Backup? (P.P.)

This may be a bit angsty, but there will be a part 2 :).

It has been about a month since you started dating Peter, he's been your crush for the longest time and the day he asked you out was one of the happiest days of your life if you were being honest.

But... you felt... off.

When you started dating, it was about a month after him and Liz broke up.

You were sitting at your regular lunch table with Peter, Ned, and Mj sitting at the end of the lunch table reading her book.

You looked up from the book you were reading and glanced at Peter, you can see him staring longingly at something across the room.

In confusion, you followed his gaze to see him gazing at Liz, who was happily chatting with her friends.

You look back at him and see him sigh softly.

Swallowing, you go back to your book, hoping that this want anything serious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been about two weeks now, and every time you were with Peter he was always looking at something else.

More like someone else.

You would try to be the best for him, try to make him happy and get over Liz.

But maybe... he wasn't over her just yet.

"He did move on quite quickly..." you mumble to yourself as you attempted to focus on your English homework.

English was easy, you were top in your classes.

You decided to confront him the next day at his apartment, scared to find out if you were just a backup to him...

The one question that ran through your mind nonstop was "does he actually like me?" You think.

Before you had a crush on him, Peter was your best friend, you'd hang out all the time, you were scared that this would ruin your friendship.

Because being a rebound hurts like sh*t.

You arrived at his apartment and knocked, pulling on the sleeves of your oversized hoodie.

"Peter can you get that?" You hear May yell
A few footsteps later, Peter opens the door.

He sees you standing there and is surprised.

"Hey." He says

"Hi... can we talk?" You ask nervously.

He nods and lets you inside.

You walk in and he motions for you to sit on the couch.

You sit and he sits next to you, facing you.

"So, what's up?" He asks

"Peter why did you ask me out?" You ask

He frowns slightly.

But other than that, he's quiet.

"I- I- uh..." he stutters

You can already feel your heart breaking.

"Peter do you actually like me?" You ask quietly.

He stutters and tried to speak.

"What's the actual reason you started dating me? If you don't like me that way, which I know you don't because you're not answering my question. I've been your best friend for years, I know how you act." You say

He stares at you with soft eyes, but you can see the fear and nervousness behind them.

Taking a deep breath, you finally asked the question that's been on your mind.

"Peter am I a rebound?" You ask with a quiet voice.

He stares at you with wide eyes.

He doesn't say anything, he fiddled with his fingers and stayed quiet, staring at his lap.

"Peter... you could've told me instead of leading me on to think you actually liked me that way." You mumble.

He looks up at you for a moment before looking back at his lap.

"You could've spared the pain you know? It would've been better if you were just honest with me." You say, feeling your heart break already.

You feel the tears prick your eyes.

"I actually genuinely thought..." you say as you shake your head.

"Y/n I-." He starts

You cut him off.

"I have to go. I'm sorry if I didn't make you happy. I'll see you around Peter." You say quietly as you got up and walked out.

You closed the door behind you and waited for a moment, trying to see if he would come back and try to apologize at least, you'd be fine with that and try to keep the friendship you have.

But he didn't.

The tears finally pour out, and you knew it was stupid to cry over something like this.

But Peter was your best friend, really the only person you ever hang out with besides Mj and Ned.

You walked toward the elevator and headed downstairs.

When you got outside, it was raining and you didn't have an umbrella.

So, you walked out, not caring that your clothes were soaked by the time you got home.

What you didn't notice, was Peter staring at you through the window as you walked towards your house.

He felt so guilty, but it was true that you were a rebound, just using you to get over Liz.

"I'm so sorry." He whispers

Once you got home, you took a shower and changed into your pajamas, throwing another hoodie on.

You put your hands into the front pocket.

You feel a piece of paper, in the pocket and you take it out, regretting it almost immediately.

It was a picture of you and Peter.

You sigh softly and put in in a drawer, feeling the tears prick at your eyes again.

You sat on your bed and thought for a moment.

What he did really hurt you, and you know it was stupid to cry over it, but you couldn't help it, Peter is so sweet you you thought he'd never hurt you or anyone like this.

Guess you were wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ah, angsty.
Next chapter will hopefully be up soon :)
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Have a great day and stay awesome guys!
-Allyssa 🦄💜❤️
Written: 5/10/20
Word count: 974
Published: 5/10/20