Chapter 17. My 17TH birthday.

The next three and a bit years went so quickly. I and Mom had lots of giggles together. But I could tell that Mom was hiding the truth from me. And for once it was nothing to do with my powers. I would have sleepless nights worrying about Mom and Dad. Their relationship ever since I had been banished to my room was strained. I heard them have arguments about it.

***

Today was meant to be a happy day. It was my seventeenth birthday. I and Mom were going to sneak me out on a horseback ride so I could get some fresh air. I had been trapped in my room for too long.

I was humming a song to myself when Mom did her knock. I smiled and opened the door. But when I stared at mom, I could tell that something was wrong.

"Um ... hi, Mom," I said. "What's wrong?"

Mom walked in and I closed the door. Once it was shut, Mom burst in tears. I ran to her and hugged her, I was the same height as her now and according to her, good at hugs. She held me to her and calmed down.

"What's wrong?" I insisted.

"Dad's not happy with our plan." Mom sighed. "It's all because of this war that's coming."

"The one with Hans and that other person?" I asked. "Screw them. I need fresh air. You know that."

"Adelade," sniffled Mom. "It isn't my fault I can't do what I promised. I don't want my little princess taken from me or my sister. I don't want to die, either."

"Get to the point," I said. "I'm sure there is a point in there somewhere."

"Dad and Kanron are leaving us to fight!" Mom blurted. "That's what they've been doing the last four years."

"Why?" I asked.

"This is why I and Dad had arguments." Admitted Mom. "I didn't want to lose him or Kanron to the other side. But I guess your dad is better to lead the troops than other people now that Mattias is retired. I trust him more than the other fools."

I couldn't help but laugh. "I'm sorry, but the way you said that, was so funny!"

Mom smiled. "But they are!"

We didn't stop laughing. It was good to see Mom laughing. I couldn't stop either. But my powers didn't come to play. Was Mom the key to calm me down? Was laughter the key?

***

After an hour of this, I looked at Mom. "It's okay. I was looking forward to it. But I guess it couldn't be helped."

"We'll make up for it." Mom hugged me. "Don't worry."

"I'm not!" I said.

"That's my little girl!" Mom kissed my head. "Now, I need to go."

"But why?" I bit my lip.

I didn't want to be alone again. I hated it when alone.

"I need to do papers, honey!" Mom sighed.

She hugged me.

"Try not to be upset about me and Dad," she told me. "We are okay."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes," said Mom.

"But how do you know?" I asked.

"I can tell you do because Frost creeps up all the castle," said mom. "Stop it, okay?"

"Oh," I bit my lip.

"I'm not angry," said mom. "If that's what is going on in your head."

She lay me down.

"Go for a night of sleep now," she said. "Alright?"

"But I don't want to be alone." I whimpered.

"I know that darling," said Mom. "But I have things to do."

I started to cry. This birthday was going all wrong for me. Instantly, the room temperature dropped to freezing. Mom looked at me.

"Calm down, honey," she soothed. "Please."

I felt suddenly cold. Oh no. It was a fall on panic attack. Just what I needed. The last thing I saw was Mom putting her hands on my chest and trying to keep me conscious, with no luck.

———————

A/N:

Happy Vallontimes day people of Wattpad.

How do you like this chapter?

Edited 15TH April 2024