Chapter 9

I carefully checked on the girl as she continued to sleep peacefully on the medjack bed.

A part of me is a bit happy that another girl came into the glade but I also can't shake the feeling that she was sent here for a reason.

The note wasn't helping either. And of course, Alby was fully awake now and he won't stop grunting and coughing in the back.

"What's going on? What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?" Newt walked in-with Minho and Thomas following from behind-bombarding me and Jeff with questions.

"Hey man, we got the same job the way you did..."

Newt turned to Thomas. "Well...Do you recognize her?"
Hesitant. Thomas glanced at me for a moment. "No."
"Really? Cause she seems to recognize you." Newt commented. I could only stand there and watch as the awkwardness tensed up in the room.

"What about the note?" Thomas asked, trying to change the subject.

"We'll worry about the note later."

"I think you should worry about it now." Thomas said seriously. Newt only stared at him blankly. "We've got enough to deal with at the moment."

Hearing Thomas's question. I can't help but think about it. 'She's the last one ever' what are the creators trying to tell us? Something isn't right. I intervened.

"He's right Newt....If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?" I looked at him with worry.

"No one said that, let's not, jump into any conclusions." He brushed it off.
"We'll just...We'll just wait til she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody's got to have some answers around here."

Me and Thomas exchanged a few looks for a moment. Before he completely turned to leave the hut.

"Where are you going?" A confused Newt asked as he watches him walk away.

He answered without hesitation.

"Back into the maze."

Hearing this, Minho let out a sigh before following him out. Thomas really is different from the rest.

I turned to look at Newt who was still trying to process on what he just heard from Thomas.

"The new guy sure is something huh?" I asked, trying to lighten up the mood. Newt just groaned a bit. "He's clearly got himself a death wish."

I chuckled. Poor Newt. Being second in command was never really fun for him.

"Don't worry. I'm sure he knows what he's doing. I think." I said as I continued to check up on the girl once more.

"You're being quite hopeful for the new guy." Newt looked at me with arms crossed. "Did something happen?"

I just stared back at him. Giving back a light shrug. "No. Just that...He's clearly going to keep trying no matter how many times we tell him not to." I said casually.

"You should just make him a runner."

Of course that was meant to be a joke but Newt's face seemed to lit up a bit when I mentioned that. As if he suddenly had an idea.

"Anyways, the girl seems to be fine. Still out cold but she's okay. We should leave her be and let her rest for the moment." I said while motioning Jeff and Newt to leave as well.

________________________________________________________________________________

It was break time and I was drinking peacefully until Minho sat across me. Arms crossed on the table. Not saying anything. Just stared at me with a gleam of mischief in his eyes. What is he up to?