14 | the all american restaurant

* * *

* * *

third person's pov:

° ° °

5th July, 2021: New Delhi.

"Will you be my date tonight?"

Rhea blinked, once, twice, thrice; yet, couldn't comprehend what he had just said, "Uh, uh, excuse me?" she stammered.

"God, that came out wrong. Um, I have a, I have a business meeting tonight and, and I have to have a plus one with me. I would've called one of my female friends but it would be inappropriate, considering," he paused, sneaking a glance at her, "Considering I am, I am married now." he mumbled the last part.

Aditya was pissed at himself. He had ended up agreeing to the whole farmhouse issue under Abhinav's influence and now unfortunately for his work he had to ask Rhea to be his date. The day hadn't been exactly pleasant for him.

"So, uh, will you, will you come with me?" he stuttered, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck, almost certain she was going to spit at him and tell him to screw off. Especially, after the incident that had taken place th―

"Alright," the strength it took for her to say that was immeasurable.

"Yeah?" he asked, raising his brows, not even trying to hide his surprise.

She didn't know why she did it though, why she agreed to it. However, at the back of her mind she felt compelled to do so. She felt like she would be held guilty if she didn't. So, she did the most sensible thing she could think of. She said,

"Yeah." nodding, with a tight-lipped smile.

It took a few seconds for Aditya to recover from the surprise but when he did he passed her a crooked smile and a thankful look.

"Thank you." he said, before turning on his heels, ready to walk out of the door.

"Wait," Rhea called out just then, making him turn around.

"Uh, you didn't tell me the timings and the dress code." she said, feebly.

Why was she whispering? She hadn't done anything wrong. She frowned at the thought and sat up straighter.

"Oh, sorry," he mumbled back, "It's at nine. A little late, I know, but it's supposed to be a dinner meeting. And the dress code is western, only if you are comfortable, You can wear anything, really." he assured her as she nodded slowly.

Giving her a final nod he walked out of the door. Both of them leaving a sigh of relief. Why were they always so awkward around each other? Shrugging the thought off, both of them continued going on their ways; Aditya compiled his documents while Rhea zipped up her bag, the diary inside long forgotten and picked out a beautiful navy maroon dress from her wardrobe.