Chapter 5

Bandaging slicers. Getting herbs at the garden from the track hoes. Grinding the herbs. Re-checking the supplies. Bandaging more gladers again. Every day was the same. We wake up. Do our part. Have our meals. Go to bed. The cycle repeats.

Sometimes I do question why we were sent here. We wake up in the box. Not knowing who we are or who we were other than our own names. And then find out that we're trapped in a place that is surrounded by a maze that moves and changes every night. Let's not forget about the grievers.

What is the point of this? What are the creators trying to do or trying to prove?

I was getting mixed up in my thoughts again. The gladers always did say I overthink a lot. I used to brush it off. But now I kind of see where they're coming from.

"Hello? Earth to Flora."

I snapped back into reality and realized I was on lunch break. Frypan waving his hand in front of my face. 

"You have a line waiting." He said

Confused. I turned to see a line waiting to get their food from the cook. Shoot, how long was I standing here? 

"Oh! Sorry." I said sheepishly before taking my plate and moving to go to my seat.

"Spacing out again?"

I looked up from my seat to see Gally, who then took a seat across from me. 

"Sorry, I just got lost in my thoughts again." I said, not looking at him and instead focusing on the piece of sliced potato on my plate with a fork.

"You want to tell me what happened or are you going to continue to play with your food?"

I stopped my actions. Are we really going to do this again? I appreciate his concern but sometimes it can be a bit over-bearing. 

"Did you not hear what I said? I just got lost in my thoughts, you know how much I can overthink sometimes." I said casually

"But you only overthink when you have something concerning in your mind." He replied back. "I've known you for almost two years now Flora, I can tell when you're worried about something."

This shank. He caught me again. As much as I hate to admit it, he really does know me, a little too well, sometimes we would joke that maybe we knew each other in our 'past lives'. But then again, maybe we did...

"Flora you're doing it again." 

Gally snapped me back out of my thoughts. I groaned and he just let out a small chuckle. 

"Alright, keep your secrets. But like I always said," He got up from his seat "If you need to talk about anything, you know where to find me. I'm going back to work."

I gave him a small wave and mouthed a thank you to him before he went back to his post. I sighed. Should I have told him about last night's memory? About my talk with Alby? 

No. It's best I don't tell him about it this time. We've been through enough, no need to go back and re-open the wounds again. I take a deep breath and just remember what Alby said to me.

"We have to put it behind us." I say to myself quietly before getting up and getting ready to go back to work.

Until a cry for help came out from the deadheads.

"HEY!! HELP!!!"

It was loud. Everyone in the glade immediately turned heads to the forest. It was Thomas, he was coming out of the deadheads yelling for help, he was being chased by someone. Good god...Is that Ben? What is going on?