Chapter 6

Gally and I were both sitting down at the homestead, waiting for me to calm down a bit. He gave me a cup of water which I silently accepted. Taking a sip, I let out a breath.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Gally asked calmly. I turn to look at him, expressions looking softer than usual, he never really shows this side to anyone. I must have worried him a lot.

Taking another deep breath, I calmly told him about everything that was on my mind, from the memory of my first arrival to my visit to George's grave, but of course leaving out some parts from my conversation with Alby.

"I don't know, I tried my best to leave it behind me but after seeing Ben today...The memories from two years ago started flooding back...It just reminded me of what happened to George."

As always, Gally just sat there and listened to every word that came out of my mouth. We sat in silence and looked at the glade for a while before I spoke up.

"Ben...He's gonna get banished, isn't he?" 

It was Gally's turn to sigh this time. He answered my question with a small nod. 

"Alby and the others have been trying to get a word out of him." He turns to me "But he keeps spewing out nonsense." 

I was silent. Not knowing what to say. 'Maybe he'll get better?' Yeah right. There's no point, no matter what I say, he's still gonna get banished. 

"I see." was all I could say. 

Another awkward silence erupted between us once again. So I got up and gave him back the cup of water. 

"Thanks for today. I should get back to work."

"No" He cut me off, "I talked to Alby and the rest of the med-jacks today, they said you should take the day off and rest for today." 

"But-"

"No buts, plus it's almost evening, so there's no point in going back to work today. Please Flora." 

Gally pleaded. He's always like this. Usually I'd talk back and tell him it's not necessary but I decided to let it go for today seeing how worried he was today, along with Jeff and the others. 

"Okay.." 

With that, he nodded and gave me a pat on the shoulder before leaving. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Dusk was arriving as a few gladers including Alby and the rest of the Keepers, stood in front of the entrance of the maze, long wooden poles in hand. 

It's not long until the doors close. I was with Chuck and Thomas, watching from afar as Minho dragged a tied up Ben to the group, who was begging for his life.

I noticed Chuck looking a bit pale as he looked at the scene. Other than Thomas, this was his first time seeing a banishment-let alone a case of The Changing. Poor kid. No one this young deserves to see something like this. It was my turn to be the bigger person in this situation.

"Chuck, you okay?" I asked, looking at the young boy. 

He just gave a silent nod, but his expressions were definitely the opposite. 

Ben was now kneeling on the ground, vomiting and sobbing as he continued to plead. 

"No no please don't! Please don't do it!!" He choked out

Minho, who was standing in front of him, could only watch his running partner in distress as he threw a bag of food and water into the entrance of the maze. Just then, a familiar roar and gust of wind came out. The walls are closing.