Chapter 13

Just when I thought I could finally sleep, I end up dreaming again.

To be honest. Are they even dreams anymore?

"She's not supposed to go in there...Are you sure this experiment of yours is going to work?" 

I heard faintly, it sounded like a man's voice, raspy and commanding

"I know what I'm doing." 

A familiar voice rang in my ears, it was the lady who I first saw in my dreams, it has to be.

"She is equally valuable as the rest, her brain waves are extraordinary, for all we know this experiment could help us go further." 

She sounded persuading, but yet, I can't help but feel like she's hiding something.

"And if it fails?" the man asked.

I tossed and turned in my sleep as the voices continued on in my head.

"She won't fail us."

Her voice echoed, suddenly, visions started coming in like flashbacks, I saw people with surgical masks looming over me, I realized I was lying on a medical bed, am I in the middle of some surgery right now? What are they doing to me?

It flashed again, it all went so fast I could barely keep up with what I was seeing, and then it stopped, everything suddenly felt quiet for a moment

But then the encounter of Alby's outburst at Thomas today played in my head

"You shouldn't be here! YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE!" 

I heard his voice over and over again, I shut my eyes tightly. 

"Why are you here?! WHY ARE YOU HERE?!"

Wait, this isn't Alby's voice. 

I suddenly found myself on the ground, getting strangled and straddled by a stung George, I couldn't breathe as air started to cut out from my throat, tears threatened to spill out of my eyes, I felt helpless and weak as he tightened his hold on my neck, I was terrified and feared for my life.

"You're not supposed to be here! YOU WERE NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!!!"

Everything went black. Silence took over.

I gasped as I sat up from my hammock, frantically moving around for a moment before realizing I was back in the glade again. It was still early in the morning, I assumed, since everyone was still out like a light, sleeping peacefully. 

These dreams, memories, whatever it is, are starting to get really annoying. Groaning softly, I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration and took a deep breath, I don't think I'm going back to sleep any time soon, and my shift to look after Alby is in a few hours, might as well just wait it out.

Trying my best to not wake anyone up, I slowly got off the hammock and put on my shoes, looking around, my eyes landed on the pit across from me in the distance, remembering last night, I need to go retrieve my water bottle from him before anyone finds out Chuck gave him food last night.

Walking to the pit, I stopped and knelt at the prison like cell in front of me, Thomas was already awake, but somehow he doesn't seem surprised at my arrival, he suddenly just grabbed the water bottle beside him and handed it to me

"Thanks." he said simply with a faint grin "Chuck told me last night that you'd probably come here to get this back." 

I stared at him blankly before taking the water bottle from him, nodding, I sat down in front of the cell for a while, an awkward silence erupting between us, seeing Thomas sit in the pit like that, I can't help but feel a bit bad for him, especially with how Gally has been treating him