"Blow out the candles so we can eat the cake!" An excited girl announced, making the crowd chortle with laughter.

"Right, right of course." Lily said and was just about to blow out the candles before James stopped her, with a loud yell.

"Wait, wait! Make a wish first." he said and then looked at the candles, making sure she didn't blow any of it yet.

Lily looked up, surprised before she racked her brain. "You know what? I don't think I need to." She said, smiling at him warmly, making him turn a darker shade of red before blowing out the cake. The crowd cheered and clapped loudly as they each grabbed a slice of the cake. I laughed as I watched Peter excitedly yell, "I want the largest piece!"

James and Lily were quietly talking to themselves, Lily was avidly talking to James about something I couldn't hear, but James seemed to be interested. Or maybe he was pretending. Whatever it was, James couldn't take his eyes off of her and his grin was enough to put me at peace. We momentarily made eye contact and he gave me a thumbs-up when she wasn't looking before he went back to chatting with Lily.

I smiled as I watched people dig into the cake happily while talking loudly, the lively buzzing of people - the energy in the room it was intoxicating. I scanned the room for my friends, James looked like he was dreaming, his face was stuck in a permanent smile. Peter was excitedly enjoying his cake, Remus was re-telling the story of how they had managed to have this party without McGonagall noticing to a pretty Ravenclaw girl.