Chapter 3

Night came and everyone started gathering around the bonfire, cheering and laughing. It was a welcoming party for the greenie but also a celebration of our life in the glade and how far we've come.

Drink in hand. I noticed Newt sitting down and talking with our new greenie. I still haven't introduced myself to him, now is probably a good time. I walked up to them. Newt noticed.

"Hey there." 

I spoke up as I approached them. "Mind if I sit here?"

The greenie seemed a bit stunned. Can't blame him, in a glade that's mostly full of boys, suddenly a girl appears. Of course he'd be surprised.

"Flora! Lovely of you to come join us." 

He said as he gestured me to sit down. The greenie was now in between me and Newt. 

"Greenie, this is Flora. Our glade's one and only daisy."

I snorted at the name.

Daisy. A nickname that some of the gladers came up with for me. Everyone had a different version for it. Lazy Daisy. Sleepy Daisy. Grumpy Daisy. You name it. 

Since my name was Flora, they assumed that maybe my name meant flower because of how similar it sounds. And they chose daisy because it was the only plant (that isn't vegetables or crops) that grew in our glade.

"Hi." I gave him a small wave. 

He gave a nod. Still unsure on what to say to me. 

Noticing his silence, I decided to break the ice a bit.

"You landed pretty hard during your little run this morning, you okay now?"

"Uh...Good I guess." 

He finally replied. About time, thought I was gonna have to end up being awkward with him for the rest of the night.

"Flora is one of our med-jacks, be warned, she will be pestering you non-stop with questions on your health when needed." Newt added.

I snorted at his comment. "Thanks Newt."

"Anyways, here." I gave him the drink in my hand. 

"Put some hair on your chest."

He took it and gave it a sip before ending up almost spitting it out and coughing. Me and Newt just gave each other a look of amusement and laughed a bit.

"Ugh, what is that?" 

He said with disgust while handing me back the drink.

"To be honest....We don't even know." Newt said while looking at his own glass of the same liquid. 

"It's Gally's recipe." He added while looking towards the group of builders. 

"A trade secret." I added

"Yeah, but he's still an asshole." The greenie said.

Me, being Gally's closest friend, I wasn't really surprised by the comment, every greenie that first arrived here felt the same way but eventually warmed up and became mutual with him as time passed. Not close, but to the point where they can have a conversation without having to go at each other's throats. 

But of course, that doesn't mean I'm just going to let anyone insult him like that.

"He saved your life today." 

I told the greenie as I looked at him. 

"Trust me, the maze is a dangerous place."

We both proceeded to explain about the maze and what the Runners do, from what I've noticed while having this conversation. This Greenie asks a lot of questions. But I don't mind, however I do kind of worry that his curiosity is going to get him in trouble some day.