08 | but his mother

* * *

* * *

« third person's pov: »

° ° °

4th July, 2021: New Delhi.

“Ishu…” Rhea called out softly, her heart wrenching at Ishika’s reaction but Ishika chose to yank her hand away, taking two steps back.

“No mumma, he cannot be my papa. He is so mean and… and he scolds Arav so much. I have… no mumma, please, he is not my papa…” she stammered, her eyes tearing up.

Rhea opened her mouth to say something; anything but Aditya beat her to it.

“Come here,” he said, almost authoritatively making Rhea frown. What the hell is he doing? She thought. Her first instinct constantly telling her to reach out to Ishika and hold her protectively against herself.

Ishika on the other hand crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head refusing to move even one step. This was not her papa, he couldn’t be. Ishika had seen pictures of her father. She remembered pestering her grandmother to show her pictures of her father when her mom refused to. And her grandmother melting at her sweetness and showing her a couple. This man looked nothing like him. He wasn’t her father, she wouldn’t believe it.

On not getting a reaction from Ishika, Aditya stepped in front of her and crouched down, smiling at her crookedly. Aditya had spent two hours tossing and turning in his bed before calling his brother and asking him how he should make Ishika feel normal and like she was safe and at home. She was a child and didn’t deserve to feel awkward; he wouldn’t want his Arav to feel like that. So, he was doing what his brother told him to do, make her feel comfortable.

“Ishika, do you like chocolates?” he asked, as Ishika stared at him, then blinked and then hesitantly nodded. Rhea watched the whole scene unfold in front of her in amazement. To say she was surprised by Aditya’s behaviour would be an understatement.

“Well, then you will like this.” Aditya said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a daily milk.

Ishika’s senses had heightened. Her eyes opened wide as her mouth watered at the sight of her favourite chocolate. She pressed her lips together and gulped in an attempt to suppress her urges.

“Go on, take this.” Aditya said, pushing his hand a little forward.

Ishika just shook her head in response to this and instead tugged at her mother’s salwar, “Mumma, I want to go to our room.”

Rhea opened her mouth again to speak but Aditya cut her off, making her frown, again.

“Come, I will show you.” Aditya was up on his feet again and had taken a step back to give Ishika some space however, he had also forwarded his hand out for her to hold. He waited, holding his breath.